4th by points - Joannie Rochette: 168.18 + 169.91 = 338.09

How the Grand Prix Final SHOULD have played out:
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Yukari Nakano
4. Joannie Rochette (won't make it)
5. Kimmie Meissner
6. Sarah Meier (won't make it)

Hopefully, by the time the World Championships come around and if Joannie and Sarah maintain solid, consistent training and competition progression, they will have their day under the sun too, but right now it is a sad day for their fans and respective skating federations. Rochette has proven that she is competitive for a World Bronze medal if she continues her steady path and makes small improvements. It's not fair IMO that the GP Finalists are still selected using the old method from the 6.0 Rule Book. It's just not right . . . oh well, what can you do? Just another instance of unfair controversy in this sport.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
without giving an NHK spoiler, are these the offical GPF skaters?? If Caroline is going, you just made my weekend!

dlarry1

Rinkside
Apparently the 1000 times it has been said are not enough.

You CANNOT compare points between events. Different callers, different judges, different competition, different ice.

I can't see how the GPF qualifications for the year are either unfair or controversial...

netnuts

Match Penalty

You CANNOT compare points between events. Different callers, different judges, different competition, different ice.

I can't see how the GPF qualifications for the year are either unfair or controversial...

Exactly. If Caroline Zhang did not get dinged at SA, she could easily score above 110+.

I'm not impressed with Sarah Meir at all. How in the hell could a program with only 3 clean triple score over 100 points?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're actually going to try and convince me that Kimmie, Caroline, and Carolina out-skated Joannie in the Grand Prix Series this season? You HAVE to be joking . . . the skating speaks for itself, regardless of the callers, the judges, the ice, whatever. There's no question Joannie out-jumped them all and her presentation, maturity, and style are very much appreciated in my eyes. The weakest part of her skating are her spins, but she was still better than those 3 IMO.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. If Caroline Zhang did not get dinged at SA, she could easily score above 110+.

She under-rotated many of her jumps. How can you fairly say that they shouldn't have been downgraded?, and this is coming from a Caroline fan.

feraina

Record Breaker
OMG, Caroline's going to GPF! :love::love::love: Oh, I'm so happy for her! Awesome job, Caroline! That makes four years in a row that the new Junior World champion qualified for next year's GPF (Miki Ando, Mao Asada, and Yu-na Kim). Go Caroline! :rock:

Callers were clearly MUCH more strict at SA than anywhere else, and as the season went on, the callers got more and more lenient culminating in NHK with the highest relatives scores (in terms of actual skating content). I would definitely interpret the absolute scores with a grain of salt -- while Joannie Rochette definitely skated really well, it's really questionable that Sarah Meier with her two poor LP skates should have a point total greater than Caroline.

Anyway, come World Championship, they will all skate on the same ice, with the same technical and judging panels, and then we'll see how they all stack up against each other! (Well, except for poor Caroline, who won't get to go no matter what... She's the second after Mao to qualify for the GPF and not be age-eligible for the WC, right?)

dlarry1

Rinkside
That makes four years in a row that the new Junior World champion qualified for next year's GPF (Miki Ando, Mao Asada, and Yu-na Kim).

That's a very impressive streak. I don't know how long the GPF has been around, but I doubt there's been another series of talent like that to have an immediate impact upon moving from juniors to the senior grand prix.

And kudos to Joannie for having better skates this year. If she's as amazing as you say, she has plenty of time to prepare and dazzle us at Worlds.

bekalc

Record Breaker

I'm not impressed with Sarah Meir at all. How in the hell could a program with only 3 clean triple score over 100 points?

So, That doesn't change the fact that Zhang did not score well in China.... Rochette scored over 110 in the free at both of her events. Are you going to argue that Caroline was underscored in China?

feraina

Record Breaker
So, That doesn't change the fact that Zhang did not score well in China.... Rochette scored over 110 in the free at both of her events. Are you going to argue that Caroline was underscored in China?

Netnuts was comparing Zhang with Meier, not Rochette. I think he would agree that Rochette skated very well in the LP's. But the SP is there for a reason, Joannie placed 5th in the SP in both events. If you want to relegate the SP to irrelevance, or eliminate it altogether, then that's another discussion. I guess the rationale of the SP is that you have to demonstrate that you have the competence to do one combo, one triple out of footwork, one axel, two spins, one spiral seq, one footwork seq -- such that you cannot make up your relative weaknesses in one area in another. Joannie for whatever reasons hasn't been able to deliver the SP. Under the old 6.0 system, she'd be even worse off than she is now!

To be fair, Zhang should only have two triples downgraded at most in the SA LP: 3T and 3S. That still makes it a 5-triple plus two 2A program, with no falls or pops. At CoC, she also delivered a 5-triple plus two 2A program, with two falls (3F and 3Z) instead of two UR's. With both programs she scored under 100. She also delivered two beautiful SP's including 3F/3T's (the downgrade at SA was questionable, especially as they gave her credit for the 3T but not the 3F, bizzare!).

Sarah Meier, on the other hand, won NHK LP with 104 points but only three clean triples (and 1 2A). Her skates at TEB were even worse (not quite two clean triples in the LP). And Sarah also suffers from lack of speed and power, so she doesn't even really trump Caroline on that front (at least not to the obvious extent as Yu-na, Mao, Kimmie, or even Miki).

I am REALLY glad that this year's GPF qualification did NOT have to rely on point totals for tie-breakers, but was entirely determined by placements alone. I think there are SERIOUS problems in the inconsistency of CoP scoring across events. They need to either make it more consistent quickly, or change the rules for GPF qualification and GP qualification (for the next year) to depend less on absolute scores.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Caroline was underscored in China?

Netnuts was comparing Zhang with Meier, not Rochette. I think he would agree that Rochette skated very well in the LP's. But the SP is there for a reason, Joannie placed 5th in the SP in both events. If you want to relegate the SP to irrelevance, or eliminate it altogether, then that's another discussion. I guess the rationale of the SP is that you have to demonstrate that you have the competence to do one combo, one triple out of footwork, one axel, two spins, one spiral seq, one footwork seq -- such that you cannot make up your relative weaknesses in one area in another. Joannie for whatever reasons hasn't been able to deliver the SP. Under the old 6.0 system, she'd be even worse off than she is now!

Joannie's short program at Skate Canada really wasn't that bad. It was shaky, but she didn't fall or pop a jump. She was just lowballed PCS wise.

And well yes, the short program is there for a reason, but total score wise, Joannie scored higher than both Caroline and Meier, by a long mile... And it's the total scores that matter... Even if you add those three triples to Caroline's score, she's still not going to end up with a higher point total (overall) than Joannie.

Sackie

Medalist
Let's not forget that the callers have been hard on Joannie too and she has also not done a clean LP and yet has scored very well!
Actually Joannie not going to the GPF is probably a good thing! The one year she went and won the bronze she put too much pressure on herself to do well at worlds.
Now she can rest at home and practise more and get those last couple of jump passes in with out errors. If she does her score can only go up and she could easlily beat 120 in the long.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Let's not forget that the callers have been hard on Joannie too and she has also not done a clean LP and yet has scored very well!
Actually Joannie not going to the GPF is probably a good thing! The one year she went and won the bronze she put too much pressure on herself to do well at worlds.
Now she can rest at home and practise more and get those last couple of jump passes in with out errors. If she does her score can only go up and she could easlily beat 120 in the long.

Yep, I think she has a great shot at a world medal this year.. If she can stand up to the pressure...

Wrlmy

Medalist
Yep, I think she has a great shot at a world medal this year.. If she can stand up to the pressure...

Yes she does!! She also had a great shot in 2006, maybe not in 2007 though. I hope she comes up with a better layout than two sequences.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes she does!! She also had a great shot in 2006, maybe not in 2007 though. I hope she comes up with a better layout than two sequences.

I think that Rochette would help herself out a lot, by ditching the 3/3 in the short, and putting it in her long program. I don't know why she doesn't attempt it in her long.. I would think going for that triple/triple in the long would be less stressful, and once she started hitting it, she'd probably be able to develop confidence with it.

But yeah, the judges were totally willing to give Joannie the world championship in 2006, and she blew it.

fairly4

Medalist
joannie

we all have our favorites and the skaters we want in the GPF over people we don't in. Why because skating is a judged sport. our favorite skaters are one who we want to get in-- Joannie for example, kimmie, Caroline z, Caroline k, Sarah m, Mao, yu-na, yukari n, miki.
we are just as prejudiced as the judges and technical caller ;why we are human.
the skating community is not going to satisfy everyone. the bottom line is the skaters has to be consistent and the judging has to be consistent. but the skaters aren't consistent and neither is the judging.
all i think is this forum is to vent your frustrations not at being fair.
we can all make points as to who should, would have been in the gpf. the end result is what it is.
joannie made most of her mistakes in the short program where they were more consistently being judged harder on all the skaters in all of the gp events , instead of the long.
it just goes to show that we fans aren't happy unless we complain about something.

bekalc

Record Breaker
we all have our favorites and the skaters we want in the GPF over people we don't in. Why because skating is a judged sport. our favorite skaters are one who we want to get in-- Joannie for example, kimmie, Caroline z, Caroline k, Sarah m, Mao, yu-na, yukari n, miki.
we are just as prejudiced as the judges and technical caller ;why we are human.
the skating community is not going to satisfy everyone. the bottom line is the skaters has to be consistent and the judging has to be consistent. but the skaters aren't consistent and neither is the judging.
all i think is this forum is to vent your frustrations not at being fair.
we can all make points as to who should, would have been in the gpf. the end result is what it is.
joannie made most of her mistakes in the short program where they were more consistently being judged harder on all the skaters in all of the gp events , instead of the long.
it just goes to show that we fans aren't happy unless we complain about something.
Joannie isn't necessarily my favorite, and I undestand why she isn't there. But she still made less mistakes than others, and clearly belongs at the top. Oh well then, it's shades of Shizuka not making the GPF even when she was the third highest eligible scoring lady....

carolinefan177

On the Ice

To be fair, Zhang should only have two triples downgraded at most in the SA LP: 3T and 3S. That still makes it a 5-triple plus two 2A program, with no falls or pops. At CoC, she also delivered a 5-triple plus two 2A program, with two falls (3F and 3Z) instead of two UR's. With both programs she scored under 100. She also delivered two beautiful SP's including 3F/3T's (the downgrade at SA was questionable, especially as they gave her credit for the 3T but not the 3F, bizzare!).

Sarah Meier, on the other hand, won NHK LP with 104 points but only three clean triples (and 1 2A). Her skates at TEB were even worse (not quite two clean triples in the LP). And Sarah also suffers from lack of speed and power, so she doesn't even really trump Caroline on that front (at least not to the obvious extent as Yu-na, Mao, Kimmie, or even Miki).

I am REALLY glad that this year's GPF qualification did NOT have to rely on point totals for tie-breakers, but was entirely determined by placements alone. I think there are SERIOUS problems in the inconsistency of CoP scoring across events. They need to either make it more consistent quickly, or change the rules for GPF qualification and GP qualification (for the next year) to depend less on absolute scores.

Couldn't agree more!!! Caroline was caught for underrotations that would have otherwise been neglected at other events, and I, frankly, do not agree with Mier's scores. One has to consider the the events in their entirety to make a decision on who is or should have made the GPF, and looking at Caroline's placements and predicaments (injury, strict technician, bad ice, etc.), I'd say she deserves her spot. Plus, she is more consistent, imo, than either Joannie or Mier.