Johnny Weir's Foot Problems | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's Foot Problems

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Apparently, Johnny Weir has some "minor foot problems" according to coach Galina Zmievskaya

I hope this doesn't affect him in the competitions :no:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmmm just to speculate.. wonder what caused said problems... maybe he really is working hard on the quad ;)

emma

Record Breaker
Didn't Weir have foot problems after the Olympics around Worlds??? Might be a recurring problem?

TravellinJones

Rinkside
I am pretty sure he had foot problems (seismoids?) during 2005 Worlds in Moscow. I think he wrote about it in his journal..?

This sucks. I hope this won't affect his skating this weekend. :no:

tilak

On the Ice
:frown: Oh no, This doesn't sound good. He fell twice during the practice perhaps attempting the quad. I hope the foot problem is really minor as Galina stated.

Final Flight
:frown: Oh no, This doesn't sound good. He fell twice during the practice perhaps attempting the quad. I hope the foot problem is really minor as Galina stated.

i think he is good enough to win sans quad, but...ha, we'll see

tilak

On the Ice
Do you have a link or source for this quote? TIA.

It is on a website that cannot be mentioned here. I tried and it get edited out.
The quote is:
"But he has some minor foot problems", coach Galina Smievskaia said in Torino.

momjudi

On the Ice
I am pretty sure he had foot problems (seismoids?) during 2005 Worlds in Moscow. I think he wrote about it in his journal..?

and he had to withdraw from the 2005 grand prix final for the same foot problem. It corrected itself for Nationals but then reappeared at Worlds.

Final Flight
if this is something that will affect his performance or status in competing..i can just imagine the fit he's throwing:rofl:

but all the best

Last edited:

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
Arrrrgh! Major suckage. Those two falls in practice were definitely on quad attempts. I wonder if he hurt the foot on one of those or if it was already bothering him. I can't imagine he would be pounding the quad on a hurt foot.

Get better, Johnny. *sends healing vibes*

fairly4

Medalist
Johnny is a good skater. Look at his past track record everytime he has qualified for the Grand Prix final and injury has popped up.
It could be an explanation of why he doesn't win or medal instead of him not skating his best or not having the quad.
While he may be hurt, unless it is major I for one don't want to hear it why, everyone including the judges, media and fans made fun of Michelle's injury and even claimed they was fake. I don't think so.
I don't think Johnny is faking his feet probably does hurt. He probably does have pain in the foot. I just don't want the judges to use it and excuse to give him high marks. it seems every skater is talking about their injuries so the judges will take pity on them and give them higher marks. ie Evgeni -knee. Alexi Y--sports asthma, Sasha-back, Oskana--heel injury at olympics by chance won with all her double footing.--Yu-na last year-claimed back. the list goes on & on. If they get hurt that easily and Can't handle it--they should stay out and quit the sport.

Minor injuries are part of sport. Us fans have to quit coddling the skaters (feeling sorry for them for every little injury)
The skaters have to take responsibility for their skating and not blaming every little minor injury if they don't win or medal.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I disagree, fairly4. There have been cases in the past, where athletes kept their injuries secret before a competition, in order to avoid giving confidence to their rivals. Moreover, some of these injuries are anything but minor.

I remember reading recently that Evan Lysacek, for example, who had kept competing a while back with stress fracture in his pelvis, has developed bursitis. The piece that I read indicated that the former had caused the latter.

So many times, skaters skate through terrific pain, without mentioning it until much later, or ever. I believe there is much more hiding of pain than there is of faking it, in the sport. There is a big difference between a "reason" and an "excuse".

Never shall I be able to forget watching Elvis Stojko's face as he skated through unbearable pain at the Olympics. He was obviously trying to hide the pain, but I could tell from his face; I cried out, "why, he's in agony!", and was disbelieved by another who was also watching it on TV with me. It was awful. Elvis won silver, but it turned out that he had been skating through a groin injury, and doing that cost him dearly in his skating future. As he came off the ice that day, barely able to walk, anyone could see that he was in pain; but he had toughed it out while he was skating, to an incredible degree.

I remember how two skaters wisely took about three months off the ice to heal, in the middle of their competitive careers, and they came back in pretty good physical condition: Michelle Kwan, and Michael Weiss. Many skaters seem unwilling or unable to take that much time off in order to heal their injuries; perhaps the reason is timing. When one is in the very thick of the competitive season, it is hard to withdraw, after all the work that went into preparation.

When I read the report of what Galina had said, yesterday, I was dismayed. I know that Johnny will do his best, no matter what. Please do not insult the skaters; many times they are skating heroically through painful injuries that would have most people crying and wailing. This sport is one of the hardest on the body of the athletes, no matter how beautiful are the costumes. This has become an intense, grueling sport, that ages the body unnaturally. It is no longer about tracing figures on the ice with precision; it is about leaping through the air and landing as gracefully as possible, upon the edge of a blade. It is about the shock of landing on such a narrow surface, that the inelastic ice sends the force of that landing back into the athlete's body. Damage becomes inevitable. We should honor those with the courage to keep skating. I know of no sport that is more heroic.

Tesla

Final Flight
fairly4 If all skaters quit because of pain, there would be no skating. And I very much doubt that most skating injuries are minor. I don't have to be a skater to know the terrific force and damage done to their bodies.

Very well said, Dodhiyel.

decker

On the Ice
I don't think anyone can read minds to know if a skater's injury is real or faked or what that skater might be thinking about the judges. And I'm not a big fan of the view that one must always go on with the competition. If the injury is significant, you may win the battle and lose the war. Given that this is the GPF, not Nats or Worlds, there are other battles more important than this one.

But I hope it's just a twinge and Johnny skates well.

Susan