Revised best mens singles skater of all time? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Revised best mens singles skater of all time?

Best mens singles skater of all time?

• Total voters

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi of course...and he hasn't even reached his best yet.
Perhaps it would be best to actually wait and see what he does with his career before crowning him the greatest of all time? Certainly he's a fine skater but he's yet to win an olympic medal, a world championship or even GPF - not to mention that it's much to soon to see if he'll have any lasting influence on the sport.

I've got to go with public opinion on this one - definitely Yagudin.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Kurt Browning. Sure, he bombed at Olympics, but he's the greatest artist in figure skating.

nippponophile

Rinkside
Perhaps it would be best to actually wait and see what he does with his career before crowning him the greatest of all time? Certainly he's a fine skater but he's yet to win an olympic medal, a world championship or even GPF - not to mention that it's much to soon to see if he'll have any lasting influence on the sport.

I've got to go with public opinion on this one - definitely Yagudin.

"Best" has a certain amount of subjectivity in it, and for me is not measured strictly in terms of number/colour of Olympic/Worlds medals. Some of the skaters I would include in my "best" list never won an Olympic Gold (e.g. Paul, Brian O.). They are "best" to me because of their technical prowess, artistry and how memorable and moving and influential their performances were. On that basis, Daisuke is already on my "best" list.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
"Best" has a certain amount of subjectivity in it, and for me is not measured strictly in terms of number/colour of Olympic/Worlds medals. Some of the skaters I would include in my "best" list never won an Olympic Gold (e.g. Paul, Brian O.). They are "best" to me because of their technical prowess, artistry and how memorable and moving and influential their performances were. On that basis, Daisuke is already on my "best" list.
Actually, I think what you're referring to would be better described as "favorite skater" rather than "best skater". I feel the latter implies a certain level of objectivity - e.g. I'm not a fan of Michelle Kwan but I recognize her talent and her influence on other skaters. So I do feel that at the very least, a skater should have some accomplishments and longevity, and should have had an effect on other skaters. I don't think Daisuke qualifies yet, on either count. Yagudin does; Browning does (even sans medals). To a lesser degree, Plushy (again, I'm not a fan). Possibly others, but my figure skating track record isn't that long. Another obvious example would be Gordeeva and Grinkov in pairs.

(I may be biased here; I strongly disliked Takahashi's hip-hop Swan Lake). :)

Teenes

On the Ice
Kurt Browning. Sure, he bombed at Olympics, but he's the greatest artist in figure skating.

And yet he started off being known for his technical ability, as a jumping bean, what with the first-ever quad, first to do the triple sal-triple loop combo, first to land 2 3-axels in the same original program, first to do 3 triple-triple combos in one program, only skater ever to win Worlds both with and without figures... And of course, his footwork is awesome and innovative, and he keeps pushing what he does with it. When you're known both as a technical pioneer and considered one of the greatest artists in figure skating... yeah that's where my vote goes, too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

He bombed in 92, but I think he redeemed himself in 94 (SP wasn't that great, but it wasn't as bad IMHO as the whole of 92)

who'd have thunk it that 88 would be the least emotionally draining/disappointing for Kurt and his fans?

jcoates

Medalist
I would go with Curry (and Browning a close second) because of his impact on the sport after his competitiove days were over.

I agree. If you look back at men's skating before Curry (and Cranston) came along, it was shockingly rigid and bland with few exceptions. After the '76 Olympics, male skaters all of a sudden felt much freer to use bolder music choices and choreography than before. He was a real innovator whose impact is still felt today.

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm not sure you can really say who the "best" is. If you're just counting titles, I guess Dick Button, but he was an American in the years right after WWII, when most of the world was destroyed and had bigger concerns than doing well in sports. Not sure there was such a strong playing field.

In the recent years, if you're just counting titles, you could easily make the case for Browning, Yagudin or Plushenko. Even without an Olympic medal, Kurt Browning still has 4 world titles. Yagudin had probably the shortest eligible career out of the three (not his choice I guess), but had one hell of a run with 4 world titles, an Olympic Gold and having never finished off the worlds podium. And Plushenko has one fewer world titles, but has two Olympic medals and may not be done yet.

A lot of favorites are not always the "best" in terms of medal counts. It's all a matter of taste. I'm personally partial to Kulik and Yagudin.

lcd

Match Penalty
Hands down... Kurt Browning... total and absolute versatility (Yagudin's shortcoming IMO...plus, like Elvis... ever see their spirals? Aaaach....

Kurt... first quad... put on ANY music... and he can skate to it.... his professional career only made him better...