Nitpicking: Asada vs. Kim | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nitpicking: Asada vs. Kim

krenseby

Final Flight
So true, since the last season.

In contrast, Mao seems to have been more nervous than before. I hope that she will not be too nervous at GPF and that we can see happy, joyful Mao again.

I do think Yuna seems a little bit more comfortable with herself this season. However, I think she needs to go a lot more in that direction, because she doesn't quite have the confidence and the charisma that top ladies usually do.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do think Yuna seems a little bit more comfortable with herself this season. However, I think she needs to go a lot more in that direction, because she doesn't quite have the confidence and the charisma that top ladies usually do.

I meant that Yuna has come to look happier and more joyful after she started to compete as a senior. I think she has a lot of confidence and charisma.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I dont' agree with you there, watch the video above and see Mao's arch on her back.

I don't agree with you there either. I don't know if you are a skater or if you ever skated but if you have been a skater, you would know that how much more difficult to keep your blade moving instead of a lot of stops in between. I get tired just doing simple brackets.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PG_9YSBW1q0&feature=related
Her layback used to be better. Certainly not here. I'm sure she'd be able to if she tried, but for some reason Mao never really "lays back" evenly on both shoulders and it's not attractive.

Maybe I should rephrase the way I talked about Yu-Na's steps. They have the "stops" that CoP loves so much, but she never really stops her motions, as in she'll do toe work in place or do a twizzle in place or something. Even when she's not moving across the ice, it's not like her blade ever really stops.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I wonder it may be actually one of the variations of layback positions.

I don't doubt it. But would it hurt to actually do a properly arched layback position as part of her layback? Considering her flexibility, it's hard to believe she's actually lost it.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Yuna can do triple salchow, triple loop, triple toe loop, triple flip, and triple lutz, Mao can only do triple loop and triple flip...

ks777

Record Breaker
Mao can do a triple flutz, miss a triple axel, and do a beautiful double axel though. :rofl:

don't forget, Mao can do 5 different triples. the 3axel, 3loop, 3flip, 3flutz, and 3 toe-axel! so Mao and Yuna are pretty even in terms of 3 jumps! I have seen mao do a 3toe-loop also so she might have 6 triples now.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
don't forget, Mao can do 5 different triples. the 3axel, 3loop, 3flip, 3flutz, and 3 toe-axel! so Mao and Yuna are pretty even in terms of 3 jumps! I have seen mao do a 3toe-loop also so she might have 6 triples now.

Oh please. You can't even distinguish her flutz and flip - on both, she approaches the jump on a deep outside edge and rolls over onto a deep inside edge. It is quite a lovely jump though.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh please. You can't even distinguish her flutz and flip - on both, she approaches the jump on a deep outside edge and rolls over onto a deep inside edge. It is quite a lovely jump though.

I agree that it's still quite a beautiful jump with great height and flow. I cannot remember how many times I heard former champion TV commentators praise Mao's flutz. She also constantly got plus or 0 GOE from many judges. Only a minority of judges gave her minus GOE until the last year.
It's unfortunate that this judging change was introduced only recently when she has already turned 17. I heard that her flutz was even severer when she was yonuger. It might be difficult to completely fix it....:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Miki also seems to be having trouble fixing the take off edge. I heard that she had fixed lip which then negatively affected her lutz. I feel sorry for these senior ladies.