Telegraphing Your Jumps | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Telegraphing Your Jumps

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Scott Hamiliton did a funny routine a few years ago were he incorporated many classic moves from various skaters and time periods. He did do a very long entry into a jump, paying tribute I suppose to those who "telegraph" their jumps.......too cute...Toni, do you remember the routine? 42

no I don't but now I'm extremely interested... what part in his career was this? I have quite a few on tape... but I can't think of one like this... he has so many parodies though LOL

there was Fun & Games... but that was making fun of the Olympics... and he was making fun of himself as a commentator LOL

telegraphing figue skating jumps is synonimous with announcing the dive before it's executed in the Diving Competitions. Nothing wrong with that but are the telegraphs flowing over the ice? or are they 'look ma, a quad?'.

Joe

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Personallly, I like seeing telegraphing on the Lutz. Maybe this is the problem with Flutzing. If skaters took more time on the entrance of their Lutz maybe we wouldn't see so many Flutzes. I wonder if the term Flutz is in the dictionary yet?
Daniel and Little

heyang

Record Breaker
There's just something about the very deliberate setup that detracts from the fluidity of the program. While it's impossible to not jump without setup, the best can make it less obvious.

A few seasons back, MK was having trouble with her Lutz. She and Frank made her entrance shorter. I think it gives her less time to get 'anxious' about it and flub it due to hesitation.

Surya was particularly bad with telegraphing during her eligible days. A friend of mine once asked 'Who was that girl who skated on one foot for the entire length of the rink before jumping?' Answer: Surya setting up her lutz during Oly LP.

Tonia K also had a short entrance into her lutz, but it was telegraphed because she was using a crossed foot entrance. I know it made it harder, but the deliberateness of it made it less attractive within the flow of the routine.

It's definitely a balancing act. The more difficult entrances allow for more telegraphing, but show off the technique. I prefer the fluid.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, before triples and quads became an absolute rule for skaters to perform in their programs, very few skaters "telegraphed" their jumps. Taking off in the air to rotate three or four times is no easy task, especially if it is a combination jump. Believe me it takes a lot of "guts" in the first place to do these jumps, plus strength. Female skaters -especially- sometimes launch themselves into these jumps a little pensive - unless they are jumping jacks - like Midori Ito was - she went up with such ease! Jennifer Robinson takes forever to do her triple lutz. I hold my breath while she is setting up. I know right away what she is planning. So I guess unless we ourselves are out there on the ice doing the same jumps, it's kind of unfair to "judge" each skater on his/her technique. I am just glad when they land their jumps cleanly.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't mind telegraphing but when you glide on both feet or do a Liashenko and glide with one leg in the air for a long time it starts to look awkward but you have to have some set up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's worse if they can't figure out what to do with the free leg
while executing that rink-long backward glide. IMO, the worst possible choice is to bend the free leg knee a lot and leave the foot kind of hanging off the ankle like a salami in a NY deli.

If the position is prettier, I can put up with it, just maybe.

dpp

dizzydi

On the Ice
Ladskater,

"It's unfair to judge each skater on his/her technique"

Geez, I'm confused. Isn't "judging" what competitive skating is all about?

Dizzy

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I always thought that double jumps lend themselves so well to the artistic and intepretative programs. The flow from movement to jump to movement is seamless, no prep work or set-up needed as it is for the triple jumps.

I wish my guy Timothy Goebel could think of something to do with his arms when he sets up for a jump.

Mathman

Kasey

Medalist
What, no mention of the telegraph QUEEN, Surya Bonaly??? UGH, the reason I never liked to watch her.

lavender

Record Breaker
You must not have seen my post about Surya. In her hey day she was the Queen of Telegraphing.

S

SkateFan4Life

Some skaters really telegraph their triple flips as well. There's a long, long setup that sometimes takes half the length of the rink, so you know, absolutely, positively, without a doubt what they are planning to do.

In my opinion, when a skater takes up an excessive amount of time setting up his/her jumps, it detracts from the program, stops the choreography, and interrupts the flow of the routine. It's poor technique, in my opinion, and the judges should deduct on the presentation mark for this habit.

missflick

On the Ice
lavender said:
I don't mind telegraphing but when you glide on both feet or do a Liashenko and glide with one leg in the air for a long time it starts to look awkward but you have to have some set up.

Unfortunatley, she ends up looking like a dog about to p*** on a fire hydrant whenever she does this. She has to be the worst telegrapher of all time.:p

lavender

Record Breaker
missflick said:
Unfortunatley, she ends up looking like a dog about to p*** on a fire hydrant whenever she does this. She has to be the worst telegrapher of all time.:p

hehehehe:D

Had to laugh out loud on that one.

thvudragon

On the Ice
I think Liashenko is being singled out because she is always being mentioned by Uncle Dick and Miss Piggy. The only jump Liashenko really telegraphs is her lutz, and I don't see how it is as bad, or worse than someone like Fumie's. Or look at MK's 3flip this season in her LP. Liashenko's telegraphing is on par with most of the other skaters, she's not the worst in any way.

TV

Excidra2001

On the Ice
thvudragon said:
I think Liashenko is being singled out because she is always being mentioned by Uncle Dick and Miss Piggy. The only jump Liashenko really telegraphs is her lutz, and I don't see how it is as bad, or worse than someone like Fumie's. Or look at MK's 3flip this season in her LP. Liashenko's telegraphing is on par with most of the other skaters, she's not the worst in any way.

TV

Totally forgot about Fumie's lutz, but she's so artistic even when leading(telegraphing) up to the jump that I usually don't pay attention to that. :D
I don't know about Michelle's 3flip, i'll have go and check.
But Liashenko not only telegraphs her lutz but also her 3loop and flip, it's usually really bad on the 3loop. But as I said above she goes right up into her 3toe and it's usually a beauty. That's why she's usually successful with her 3toe/steps/3toe in her long program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For the record, I only mentioned Liashenko's lutz, because that's the jump where the telegraphy is bad enough to stand out.

I cravenly avoided mentioning Fumie's lutz because there are many fans who really find her very artistic. The only thing I really love in Fumie's skating is her kick-a** circular footwork, but that is my deficiency, yes? However, I find her lutz badly enough telegraphed to be memorable.

As to Michelle and the flip in the LP-this I don't remember, have to check.

dpp

Speaking of Lichenko,,,,, She will win the Technical in all the competitions she is in because every jump she does is correct and she lands them perfectly. COP will prove this, imo.

The effect of telegraphing may well hinder the Presentation mark.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
I singled out Liashenko for being number one because for me it looks soo awful. I don't mind telegraphing if it doesn't look bad like MK and Fumie look find setting up. Actually I enjoy Liaskenko's skating without the jumps so I'm only stating the obvious and Dick and Peg really don't have to point that out for me. Maybe for others but she stands out.