Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS

  1. #1
    Custom Title Geesesk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    151

    Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS

    Last edited by Geesesk8; 12-02-2007 at 08:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Wow Caroline Zhang really needs to send a thank you note to Ashley Wagner. If Wagner hadn't beaten Meier in Paris, Meier would have been in the GPF over Zhang.. Because Meier's total point scores is just about 1 point higher than Zhang's... EEK. (I'm not going to say that Meier deserves to be there though because Zhang did have a harder technical caller in Skate America.

    Still poor Joannie 29 points ahead of the Caro's, and 17 points ahead of Meissner, and still not in the GPF..

    Interestingly enough looking at the scores, Yu-na Kim finished with 20 more points than Mao... And Mao had only 15 more points than Nakano... I'm interested to see if Mao's upgraded her jump content.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,041
    It seems like in pairs S&S and Z&Z will be fighting for the gold, and everyone else for bronze.

    Interesting that Mukhortova and Trankov had the third highest point total, but didn't qualify. Oh well, that's the luck of the draw...

  4. #4
    All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Massena, NY
    Posts
    3,756
    Virtue and Moir (CAN) and Belbin and Agosto (USA) should challenge for the title since their is no Compulsory Dance in this competition to hold them back

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    As far as the GP final goes I think it is something like this:

    Pairs- Zhang/Zhang vs Savchenko/Szowkoly for the gold. The rest fight for bronze with Pang/Tong the favorites at this point. Pang/Tong are inconsistent enough any of the other 3 pairs have a shot at the bronze though.

    Men- Takahashi the favorite. Lambiel, Weir, Lysacek all capable of challenging. Chan the X factor. Van Der Perren the last place finisher.

    Dance- Barbie and Caveman the favorites, will win barring a major screwup. Belbin/Agosto and Virtue/Moir the favorites for the other 2 medals. The French with a tough time to medal without the CD to help them out, will need alot of work on the TES of their OD and FD before then in order to medal. The #2 Russians and #2 French battling for 5th.

    Ladies- Kim the favorite, Asada the closest challenger. Nakano and Meissner contenders as well. Zhang and Kostner battle for 5th.
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 12-01-2007 at 10:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Custom Title dwiggin3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    765
    I'm sure I'm in the majority but I would rather have seen Sara Meier in the Final that Caroline Zhang...too bad.

  7. #7
    Rabbit Tycoon dutchherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    526
    ^ Not me.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Interesting that Mukhortova and Trankov had the third highest point total, but didn't qualify. Oh well, that's the luck of the draw...
    Does this happen often? I feel bad for the skaters that have both of their scoring events against the same skater. Most notable for me is Rochette being knocked off by Nakano and then M/T not qualifying because of Zhang squared.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    you just have to skate better than the field you're up against...

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you just have to skate better than the field you're up against...
    Exactly. There were more teams than Zhang/Zhang at CoR. M/T would have made the final if they had beaten Kawaguchi/Smirnov for the bronze medal. IMO, they did outskate K/S in the FS, but for whatever reason, they weren't scored as high. I think there are intra-Russian politics at work there. They want to set up an intense rivalry between those teams so that both will be in great competitive shape going forward to 2010 (just in case Kawaguchi balks on giving up her Japanese citizenship).

    As for Rochette, she would have made the final had she skated clean SPs in both events vs. Nakano. Nakano was only the #6 seed and on paper, Joannie should have been able to beat her, even with a 3A.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you just have to skate better than the field you're up against...
    Ah, but that's part of CoP...scores are not supposed to be placeholders. They are universal.

    Getting into the GPF seriously needs to depend on your point total, not placements at events.

  12. #12
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,186
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedalist View Post
    Ah, but that's part of CoP...scores are not supposed to be placeholders. They are universal.

    Getting into the GPF seriously needs to depend on your point total, not placements at events.
    Actually, I like the "tournament" style of the Grand Prix series. Points, schmoits -- win and advance or lose and go home. I think this adds poignacy to each individual event.

    Just like the Olympics. If you win, they are not going to take your gold medal away because you didn't score enough points or because you got lucky and faced a weak field.

  13. #13
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedalist View Post
    Getting into the GPF seriously needs to depend on your point total, not placements at events.
    And a little bit of strategy in Assignments would help.

    Joe

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    223
    I am little surprised by those who think it only right that Caroline made it to the GPF and right that Joannie didn't! Just because Caroline had easier assignements does not mean she deserved to be there more then Joannie. Joannie just had harder comps. I seem to remember some of the same people last year complaiming because Kimmie missed the final but Julia made it with poor scores.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555


    The Isu Need To Address The Grand Prix Final, It Should Be Based On Total Score Rather Than Placement Within Two Events.

    Please Bring This In Next Year, Agree Joannie Rochette Should Have Been In The Gpf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •