Prokofiev's War and Peace Reviewed | Golden Skate

Prokofiev's War and Peace Reviewed

If anyone is interested in Opera

Sara Krulwich/The New York Times
The Metropolitan Opera’s expansive production of “War and Peace,” at nearly four hours, recreates Napoleon’s failed Russian campaign of 1812, from ballrooms to battlefields.

By ANTHONY TOMMASINI
Published: December 12, 2007
The Metropolitan Opera’s production of “War and Peace,” Prokofiev’s epic masterpiece, was a milestone for the company when it was introduced in 2002. A co-production with the Kirov Opera of St. Petersburg, the staging involved 52 soloists singing 68 roles, not to mention 118 choristers, 41 dancers, 227 supernumeraries and 1,200 costumes. It was also a personal milestone for Valery Gergiev, who spearheaded the production and conducted the enormous score, nearly four hours long, with utter authority.

for a full review, go to the NYTimes.com

if you happen to be in NYC, “War and Peace” has seven more performances through Jan. 3 at the Metropolitan Opera, Lincoln Center; (212) 362-6000, metopera.org.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think if I ever made it out that far East in the US I'd never leave because of the theater productions... I'm not a big fan of the ballet, but that's because I've only ever seen the local talents and it just doesn't appeal, but I'd love to see how the real stars do it and then decide if it was something I liked lol

thanks for the review exerpt... you live in a great part of the country to be lucky enough to see stuff like that.