Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Telegraphing Your Jumps

Skating Freak Barbie
    What, no mention of the telegraph QUEEN, Surya Bonaly??? UGH, the reason I never liked to watch her.

Custom Title
    You must not have seen my post about Surya. In her hey day she was the Queen of Telegraphing.

SkateFan4Life

Telegraphing Your Jumps

Some skaters really telegraph their triple flips as well. There's a long, long setup that sometimes takes half the length of the rink, so you know, absolutely, positively, without a doubt what they are planning to do.

In my opinion, when a skater takes up an excessive amount of time setting up his/her jumps, it detracts from the program, stops the choreography, and interrupts the flow of the routine. It's poor technique, in my opinion, and the judges should deduct on the presentation mark for this habit.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by lavender
    I don't mind telegraphing but when you glide on both feet or do a Liashenko and glide with one leg in the air for a long time it starts to look awkward but you have to have some set up.
    Unfortunatley, she ends up looking like a dog about to p*** on a fire hydrant whenever she does this. She has to be the worst telegrapher of all time.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by missflick
    Unfortunatley, she ends up looking like a dog about to p*** on a fire hydrant whenever she does this. She has to be the worst telegrapher of all time.
    hehehehe:D

Had to laugh out loud on that one.

Procrastinating b/c of Worlds
    In the 8th Circle of Hell with Jamie Salé.
    I think Liashenko is being singled out because she is always being mentioned by Uncle Dick and Miss Piggy. The only jump Liashenko really telegraphs is her lutz, and I don't see how it is as bad, or worse than someone like Fumie's. Or look at MK's 3flip this season in her LP. Liashenko's telegraphing is on par with most of the other skaters, she's not the worst in any way.

TV

Minority member
    Originally posted by thvudragon
    I think Liashenko is being singled out because she is always being mentioned by Uncle Dick and Miss Piggy. The only jump Liashenko really telegraphs is her lutz, and I don't see how it is as bad, or worse than someone like Fumie's. Or look at MK's 3flip this season in her LP. Liashenko's telegraphing is on par with most of the other skaters, she's not the worst in any way.

TV
    Totally forgot about Fumie's lutz, but she's so artistic even when leading(telegraphing) up to the jump that I usually don't pay attention to that. :D
    I don't know about Michelle's 3flip, i'll have go and check.
    But Liashenko not only telegraphs her lutz but also her 3loop and flip, it's usually really bad on the 3loop. But as I said above she goes right up into her 3toe and it's usually a beauty. That's why she's usually successful with her 3toe/steps/3toe in her long program.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    For the record, I only mentioned Liashenko's lutz, because that's the jump where the telegraphy is bad enough to stand out.

I cravenly avoided mentioning Fumie's lutz because there are many fans who really find her very artistic. The only thing I really love in Fumie's skating is her kick-a** circular footwork, but that is my deficiency, yes? However, I find her lutz badly enough telegraphed to be memorable.

As to Michelle and the flip in the LP-this I don't remember, have to check.

dpp

Speaking of Lichenko,,,,, She will win the Technical in all the competitions she is in because every jump she does is correct and she lands them perfectly. COP will prove this, imo.

The effect of telegraphing may well hinder the Presentation mark.

Joe

Custom Title
    I singled out Liashenko for being number one because for me it looks soo awful. I don't mind telegraphing if it doesn't look bad like MK and Fumie look find setting up. Actually I enjoy Liaskenko's skating without the jumps so I'm only stating the obvious and Dick and Peg really don't have to point that out for me. Maybe for others but she stands out.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Surya was not only an amazing "telegrapher," she used to almost come to a dead stop before she jumped! It was so awkward looking.

Irina is one of biggest telegraphing culprits today. I'm a fan, but its the one thing that irks me about her skating. She's such a strong jumper, but the telegraphing distracts from it.

Custom Title
    Well, to give Surya some credit - her opening double axel in her 98 oly lp came from nowhere! I did not see it coming, and it was perfectly timed to the beat of the music. Just giving her some credit cus I know she has many bashers.

Telegraphing - Liashenko yes and many others.

Perfect lutz = Liashenko and no so many others.

Which is worse?... Telegraphing a perfect lutz or a lutz turned into a flip? (I refuse to use the term flutz.)

Joe

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz

Which is worse?... Telegraphing a perfect lutz or a lutz turned into a flip? (I refuse to use the term flutz.)

Definitly lutz turned into flip.

But I have to add that the way Liashenko telegraphing is really awkward.

Go NJ Devils
    I don't think Liashenko has a perfect lutz. Neither she nor Suguri hold a flat blade on the take-off. Each often collapses the ankle and bows it outward and jumps off the front of the blade on a curve. I'm not sure if this is pre-rotating off the blade, but it's not holding on the straight edge like Volchkova and Sebestyen do.

If Liashenko is called on the telegraph, the most she will receive is a +1, due to the mandatory deduction. I don't think that will make her much more competitive than she is now.

My least favorite telegraph (in general) is the universal "I've got to pee" crossed legs bent-at-the-waist entrance into the loop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast