Nitpicking: Asada vs. Kim | Golden Skate

Nitpicking: Asada vs. Kim

If there is no 3A in the competition, the gold is up for grabs.

Jumps Height: Mao followed closely by YuNa
Distance: YuNa followed closely by Mao
Posture: Equal
Edges:. Mao will flutz but will ftwork into Axel; YuNa not special

Spins Equal

Footwork Equal

Moves-in-Field Mao followed closely by YuNa

Spirals Neither compared to others

Ballet-Like Arms and Turnouts Mao

Musicality YuNa more natural

Character of Music Both will skate lyrical and well

Body Language Equal

My Decision No bets, please not without a 3A

What do you think of these nitpicks?

Joe

:

ciroc83

Rinkside
I agree with most of that. One thing that separates them in my mind (and makes me more of a Yu-Na fan), is the power in Yu-Na’s skating. I've been hooked ever since I first saw her fly into a triple flip triple toe combination... breathtaking.:love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Yu-Na might be able to squeak by and 'upset' Mao... just because I think Mao's feeling way too much pressure...

I hope I'm wrong and it does come down to the nitpicks to choose the winner :)

fourclover

On the Ice
I think Mao has the best spirals in the field.

Yu-na has beautiful arms and is very expressive with those arms.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
One of the most important things (at least in terms of competitions) that Joe's list does not mention is consistency.

At the moment, I'd give Yu-Na the edge there.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What about the fact that Mao hasn't done a triple salchow or a triple toe this year...I think if Mao doesn't have the triple axel, and doesn't have the salchow/triple toe.. That it can easily go to Yu-na... But that's just Me.

I agree with Ciroc that there is power in YuNa's skating, and it also leads to consistency which GoldMedalist suggested which I agree to also.

i do think, however, that YuNa has nothing to lose since she is not exactly THE favorite and is aware of the possible 3A that she just goes full steam. But I can also see Mao getting that steam up for the Finals. I'm still with no bets, here.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If there is no 3A in the competition, the gold is up for grabs.

Jumps Height: Mao followed closely by YuNa
Distance: YuNa followed closely by Mao
Posture: Equal

Spins Equal

Footwork Equal

Moves-in-Field Mao followed closely by YuNa

Spirals Neither compared to others

Ballet-Like Arms and Turnouts Mao

Musicality YuNa more natural

Character of Music Both will skate lyrical and well

Body Language Equal

My Decision No bets, please not without a 3A

What do you think of these nitpicks?

Joe

:

i have to say that Yu-na will win the 3/3 department, but Mao has far better footwork and Spirals. Mao's positions are straight and clean in her spirals, some of them are as good as Caroline's. Yu-na has a long way to go here. Mao's footwork, esp in the SP, is without a doubt a level 4. yu-na. again.... nothing special.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I dont agree at all that Mao has better height in her jumps then Yu-Na. I would give height and distance both to Yu-Na easily, not only over Mao, but any other current female competitor I can think of.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I dont agree at all that Mao has better height in her jumps then Yu-Na. I would give height and distance both to Yu-Na easily, not only over Mao, but any other current female competitor I can think of.

What about Julia Sebestyen?:biggrin:
I have to give spiral to Mao as well. Although slower than many other ladies, Mao has one of the most beautiful positions. Who cares if she doesn't have a full split arabesque? Her all three positions are mesmerizing. And I'm :scratch: with the comment that Yuna's footwork is nothing special. All the step sequences she's done are perfectly choreographed with the music and intricate as well. She's also one of few skaters who can emote during step sequence. Throwing millions of twizzles in a row does not translate to an excellent footwork.
Beklac's point has been clearly demonstrated in the results of this year's GP series. Even if Mao lands a triple axel (7.5 points + 0 GOE), her score would be slightly below Yuna's. So, my bet is on Yuna, but who knows?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Although I do think that Mao has really wonderful spirals, it's unfortumately not helping her that much in earning points. Holding three seconds seem to be far more critical than having beautiful positions.

Similarly, having difficult steps does not seem to be helping her that much in earning points.

I feel that Yuna's spins are faster and more centered than Mao's. But I wonder if she is getting much reward.

I think that what determines the gold will be jumps, and then PCSs will follow.

So I hope that both Yuna and Mao can control their nerves as much as possible.

Last edited:

qazwsx

Rinkside
So I hope that both Yuna and Mao can control their nerves as much as possible.

ITA. although they have all these differences, imo, whoever is mentally tougher at the moment (and injury free) will probably edge out.

I like them both. IMO Mao looks more 'natural' on the ice. she flows across the ice and her jumps are easy and light. I also love the fluidity of her movement and her soft knees. OTOH Yu-Na is more lyrical and expressive, and I think she skates to the music better. They both have great speed on the ice. Mao has an advantage in flexibility and spirals. Their spins are about equal in qualities. As for the Jumps, Yu-Na has a definite edge over Mao. Techniques, edges, height and distance-wise. Yu-Na always gets Huge GOE+ on her jumps which shows the judges agree. Yu-Na's got the best 3-3 in the field, and all the triples - 3A. What's really hurting Mao is that she only has two triples + occasional 3A, since she's getting dinged for her flutz.

Yu-Na's Miss Saigon LP is a very CoP friendly program packed with 7 triples and difficult elements. I don't like it as much as her Lark Ascending last season, but She's gonna be extremely tough to beat as long as she lands all the jumps. Even for Mao w/ 3A.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yu-Na's Miss Saigon LP is a very CoP friendly program packed with 7 triples and difficult elements. I don't like it as much as her Lark Ascending last season, but She's gonna be extremely tough to beat as long as she lands all the jumps. Even for Mao w/ 3A.

I agree. It's very strategic and the coaches did really a good job in maximizing the score. Morosov is also very good at it. But this LP is much less boring to me than many of the Morosov programs.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I have to disagree with that last phrase there. Yu-Na's correct edges in her jumps are one of the reasons her jumps are so special. That and great height and distance. She also has the difficult entrance into the axel and good footwork going directly into the lutz.

Spirals - I'd say they're pretty even. Mao has better positions, but Yu-Na has deeper edges and better speed.

I thing I'd nitpick with both of them though is the lack of extension and toe point on the free leg during jump landings. I may have been spoiled by Kwan in that aspect though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fozzie Bear this is completely OT but your siggy makes me wanna scream out:

"No, he'sa not! He'sa wearin' a neckatie!" :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Muppet fans rule all ;)

*looks around, clears throat* uh... back to the topic :biggrin: