When is a Pairs Lift Considered a Carry? | Golden Skate

When is a Pairs Lift Considered a Carry?

While watching the NHK comps on ESPN, I noticed McL and Bru do a lift after the horizontal thing. I don't know the names of Pairs Lifts that well. Anyway he brought Keaunu up into what looked like a Star, the turned and turned and turned even more. It was well executed but to me it looked like a carry

As I recall from years ago, a carry was not considered legal.

Is it legal now? and did Rockne really do an illegal lift?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Pairs are now allowed to do one ADAGIO (carry) lift in their free skates.

gsrossano

Final Flight
A carry means the man is not rotating during the lift. One of the group lifts (1-5) can include a carry. Carry lifts (which are transition moves) don't rotate and have no more than 1/2 rotation on the takeoff or landing. For Novice and below, only one of these carries is allowed. For Junior and Senior they can do as many as they want.

(And then you also have "small lifts" where the man's hands go no higher than shoulder level)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the German's also had a carry IIR Paul Wylie's commentary correctly :)

Antilles

Medalist
I think the carry was allowed back into competition in 2001. B&S had one in Chaplin, I think.

A lot of teams now seem to do rotational lifts that turn into carry lifts. I guess it's to earn more points. Carries on their own probably aren't worth much under CoP.

My old history of Pairs for the illegal carry was a lift that brings the lady up and after more than the minimal turns permitted, brings her down. Timing of the Lady in the air position could also be considered a carry. Thanks all for bringing me up to date.

btw, The carry could put a judge in a good mood for PCS, wouldn't it?

Joe