College Classes - Need Some Insight | Golden Skate

College Classes - Need Some Insight

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm trying to decide what elective classes to take Spring 08 Semester... I know I could go to an advisor, but considering I'm back to on 'undecided' I am less of a priority so it's faster if I just decide what to do on my own :laugh:

Looking at the Humanities Requirements I'm having a hard time deciding what to take, so hopefully some of you college alums and current students can give me some insight as to what I might like best...

There's ENGL. 201 which is Masterpieces of World Literature which might be fun, but then again if it's a lot of high brow reading I might *not* like it... it really depends on my mood. Also if the writing is depressing I may not want to start out during SPRING when it's dark and dreary up here lol

There's also PS 332 which is the History of Political Philosophy - which if I were to take that I'd have to wait until Fall as the second semester course is the only one offered this semester...

I could instead take a language, but the only one I'm interested in is German, but at the same time if it's going to be hard for me - I've never taken another language - I might want to look elsewhere (I want to pass the class after all lol)

So far it looks like I will be for sure trying to take Western Civ., Intro to Lit, and a Math (hopefully my LAST) class...

I'd like to take one more... but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do lol at least I'm done with my sciences! :rock:

dutchherder

Final Flight
If you've never taken another language, I highly recommend you do that. I took four years of French, but I really wish I had taken more. It actually did help me on a flight once when I needed help with the customs form (they had run out of English copies). Since you are interested in a career in photography, you never know where that might take you-- perhaps somewhere that they don't speak English! :agree:

You can't go wrong with Masterpieces of World Literature, either.

But I do have one bone to pick with all of these "Great Books of Western Civilization" courses. They never choose the greatest secular book ever written -- the Elements by Euclid.

Far and away the most popular secular best seller of all time, this book has been in continuous pulication for more than 2000 years and has appeared in more editions than any other work except the Bible. This book above all others established mathematics as the jewel in the crown of human intellectual attainment, it set the standard for all subsequent mathematical thought, and still today provides a model for the rules of rational inquiry that the physical and social sciences can only envy. :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
How about Geography? I hear some students that took Geography at the College I work for survived a Tsunami because they knew the signs when the Tsunami hit and were able to warn others. Could come in handy if you are a world traveler.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Since you are taking Western Civilization and Intro Lit, you probably already have fairly intense amount of reading. So, I would say, go for a language. It's actually the most rewarding and useful course (according to my advisor and a few professors, lol) aside from your major. I went out of my way to take two languages, which was demanding since I constantly talked to my Chinese professor in french, but I think it was really rewarding.:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok well I had to revise because most of the courses were filled up (yeay for my procrastinating lol)

I have three classes so far, but I'm strongly thinking of pulling out of one as it's a prof that I do not really get along with (about the very subject I'd be taking from her lol)

Anyway

Intro to Lit.
Media Ethics
Digital Imaging

Ethics is what I want to drop... I disagree with the prof in some of her views of journalistic ethics... but then again she's the only one teaching it so I don't really have a choice.

gio

Medalist
Toni, take a language, it is going to be fun!! Trust me!

If you take one of the 7 languages I know, I can even help you. :)
I'm very good at French, but less at German.

IMO, French is way easier than German.

Let me know!! ;)

Alsace

On the Ice
I totally agree with gio. French is way easier than German. For one thing, there are a lot of cognates (words that look the same or similar in two languages) between French and English. However, there are not nearly as many between German and English. German's grammar is highly precise, with lots of declensions of articles. Very annoying! (Can you tell I just finished a semester of German!)

Antilles

Medalist
German is hard. You'd be better off with French/Spanish/Italian.

Out of your choices, digital imaging sounds the most interesting. How does that count as a humanities course, though?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's not a humanities... it's part of my actual major (Journalism & Public Communications: Telecommunications and Film)

and yikes... German scares me now lol I was just trying to be different... Italian might be fun... I dunno lol

Antilles

Medalist
German has more exceptions than rules. Every word also has a gender attached to it, like le/la in French, However, they've also got a third one in German, called neuter. There are no rules for the three genders. You just have to memorize each individual word with its gender. And that's only the beginning of what makes German so hard. ;) I've heard Spanish is fairly easy, as far as new languages go.

gio

Medalist
Italian might be fun... I dunno lol

Oh yeah please choose Italian!! :laugh: It will be really fun! And it is an easy language!

And I could help you! You send me your homeworks and I'll correct it. :yes: :) And if you don't understand some rules, I'll explain it! Internet does wonders!!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I won't promise anything :laugh: but it is nice to know that i would have help if I took it! :) thanks!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I'm more worried with actually speaking it... I hate doing something until I know I can do it right.... lol

heyang

Record Breaker
I took 3 yrs of French in high school. However, my French teacher during jr year was more into gossiping about the school then speaking French.

In college, I took a Spanish class. The teacher knew right away that I had learned French before.

However, Spanish is easier to learn than French IMO. Considering the # of people who speak Spanish in the world, I would suggest Spanish. Note: Chinese is actually spoken by the most people, but it's not offered in many locations.

Italian is very pretty, too, but I think Spanish would be the most useful.

I agree with whoever said that languages can be fun. Also, there generally isn't as much reading as other subjects - it's a matter of memorizing vocabulary vs reading and interpreting pages.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Either way I'm just not sure about the language... I'm such a perfectionist and when I can't do something the way I think I need to (ie perfect first time out) I normally STOP and just don't do it...

which is not good for the grade...

it would help, though, for what I want to do...which is work in television and film... but at the same time I just don't know

gio

Medalist
Either way I'm just not sure about the language... I'm such a perfectionist and when I can't do something the way I think I need to (ie perfect first time out) I normally STOP and just don't do it...
which is not good for the grade...

Hmm, yes that could be a problem. How are the languages professors at your university? Did you do some investigation? When you learn a language it is important also how the prof. teach it.

Anyway yes, for the work you want to do, to know other languages will be very useful.
In any case when I want to apply for job and I write that I know 7 languages I have many points in my favour.

Take your time and think about it. :)

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Ok well I had to revise because most of the courses were filled up (yeay for my procrastinating lol)

I have three classes so far, but I'm strongly thinking of pulling out of one as it's a prof that I do not really get along with (about the very subject I'd be taking from her lol)

Anyway

Intro to Lit.
Media Ethics
Digital Imaging

Ethics is what I want to drop... I disagree with the prof in some of her views of journalistic ethics... but then again she's the only one teaching it so I don't really have a choice.

Toni,
I strongly encourage you to take the media ethics - and from the Proff. you disagree with. I found that in both my undergrad and graduate work the instructors that had the most divergent viewpoints (compared to mine) were the ones I learned the most from. This Proff. may be harder on you but that might be a good thing - it will force you to really look at your values in terms of media and refine them (or not). Additionally, having a Prof. that you disagree with in terms of ethics, media and the area you are interested in as a profession will help you to not only learn what "the other side" thinks, but how to respond to them in a professional yet effective manner.

As for your elective - its a Humanities elective correct? You could approach it from 2 angles....1. what would compliment your major. If your interested in media, would learning a language help you in your field in the future? If you were reporting from, say, Berlin, knowing a bit a German would be helpful. 2. take something that really just peaks your interest but may not be something you'd make a profession of. I love studying the history of furniture design...what influenced shaker, mission, baroque, gustavian ect. designs. I don't plan to make a living by it, but I'm interested in it. Same with woodworking. I'll take classes but it's not a profession.

Good luck !
Dwiggin3