Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS | Golden Skate

Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS

bekalc

Record Breaker
Wow Caroline Zhang really needs to send a thank you note to Ashley Wagner. If Wagner hadn't beaten Meier in Paris, Meier would have been in the GPF over Zhang.. Because Meier's total point scores is just about 1 point higher than Zhang's... EEK. (I'm not going to say that Meier deserves to be there though because Zhang did have a harder technical caller in Skate America.

Still poor Joannie 29 points ahead of the Caro's, and 17 points ahead of Meissner, and still not in the GPF..

Interestingly enough looking at the scores, Yu-na Kim finished with 20 more points than Mao... And Mao had only 15 more points than Nakano... I'm interested to see if Mao's upgraded her jump content.

oleada

Record Breaker
It seems like in pairs S&S and Z&Z will be fighting for the gold, and everyone else for bronze.

Interesting that Mukhortova and Trankov had the third highest point total, but didn't qualify. Oh well, that's the luck of the draw...

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir (CAN) and Belbin and Agosto (USA) should challenge for the title since their is no Compulsory Dance in this competition to hold them back

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
As far as the GP final goes I think it is something like this:

Pairs- Zhang/Zhang vs Savchenko/Szowkoly for the gold. The rest fight for bronze with Pang/Tong the favorites at this point. Pang/Tong are inconsistent enough any of the other 3 pairs have a shot at the bronze though.

Men- Takahashi the favorite. Lambiel, Weir, Lysacek all capable of challenging. Chan the X factor. Van Der Perren the last place finisher.

Dance- Barbie and Caveman the favorites, will win barring a major screwup. Belbin/Agosto and Virtue/Moir the favorites for the other 2 medals. The French with a tough time to medal without the CD to help them out, will need alot of work on the TES of their OD and FD before then in order to medal. The #2 Russians and #2 French battling for 5th.

Ladies- Kim the favorite, Asada the closest challenger. Nakano and Meissner contenders as well. Zhang and Kostner battle for 5th.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I'm sure I'm in the majority but I would rather have seen Sara Meier in the Final that Caroline Zhang...too bad.

MissCleo

On the Ice
Interesting that Mukhortova and Trankov had the third highest point total, but didn't qualify. Oh well, that's the luck of the draw...

Does this happen often? I feel bad for the skaters that have both of their scoring events against the same skater. Most notable for me is Rochette being knocked off by Nakano and then M/T not qualifying because of Zhang squared.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you just have to skate better than the field you're up against...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Exactly. There were more teams than Zhang/Zhang at CoR. M/T would have made the final if they had beaten Kawaguchi/Smirnov for the bronze medal. IMO, they did outskate K/S in the FS, but for whatever reason, they weren't scored as high. I think there are intra-Russian politics at work there. They want to set up an intense rivalry between those teams so that both will be in great competitive shape going forward to 2010 (just in case Kawaguchi balks on giving up her Japanese citizenship).

As for Rochette, she would have made the final had she skated clean SPs in both events vs. Nakano. Nakano was only the #6 seed and on paper, Joannie should have been able to beat her, even with a 3A.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty

Ah, but that's part of CoP...scores are not supposed to be placeholders. They are universal.

Getting into the GPF seriously needs to depend on your point total, not placements at events.

Ah, but that's part of CoP...scores are not supposed to be placeholders. They are universal.

Getting into the GPF seriously needs to depend on your point total, not placements at events.
Actually, I like the "tournament" style of the Grand Prix series. Points, schmoits -- win and advance or lose and go home. I think this adds poignacy to each individual event.

Just like the Olympics. If you win, they are not going to take your gold medal away because you didn't score enough points or because you got lucky and faced a weak field.

Sackie

Medalist
I am little surprised by those who think it only right that Caroline made it to the GPF and right that Joannie didn't! Just because Caroline had easier assignements does not mean she deserved to be there more then Joannie. Joannie just had harder comps. I seem to remember some of the same people last year complaiming because Kimmie missed the final but Julia made it with poor scores.

russell30

Final Flight

The Isu Need To Address The Grand Prix Final, It Should Be Based On Total Score Rather Than Placement Within Two Events.

Please Bring This In Next Year, Agree Joannie Rochette Should Have Been In The Gpf

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Isu Need To Address The Grand Prix Final, It Should Be Based On Total Score Rather Than Placement Within Two Events.

Please Bring This In Next Year, Agree Joannie Rochette Should Have Been In The Gpf

And what it they did change it, and Rochette would have made it based on placements, but had the 7th highest total score? Would you then be demanding to change it back?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Exactly. There were more teams than Zhang/Zhang at CoR. M/T would have made the final if they had beaten Kawaguchi/Smirnov for the bronze medal. IMO, they did outskate K/S in the FS, but for whatever reason, they weren't scored as high. I think there are intra-Russian politics at work there. They want to set up an intense rivalry between those teams so that both will be in great competitive shape going forward to 2010 (just in case Kawaguchi balks on giving up her Japanese citizenship).

I havent looked at the protocals, but Mukhartova/Trankov beat Kawaguchi/Smirnov on the PCS but lost out on the TES. I dont think Kawaguchi/Smirnov gain their edge on GOE, so I am guessing they had a very difficult program as far as values and that gave them the edge. They even outscored the Zhangs on the TES, and it certainly wouldnt be because of GOE marks.

Linny

Final Flight
Easy assignment

Caroline Zang faced two former world champions at Skate America. She did not have easier assignments than Rochette.

I prefer the tournement style to the points method proposed.

Linny

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

This could only work if the same judges and technical callers were used for the six events. Otherwise, you have more generous technical callers and judges doing some events, and strict judges and technical callers doing other events.