Russian nats | Golden Skate

Russian nats

krenseby

Final Flight
January 4-8, I believe, in St. Petersburg.

Not to gloat but Russia's ladies field is so weak this year that either Alyssa Czisny or Bebe Liang could walk away with the Russian national champion title ;-)

Kasey

Medalist
Don't know what is 'gloating' about that, but since I have little interest in ladies, I really don't care that much....The other disciplines should be competitive and interesting to me.

discoduck

On the Ice
I think dance, pairs and men's at Russian Nationals will be very interesting this year. I honestly couldn't even tell you the name of one Russian lady that's competing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think dance, pairs and men's at Russian Nationals will be very interesting this year. I honestly couldn't even tell you the name of one Russian lady that's competing.

Pairs should be interesting, yes.

Dance? Not so much. DomShabs will win and Khok/Nov will be second. Third will probably go to Bobrova/Soloviev. I think the Junior ice dance competition will be more intriguing than the Seniors.

Men is always a crapshoot. Any of Griazev, Voronov, Uspenski, Dobrin, Lutai could win. But they are all so inconsistent!

dancemaster

On the Ice
Russian national in dance the 3rd spot will be contested by 3 to 4 equal teams two of which will be
Anachtasiya Platonov-Alexander Grachev
Natalia Mikhailova - Andrei Maksimishin

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian national in dance the 3rd spot will be contested by 3 to 4 equal teams two of which will be
Anachtasiya Platonov-Alexander Grachev
Natalia Mikhailova - Andrei Maksimishin

Yes, these teams are 'reconstituted' from Platonova / Maksimishin, Mikhailova / Sergeev and Romanovskaya / Grachev.

BUT
Platonova / Maksimishin and Mikhailova / Sergeev had disappointing results when they moved up from Junior to Senior in the 2006-2007 season, and Romanovskaya / Grachev floundered as Seniors after winning JW.

So I'm not convinced that either of the new teams are going to be any better than Bobrova / Soloviev (who had a pretty good Senior debut).

dancemaster

On the Ice
Yes, these teams are 'reconstituted' from Platonova / Maksimishin, Mikhailova / Sergeev and Romanovskaya / Grachev.

BUT
Platonova / Maksimishin and Mikhailova / Sergeev had disappointing results when they moved up from Junior to Senior in the 2006-2007 season, and Romanovskaya / Grachev floundered as Seniors after winning JW.

So I'm not convinced that either of the new teams are going to be any better than Bobrova / Soloviev (who had a pretty good Senior debut).
OK..i am lead to believe Anachtasiya Platonov-Alexander Grachev are a better team then B/S..and they training under the same coach..but time will tell

gio

Medalist
IMO There is a person who has a huge responsability that the state of the Russian ladies is this bad and deteriorating season after season. I won't give any name, but you could imagine who this person is.

oxade21

Match Penalty
There is a person who has a huge responsability that the state of the Russian ladies is this bad and deteriorating season after season. I won't give any name, but you could imagine who this person is.

Yeah, another conspiracy theory????
If you mean Pissev, that's not a secret. It is easy to look for a scapegoat. The fact is there are many reasons that figure skating in Russia has been in decline, primarily they are economic. Besides, it is not like Russian women were that strong either.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian women were quite strong from 1994 through 2006, with Markova, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Soldatova and Volchkova.

During that period, Russian women earned 114 medals (44 gold, 40 silver and 30 bronze), including:
63 GP event medals (27 gold, 21 silver, 15 bronze)
13 GPF medals (4 gold, 4 silver, 5 bronze)
25 European medals (10 gold, 9 silver, 6 bronze)
11 Worlds medals (3 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze)
2 Olympic medals (1 silver, 1 bronze)

oxade21

Match Penalty
Russian women were quite strong from 1994 through 2006, with Markova, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Soldatova and Volchkova.

During that period, Russian women earned 114 medals (44 gold, 40 silver and 30 bronze), including:
63 GP event medals (27 gold, 21 silver, 15 bronze)
13 GPF medals (4 gold, 4 silver, 5 bronze)
25 European medals (10 gold, 9 silver, 6 bronze)
11 Worlds medals (3 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze)
2 Olympic medals (1 silver, 1 bronze)

So your point is??? Two Olympic cycles. What about before? And I would hardly count Markova, Soldatova and Volchkova as strong. That kind of strong can be achieved by any of today's Russian ladies. Gerboldt, Petushkova and Martenova will be able to do as much if not more than those ladies. The only consistently strong ladies were Slutskaya and Buterskaya and most of those medals belong to them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Markova and Volchkova won Euros medals as well as several GP medals. Soldatova won World bronze.

You cannot say Russian women have never been strong, when from 1999 through 2002, they swept the European medal podium. From 1998 through 2003, there was always a Russian woman on the World podium.

Compared to Markova, Volchkova and Soldatova, Gerboldt, Petushkova and Martinova are pathetic. Petushkova had the best finish by a Russian lady at the GP this season, when she was 6th at CoR. Martinova finished 11th in China and dead last in Russia, and Gerboldt was 10th in Russia.

By the time Volchkova was the age of Martinova and Gerboldt, she had already won several GP medals.

Let's see how many medals your young Russian marvels win at Euros, Worlds and Junior Worlds this year. That is, if Piseev even allows any of them to go to those events.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
...Men is always a crapshoot. Any of Griazev, Voronov, Uspenski, Dobrin, Lutai could win. But they are all so inconsistent!

I got the impression that Voronov is blossoming. When they first put him into senior competition, that had to be daunting. He looked quite steady when I saw him on TV not long ago. Of course, Andrey Gryazev usually skates well at home, so I am not saying Voronov will win. I am looking forward to seeing what happens at Russian Nationals. Also, Dobrin has been working with Mishin now, and that needed time to bear fruit; we may see some solid results from it at Nationals.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
.... Besides, it is not like Russian women were that strong either.

It depends on how you look at it, oxade.

Butyrskaya was the oldest woman ever to win Worlds. I'd call that strong. She had refused to give up. Most of all, Slutskaya has been very strong. She skated with attack, so much of it, attempting difficulty that broke old bounds, and was later imitated. She also came back when people thought she could not, after her life-threatening illness, and, happy to come in ninth at the beginning of her return, she rose to the heights of competition. I'd call that the very essence of strength.