Pet Peeves, part 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves, part 2

Pookie

Final Flight
How about someone who will take their dentures out at a restaurant and put them in their pocket? Eeewwwww!

megsk8z

On the Ice
You guys are good! I'd like to add "people that have stereos that vibrate my windows at some ridiculous hour of the morning."
That deep bass boom doesn't do anything for the people in the car and is designed primarily to annoy the people *outside* the car. Besides, at the ridiculous hour of 2am, don't some people realize that some of us want to get some sleep so we can be at the rink at 6am?
Aacckkk! There goes one now...............

Okay, I want to limit the stereo hours. To none. If you can hear it more than 50 feet away, it's too loud. Any time.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
They don't turn up the bass to "annoy" those outside the car; they do it to IMPRESS them! "Hey look at me! I'm really hot stuff!"

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
People who play air guitar but cannot play a real one.
Bodies covered with tatoos
The droopy poopy pants with the butt hanging out.
Rap music.
Loud noisey neighbors.
Ants
Daniel and Little Lulu

heyang

Record Breaker
Someone from the local paper called to try to get me to take the paper every day instead of just Fri-Sun. The bonus was that the difference would actually be donated to charity. I politely declined because I don't have time to read the paper every day (I spend too much time here LOL). Anyway. Before I could volunteer to make a donation, he essentially accused me of being uncharitable for not accepting the offer. I just said 'I don't want your paper' and hung up.

I also get irked when I'm targeted because of my last name. For a while, AT&T was calling to try to sell me an International Calling plan. 2 problems. AT&T was my long distance carrier and should have realized that no one in my household has called anyone in Asia - ever. The 2nd problem is that the person who calls can't do the sales pitch in English - they usually only speak Mandarin which is not my families dialect (BTW, Mandarin may be the national dialect of China now, but most of the original immigrants came from southern China where the dialect is mostly Cantonese.) Totally peeves me because they assume that I make calls to Asia because of my last name.

My biggest pet peeve is a group of people walking down the middle of the parking lot so that a car can't get past them. Hello - you're not walking on a sidewalk. I also don't like when a group of people stand in the middle of the walkway for discussion and force everyone to move around them at the mall. Move over - you're disrupting the flow of traffic.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Walking down the middle of a parking lot irks me too. And it's not just young folks who do it, but all ages..........they seem oblivious to the cars trying to park or leave the lot........

Here's another one of mine.........people who make right hand turns into parking lots or streets who slow to a "snail's pace" while doing it. It backs up traffic and is a hazard. Unless their balancing a three tiered cake on their front seat, there's no reason to go from 40 MPH to 2 while making a turn..........:mad: 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My other pet peeve is parents who allow their children to run wild in shopping malls and grocery stores. These places are not play grounds. I have noticed lately, parents letting their kids ride bikes through Wal-Mart or just not minding them period as they are shopping. The kids are running through the store like it was their personal play ground. My mother would never have stood for that kind of behavior. What is with the parents these days? No wonder kids turn out the way they do. There is absolutely no discipline.

JOHIO2

Medalist
pet peeves

Hey Daniel,

You forgot your favorite mammals! Does that mean the raccoons have moved on????

Kids should come with a volume control and a pause button. Too bad they don't. :rolleyes:

I've got so many pet peeves that I won't bother to list them!

Suffice it to say that I agree with all the above peeves and then some......

mpal2

Final Flight
I must agree that telemarketers make the top of my pet peeve list. I am on the no call list, but that doesn't stop Sears from calling because my roommate and I both have a Sears card. I've asked them repeatedly to not call but they are still calling about 5 times a day. I was nice for the first 2 months, I ignored them (thank God for caller ID) or politely went through the not interested please don't call routine.

Now, when I see them on the caller ID, I do answer every time with every curse word I know, a really loud whistle, etc. They completely deserve it at this point. It's amazing how quickly they want to get off the phone when you're vicious. :p

It's actually become a fun game for me to see how evil I can be to Sear's. I try to outdo myself with each of the 5 phone calls per day. I'm wondering how long they will continue to call if they get ruptured ear drums every time they try.

ITA with the cell phones and kids in a movie theater. I went to the Matrix and suffered through 1 person's phone calls every 20 minutes. Another group brought their 3-4 year old children who got scared by the movie, started crying and then got hit for crying. We called security on them. You don't bring kids that young to movies that scare them and then hit them for it. :rolleyes:

GoldElephant

Rinkside
Mine is short, sweet, simple, and to the point...telemarketers.

After having the same # for years, I changed my telephone # and made it unlisted. No calls since I did that over a year ago. :D

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I think we could start a whole thread for just driving pet peeves. I mean pet peeves about other drivers - of course our driving is flawless! Haha, sometimes I find myself grumbling about habits I have myself. I will spare you my longlong list of driving pet peeves, but I think my #1, like windspirit's #2 is people who don't use their turn signal. ARGH!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, here's another one that doesn't have anything to do with driving. You're standing in line waiting to check out at a department store, (could be any type of store really). You get to the counter and the salesperson starts to check you out, when the phone at the counter rings. You are left waiting while the salesperson not only takes the call, but leaves you hanging while he or she hunt down an item that the person on the phone has requested. Apparantly a customer on the phone, (who may or may not come in to pick up the item), is worth more than an "in the flesh" paying customer.............anyone else experience this problem? 42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I still watch G L too. And I have walked out of two stores that I can remember where the phone call was more important than I was. :D

mmandel

On the Ice
Millions of TV commercials during skating shows & competitions. You spend actually 30-40 minutes of skating and 20-30 minutes watching commercials. *sigh*

JOHIO2

Medalist
Babies in Movie Theaters?

OK, since this a major peeve for some, I'd like to point out that SOME movie theaters are trying to help by offering showings for parents and children. Nicely timed article in the Sunday Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/living/1059903110221910.xml

I vote that parents with children support this by going then! Hmmmm, maybe some of us without little ones could support it too (those who can stand to be in a theater guaranteed to be full of little ones!). Then again, maybe not!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Here's another one for the "little tikes"........We're in an upscale restaurant when a couple comes in with a toddler and three year old and sits in the booth behind us. The three year old is allowed to stand up in the booth and proceeds to lean over the back of the seat into our area most of the meal. The toddler screeches and screams every three minutes, just enough to ruin our meal. I place part of the blame on the restaurant for providing high chairs and not providing a "child friendly" area away from the main dining area.............can you say "McDonald's" or "Babysitter"?.............42

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Show 42
Whenever I see tikes like you mentioned, I wonder why management doesn't ask to have the children removed. Most businesses have signs that say, "We have to right to refuse services to anyone,"
Daniel and Little Lulu

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Boy, I agree about the telemarketers and cell phone users! And people who chatter and carry on during a movie - usually the volume is cranked up enough to make a rock band envious :D but that's beside the point, LOL. Once, I had someone sit right behind me and explain what was going to happen at some point in the movie to their buddy. Well, *I* didn't want to know! :rolleye:

And about people strolling through the parking lot - you have to creep along while they walk right down the middle of the lane. They glance at you and then keep right on walking and talking just like they're in the park or something.

People who don't use their turn signals - not only when they're turning in your lane ahead of you, but coming from the opposite direction or pulling out into your lane! Oh yes, and cutting in, almost close enough to shave the paint off of your car!

People who take a buggyful of items right up to the Express Lane checkout when it clearly states "8 items or less..."

I could go on and on.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kzarah.........We've actually asked to be moved before in various restaurants, due to unruly kids. If we see we are about to be seated next to a family with small children, we always ask to be seated elsewhere, and we explain why.........42