Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix - FINAL STANDINGS

oleada

Record Breaker
IIRC, she had shaky jump landings which means - GOE. And she lost points for having lower levels in her spins compared to others - Yukari, Hughes and Lepisto had 2 level 4 spins, Mao had 1 and Joannie didn't have any. That sucks, but such is life and low levels can really hurt your score.

(And imo, she seemed really tentative, but that is mostly personal opinion.)

edit: nevermind, Joannie did have one level 4 spin, but her base value (and her level of execution) was lower than the other top ladies anyway. Yukari is a great spinner and I think that's where the main point difference came from between those two.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
And what it they did change it, and Rochette would have made it based on placements, but had the 7th highest total score? Would you then be demanding to change it back?

If you read my statement properly I am saying it should be based on total score of 2 grand prix assignments and not placements. Perhaps the ISU should change it for a while and see what happens.

feraina

Record Breaker
If you read my statement properly I am saying it should be based on total score of 2 grand prix assignments and not placements. Perhaps the ISU should change it for a while and see what happens.

I think what will happen is that the ISU CoP system will come under intense scrutiny and great controversy for its inconsistencies and unfairness. It's very clear that the same standards are not applied across competition, and rampant rumors of scandalous collusions plague many competitions. The only reason why the outcry hasn't been even greater, is that placements still trump absolute scores for the most part, and the relative ordering of outcomes at a particular event is still mostly within reason, regardless of the outrages of some of the individual scores. Until CoP can live up more to its stated goal of quantifying skating achievement on an absolute scale, I think ISU should shy further away from pretending the scores are objective, rather than embracing it more.

rain

Record Breaker
I think what will happen is that the ISU CoP system will come under intense scrutiny and great controversy for its inconsistencies and unfairness. It's very clear that the same standards are not applied across competition, and rampant rumors of scandalous collusions plague many competitions. The only reason why the outcry hasn't been even greater, is that placements still trump absolute scores for the most part, and the relative ordering of outcomes at a particular event is still mostly within reason, regardless of the outrages of some of the individual scores. Until CoP can live up more to its stated goal of quantifying skating achievement on an absolute scale, I think ISU should shy further away from pretending the scores are objective, rather than embracing it more.

Entirely apart from any question of fairness in the judging system, scores tend to rise as the season progresses, so often the competitions at the end of the season produce higher scores than those at the beginning. Quite naturally, as the skaters get in more practice with their programs as the season goes. However, if you're just looking at point total as a way to choose the skaters for the GPF this is a clear disadvantage for anyone whose events happen to come early in the season.

My point is, I guess, that there's no perfect way to choose the GPF participants, and there will likely always be, no matter what system is used, some strange results from time to time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If SCORE was the sole criteria for advancement to the GPF, then you'd see judges from certain federations cranking up the scores for their skaters to stratospheric levels while submarining their opponents' scores. PCS scores that are now upper 7s/low 8s would creep up into the upper 8s/low 9s---and not for just the top skaters.

You'd also see lots more -GOE given out, to keep opponents' scores low.

Instead of 'fairness', you'd get a lot more game-playing, and the results might wind up being more unbalanced than they are now.

gocaroline

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner's low TES scores

Originally Posted by bekalc:
Wow Caroline Zhang really needs to send a thank you note to Ashley Wagner. If Wagner hadn't beaten Meier in Paris, Meier would have been in the GPF over Zhang..

:agree:Guess Carolina Kostner really needs to send a thank you note too. Carolina Kostner's total score is the lowest among the final 6 who made the GPF final, even with the help of inflated PCS score:

Carolina KOSTNER Caroline ZHANG
CoC short TSS 60.82 58.76
TES 34.1 36.4
PCS 26.72 23.36
CoC Long TSS 83.04 97.58
TES 33.68 51.34
PCS 51.36 48.24
NHK Long TSS 103.45
TES 47.81
PCS 56.64

feraina

Record Breaker
Welcome to GS forum, gocaroline! I like your username. :rock:

Actually, Carolina Kostner should thank Miki Ando. If Miki didn't have a meltdown and just skated half of what she's capable of, she would've won NHK and gone to GPF, and Carolina would've lost out due to low point totals, and Sarah Meier would never have been in contention even with a 3rd place finish in TEB (had Wagner not beaten her). *shrug*

I think Caroline has herself to thank for skating well in her first senior GP against the last two world champions, as well as not giving up on her LP despite the falls at CoC.
:clap::clap::clap:

I look forward to an exciting showdown at the GPF! No splatfest or inconsistent calling, please!

gocaroline

On the Ice
;)Thanks Feraina! I totally agree with you:thumbsup: I also hope the best for every skaters at the GPF and No splatfest or inconsistent calling:biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Entirely apart from any question of fairness in the judging system, scores tend to rise as the season progresses, so often the competitions at the end of the season produce higher scores than those at the beginning.

LOL! That sure did not happen at the JGPF in the ice dance competition. The only teams whose scores actually went up from their JGP events were the two top Russian teams. I guess that was meant to show that they improved, while the two US team just stayed the same, and all the other teams dropped off drastically instead of improving. The Canadian team dropped by 12 points off their last JGP event, and the third Russian team, 15 points off.

feraina

Record Breaker
LOL! That sure did not happen at the JGPF in the ice dance competition.

Ice dancing judging is typically dodgy, and that particular event is rumored to be under investigation for collusion. And in any case, juniors are much less consistent/predictable than seniors.