Mens event at Nationals. | Golden Skate

Mens event at Nationals.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The way I see the mens event shaping up is a battle between Weir and Lysacek for gold, and a battle between Carriere and Abbott for bronze and the last spot on the World team. I see Weir and Carriere having the edge at this moment in both of those battles.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm just going to seriously need some medication or something because the energy is just going to be intense!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I actually like the skating of Abbott and Carriere much more then Lysacek. Even though I am not a Weir fan I do see the quality of his skating when he skates well. Evan is the really the only one of the top U.S mens whose skating I dont like.

The way I see the mens event shaping up is a battle between Weir and Lysacek for gold, and a battle between Carriere and Abbott for bronze and the last spot on the World team. I see Weir and Carriere having the edge at this moment in both of those battles.
There will be at least two or three talented senior men coming out of Sectionals.

Joe

you still hoping for Braden, Joe? :)
I would love to see him do the kind of skating I like but that kind of skating can not beat the stars. I was thinking also of Rohene who will be in the mix and maybe Tommy Steenberg.

I agree with Slutskayafan as far as the judges go, but I evaluate skaters differently than the ISU and the USFS.

Joe

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Im really hoping Rohene can get control of his nerves and put 2 clean programs out there, his skating is just wonderful. Watching him in practise was my favorite thing for the men during the ST Louis Nationals. But I have a feeling it will be between Carierre & Abbott for Bronze. I hope Ryan Bradley can pull something out of his hat too to make it exciting.

laceup

On the Ice
I'm just going to seriously need some medication or something because the energy is just going to be intense!

You make me laugh :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I too am hoping for someone new to step up in this event - it would really be great to see !!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh: Thanks, I try....

Is it St. Paul time yet? *waiting impaitently*

elinmand

Rinkside
I'm pulling for Rohene, too. I saw him skate as a guest performer with Champions on Ice a couple of years ago, and he's absolutely beautiful to watch. He does a lot of moves that women traditionally do--like layback spins and Ina Bauers--but looks strong and masculine while being incredibly graceful and flexible. He's one of the best show skaters around right now--but there's no market for that these days. He needs a medal to be employable--and I hope he can get his competitive act together enough to get one soon.

I did watch the LPs of the men on the MidWest Sectionals. None of them skated their best. Regrettable, I was hoping for Rohene and Braden. Hopefully, they will skate their best at Nationals.

Meanwhile, I see Carriere sliding into home plate for the 3rd spot. Not my favorite skater, but the boys are forcing him to create a style and it is working.
He does have a true by definition wonderful lutz.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
again, as last year it is a big question mark that coudl go either way between evan and johnny, but my thoughts are that it will slide into johnny's favor. the third spot...i would say carrire... he has clean jumps and very good levels of diffculty.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I just realized who ever gets that third spot is a big deal b/c it's a precursor to seeing who gets to go to Vancouver. I wonder if Carriere and Abbott have realized that they'll be battling for that 3rd Olympic spot before they know it?

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
again, as last year it is a big question mark that coudl go either way between evan and johnny, but my thoughts are that it will slide into johnny's favor. the third spot...i would say carrire... he has clean jumps and very good levels of diffculty.

I believe that the race between Evan and Johnny hinges on the quad--Evan's quad--not Johnny's. Johnny knows that Evan is committed to attempt a quad in both programs. Evan has said so. Rather than attempting one himself, Johnny will hedge his bets on one or more failures on Evan's part rather than taking the risk of making a mistake on his own attempt at one. Johnny also knows that the intense pressure of Evan's defending his National championship, makes the odds of the latter's failure more likely. If Evan skates two clean programs with a quad, he wins! I hope Evan is successful. In doing so Evan will actually be doing Johnny a favor. Because it will finally convince Johnny that he will not have the future of his aspirations unless he steels up and perfects the quad. He'll face the liklihood that he may not gain another National title, and certainly not a World or Olympic gold.
(If Johnny doesn't get the message, his coach will. She's a savvy one--and Johnny's no slouch in that department either!)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm still thinking Johnny will come out and surprise everyone and hit a quad lol

not sure why I'm hoping that considering I'm cheering for the other guy but still...

merrybari

Final Flight
Food for thought.

What impact do you think the order they skate will have on the result? Care to speculate on who would rather go first?

psycho

On the Ice
Food for thought.

What impact do you think the order they skate will have on the result? Care to speculate on who would rather go first?

I'm pretty sure Johnny would rather go first. He hates going last and new coach or not, you can't change your nervous system, and his nerves are a big problem for him. Better come out gangbusters, do his job, and then puke in the bathroom while waiting for Evan to finish skating.:laugh:

I am also pretty sure he does not want to relive last year, when by hearing Evan's over-inflated score he knew it was over before he began.

Althought Evan has never been in a position to defend a title before. If Johnny comes out and delivers and Evan has to follow him, we'll see what a fighter Evan really is.:cool:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Men's Competition

So Team GoldenSkate -

So my question is, at this point in his competitive life, does Johnny really have a quad that he can do in competition? Has he ever completed one that people can recall?

I would think at his age that putting in a quad toe, and possible a quad salchow would be very difficult indeed if his body does not have the experience of performing one.

I know this has been covered before, but can a man in his late 20's realistically compete for gold in 2010 without a reliable quad or without any kind of a quad? Inquiring minds want to know!

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
So Team GoldenSkate -

So my question is, at this point in his competitive life, does Johnny really have a quad that he can do in competition? Has he ever completed one that people can recall?

Last year at Spokane Nationals, Johnny two-footed an attempted quad. Evan followed with a 4/3 combo. Johnny is said to have landed quads in practices--sometimes in 4/3 combo.

Most do not believe he will be able to medal at 2010 Olympics without the quad.

merrybari

Final Flight
At Nationals, is the skate order determined by draw for both the short and long programs?

With the change at ISU events I wonder if they had made a change here, too.