Telegraphing Your Jumps | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Telegraphing Your Jumps

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Surya was not only an amazing "telegrapher," she used to almost come to a dead stop before she jumped! It was so awkward looking.

Irina is one of biggest telegraphing culprits today. I'm a fan, but its the one thing that irks me about her skating. She's such a strong jumper, but the telegraphing distracts from it.

kappa_1

On the Ice
Well, to give Surya some credit - her opening double axel in her 98 oly lp came from nowhere! I did not see it coming, and it was perfectly timed to the beat of the music. Just giving her some credit cus I know she has many bashers.

Telegraphing - Liashenko yes and many others.

Perfect lutz = Liashenko and no so many others.

Which is worse?... Telegraphing a perfect lutz or a lutz turned into a flip? (I refuse to use the term flutz.)

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Which is worse?... Telegraphing a perfect lutz or a lutz turned into a flip? (I refuse to use the term flutz.)

Definitly lutz turned into flip.

But I have to add that the way Liashenko telegraphing is really awkward.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I don't think Liashenko has a perfect lutz. Neither she nor Suguri hold a flat blade on the take-off. Each often collapses the ankle and bows it outward and jumps off the front of the blade on a curve. I'm not sure if this is pre-rotating off the blade, but it's not holding on the straight edge like Volchkova and Sebestyen do.

If Liashenko is called on the telegraph, the most she will receive is a +1, due to the mandatory deduction. I don't think that will make her much more competitive than she is now.

My least favorite telegraph (in general) is the universal "I've got to pee" crossed legs bent-at-the-waist entrance into the loop.

S

SkateFan4Life

What I find especially distracting about skaters who excessively telegraph their jumps is that they often keep their heads down, staring at the ice, while they are "telegraphing". There is absolutely no connection with the music, the audience, or the judges while this is going on.

UGH!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

Holly Cook and Katarina Witt may not have telegraphed their jumps, but they both had the rather gawky habit of holding both of their arms in front of them as they set up for their triple toes.
Whenever they did that, I knew exactly what jump they were launching into.

Skatefan

"Holly Cook and Katarina Witt may not have telegraphed their jumps, but they both had the rather gawky habit of holding both of their arms in front of them as they set up for their triple toes."

That is called technique and, imo, not the most esthetically pleasing.

Joe

southwest wind

Rinkside
Another skater that used to telegraph her lutz very badly was Jennifer Robinson. You would swear that she was going to hit the boards before she would finally jump. She went from the Leigh's and Mariposa for a summer with Richard Callahan and worked on fixing this. Now it is excellent..no telegraphing, strong outside edge, no flutz. So, I guess you can unlearn it...

SWW

S

SkateFan4Life

Trixi Schuba was another "telegrapher". She took so LONG to set up her jumps - there was absolutely no element of surprise.