Why is Jenny Kirk... | Golden Skate

Why is Jenny Kirk...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
... skating to the same music as last year? (On her web site she says her LP music will stay the same but the program will be totally different.) What is the point? With all the music available on this planet, why repeat?

For that matter, why does any skater haul out last year's program when there is PLENTY of time to create something fresh and new? :confused:

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Maybe she didn't find any music that spoke to her. If she feels comfortable and relaxed skating to the music from last year, why not use it again. There's no law against it. Isn't it supposed to be about being comfortable and relaxed while you're out on the ice performing?

I was surprised about that, too. But I have to say that the Fledermaus was great music for her. Interesting that she says its a completely new program, but to the same music.

Mathman

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Die Fledermaus wasn't used all season

I think the reason that Jenny is using "Die Fledermaus" again is because she really didn't get a chance to develop it last season (iirc she only used it at Nationals). She began the year with that "Abba" medley for her long program -- and I really didn't care for it at all, whereas I thought her "Princess Diaries" SP was a good one. I thought the "Die Fledermaus" program had music that suited Jenny and I would think that not having to spend time becoming familiar with the music would be an advantage. It's a program that the international judges haven't seen yet, so why not spend time working on improving her technique and developing her new short program. Sounds like a good plan to me. (Of course, if she were keeping an awful LP, like the "Mummy" program that Callaghan gave Angela Nikodinov a few years ago, my feelings would likely be very different!)

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I've often wondered how the music selection process works. If she really liked the music, then I can understand using it again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she used it once as far as I know... and I don't think I saw her skate it... so I'm all for seeing this program :D

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
she only used it twice

Jenny only skated to Die Fledermaus twice last season - at a Pro/Am and at Nationals. I am glad that she is using it again. Plus, I think she said on her website that they will be using different choreography.

The ABBA program wasn't a successful one - she used it at her Grand Prix events. Then she changed it to Die Fledermaus. I thought the music suited her as I've always seen her as a more classical skater. I also thought she showed a new side - she was light-hearted and even flirtatious at times.

This isn't the first time she's changed a program. In the Olympic season she started with a middle eastern themed program, but then showed up at Nationals skating to Danse Macabre (with a short portion of Saint-Saens Organ Symphony).

I look foward to seeing her skate this coming season!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)