Does Dick Button read this site? | Golden Skate

Does Dick Button read this site?

ks777

Record Breaker
Just curious. does anyone know? I thought it was interested if Uncle Dick read and post here. If he did post here, who do you think? Maybe one of us??

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Wouldn't that be weird? Like omg...Uncle Dick posts on goldenskate!!
I wonder if he's seen much skating this year, and what he thinks of the programs...I do love Wylie as a commentator though!!

Oh I hope he didn't see that....

Vincero

Rinkside
Just see if there's a comment about "there's jump in that jump!" in one of the pbps of events. That should be a clear indicator.

laceup

On the Ice
There are some posts that make no sense at all in Golden Skate = Dick Button:laugh:. He is the worst commentator I've ever heard, makes more mistakes in calling an event than he gets right!!!

Medusa

Record Breaker
There are some posts that make no sense at all in Golden Skate = Dick Button:laugh:. He is the worst commentator I've ever heard, makes more mistakes in calling an event than he gets right!!!

I think he is really funny, I enjoy his comments when I watch ESPN-programs on youtube. Perhaps he is not always correct, but he has a sense of humour and is so old-fashioned - in a cute way, and still tries to accept and appreciate the modern skating.

Here in Germany the commentators are horrible, they have absolutely no sense of humour, are awfully judgmental, sometimes outright nasty and biased, overly stiff and arrogant. I take Dick Button everytime ;)

I love Dick Buttons. He's like Harry Kalas, the Voice of the Phillies--an icon, one of few left from the "old" days. They may make a some mistakes, but they sure have a lot of experience and knowledge. I'd love to hear some of the stories they could tell from all their years of commentating.

laceup

On the Ice
I don't want to "Dick Bash" too much so this will be my last post on this subject --- I feel very sorry for you Medusa if you have commentators Nastier than Dick who is incredibly rude to any skater who is not from the United States!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love my "Uncle Dickie," warts and all! :) :laugh: If anything, I think he has somewhat mellowed through the years.

You can say that now but will you be able to spurt it out at 77 or is 78. Good luck to you in your senior years.

Joe (also a senior)

I don't want to "Dick Bash" too much so this will be my last post on this subject --- I feel very sorry for you Medusa if you have commentators Nastier than Dick who is incredibly rude to any skater who is not from the United States!!!
He loves to kid with the lady skaters from all over and I think he had a crush on Elena Sokolova. Have you been following skating for a long time?

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My main problem with Dick is he seems to dominate an event in the commentary. If Peggy or whoever else might be in the booth even tries to offer an opinion he jumps all over them or interrupts before they finish totally ignoring and dismissing them... I've only noticed this in the last couple of years, so maybe he's just getting ornery or something :laugh:

It's annoying when he mistakes one element for the other... but Paul Wylie has the same issue with different moves in the field... it happens.

As for being biased, I think that comes more from the push of the network... NBC definitely pushes a STRONG US Bias... and Scott Hamilton mentioned CBS wanting the commentary in 94 to go a certain way... they're American networks, they're gonna root for the 'home team'

ETA - He also holds double standards which really annoys me. In 04 after Johnny had that horrible fall and 'quit' during his FD Button went into a tirade over how you should always try to finish the program and blah blah blah. Then Matt Savoie came out and his foot tapped the board and it ripped the costume or something and Button was upset that he wasn't stopping and restarting the program (the ref. did make him stop a little later)... it was a total 'let's beat up on Johnny' moment and even though I was rooting for Savoie over Weir I found it extremely odd...

Last edited:

isk82

On the Ice
I LOVE Dick Button! I love the pure JOY he expresses when something is deserving of it and the way he rips something apart that is bad. He's as much fun to listen to as the skating is to watch.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I love Dick Button!:love: Great thought for the thread opener ks777!:biggrin: I think if Dick writes like the way he talks, we would notice who is Dick. I wish he is here, so he can bring more sense into the discussion.

momjudi

On the Ice
I don't know about Dick Button but I'm sure there are quite a few skaters and their families who check out the boards to see what is being said about them.

laceup

On the Ice
You can say that now but will you be able to spurt it out at 77 or is 78. Good luck to you in your senior years.

Joe (also a senior)

I
He loves to kid with the lady skaters from all over and I think he had a crush on Elena Sokolova. Have you been following skating for a long time?

Joe

All I can say Joe, is if he is unable to control his nasty comments - like saying people are ugly or he doesn't know why so and so even bothers to skate, they should give it up - then someone should stop him. I am just one of many people I know who refuses to watch programs that he is commentating for - there is absolutely no need to insult young athletes who are trying their best, even if on that particular day they do not meet DICK's standards. I have been involved in this sport in one way or another for over 35 years so I do know what goes into it, how hard people work and try and they don't need some old has been insulting their efforts:disapp::disapp::disapp:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What I like about skaters like Dick Button who are still commentators is that they are from the old school of figure skating. Sure they may sound a little old fashioned but they know skating and what to look for. I always found Dick a little biased over the years but he has branched out a little and is more generous to skaters from other countries.

I kind of doubt that he checks out golden skate, but then one never knows. I often wonder who might be reading my comments. That is why I really make sure I know what I am talking about before posting. I would hate it if Toller Cranston or Karen Magnussen dropped in here and read something I wrote that was not accurate.

Hmm..come to think of it Debbi Wilkes has a column on tsn.ca. I better be careful!!!!

:)

kyla2

Final Flight
Dick

It's difficult to imagine skating without Dick Button. He is figure skating.