Revised best mens singles skater of all time? | Golden Skate

Revised best mens singles skater of all time?

Best mens singles skater of all time?

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Similar to my best ever womens skater of all time, I was able to use my first poll for the best mens skater of all time as a test, to judge if I used the best combination of options and who should be replaced on the poll. Since after 61 votes not a single vote was cast for Karl Schafer, Gillis Grafstrom, or either Jenkins brother, and only 1 vote was cast for Ulrich Salchow, leaving 60 of 61 votes spread out over only 4 out of 9 poll options I realized my initial poll choices were pretty much a disaester in this case, even worse then my original womens poll choices. There were also requests for different inclusions, particularly Browning, so I have decided it is best to also give an adjusted poll for the men too.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's always been Kurt... it always will be Kurt...

ETA - why do I have a feeling this poll is going to be Kurt v Yags? :lol:

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I cast my vote for Dick Button - though I was just an early grade-schooler who saw Button skate only in the movie newsreels at the theater.

If I could cast a 2nd vote for a skater in the more modern era, it would be Brian Boitano. His narrow victory over Brian Orser in the "Battle of the Brians" in '88 is still to me, the most exciting men's performance in my lifetime.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That was tough, but I voted for John Curry.......I guess I voted for grace and style over power and jumps.......but really, I love them all........42

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
One question: is there anyone who actually dislikes Yagudin's skating? I've never heard of anyone who does.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Youtube has all of those that are listed?

Yep, but it's still not the same as having really seen them for years and years on TV. I watched some skates from Curry, Browning, Cranston etc. on youtube. It is also possible to acknowledge their skills, talent and artistry - but it's just not the same. What Browning is for someone who was born like 10 years before me - is Yagudin for me, I still remember seeing him on TV in 1997 when he won Bronze at the Worlds, I was 13 I think. And I watched him again, season after season and admired him, his development... Yagudin had his flaws and perhaps some of the other skaters on that list are actually more deserving of being the best men's singles skater - but not for me. I doubt that this question can be answered impartially.

I would go with Curry (and Browning a close second) because of his impact on the sport after his competitiove days were over.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
One question: is there anyone who actually dislikes Yagudin's skating? I've never heard of anyone who does.

Well, I ´m not any special Plushenko fan and I disliked Yagudin´s skating and his person on the ice long before I even saw Plushenko´s skating, LOL. My dislike towards Yagudin started at the 1996 Europeans which was the first time I saw his skating.

My vote goes to John Curry, because of the beauty of his skating & jumping and because he is the very skater that got me interested in men´s skating in the beginning of seventies.

slove26

Spectator
I voted other. I like Todd Eldridge. He was such a strong masculine skater, dont get me wrong I like skaters like Johhny Weir and Adam Rippon, but to me Todd and Elvis Stoijko were strong and had good well centered spins.

lane85

Spectator
Well, I ´m not any special Plushenko fan and I disliked Yagudin´s skating and his person on the ice long before I even saw Plushenko´s skating, LOL. My dislike towards Yagudin started at the 1996 Europeans which was the first time I saw his skating.

My vote goes to John Curry, because of the beauty of his skating & jumping and because he is the very skater that got me interested in men´s skating in the beginning of seventies.

It's fine that you like Curry better. But how can you dislike a 15 year old? That's just harsh, lol...Alexei was just starting out then. He didn't even really have much of a style. If you dislike the way he skates Winter or Gladiator - that's another story.