Music Selections for next season for some skaters (may still be rumor) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music Selections for next season for some skaters (may still be rumor)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Originally posted by SkateFan4Life:
I predict that Sasha Cohen's "Swan Lake" will be as memorable as Oksana Baiul's "Swan Lake", and her performance will carry her to her first US and World titles next year.

You think so? Well in that case she certainly has her work cut out for her :p , certainly if MK or SH or even AP is competing then it's gonna be tough for her. And even tougher at the international level, when you factor in IS, FS, ES, you get the drift...she'll definitely have to stay on her feet this time...

heyang

Record Breaker
Take 5 is a very difficult piece of music to interpret. I agree tha Amber's interpretation was not interesting, but T&D were very successful at it. Also, Chen Lu used it for her short program during the 96/97 season. It was choreographed by Chris Dean. You could tell that it was a really good program, but she was not skating well that season.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This is quite an impressive list of musical selections. With the music chosen, can the competitions be far behind? 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Take 5?

RealtorGal said:
I disagree about Jeff's choices. While I like "Take 5" as a piece of music, for a skating program, it's duller than cardboard. No peaks, no drama, no variation whatsoever. Remember Amber's dull routine to that music a year or so ago? YAWN! If you're looking to engage an audience, this is not the piece of music to do it. Jeff needs all the help he can get--this music will not help him at all. :p

I dunno... Torvill & Dean did an amazing program to that peice of music... one of my favorite programs for theirs

lavender

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
You think so? Well in that case she certainly has her work cut out for her :p , certainly if MK or SH or even AP is competing then it's gonna be tough for her. And even tougher at the international level, when you factor in IS, FS, ES, you get the drift...she'll definitely have to stay on her feet this time...

I agree it's going to be difficult. She may win her 1st national title but Michelle's not her only factor. She's going to have to get pass Irina and Elena at Worlds. However I know she's a big favorite.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
Swan Lake

I went to see Swan Lake this year at Lincoln Center and it was beautiful so I'm excited to see it in skating this season. Sasha could be an excellent black swan.

missflick

On the Ice
Yuck and ptuooi to Michelle Currie's choices. The Door's? Uh, not for me (for a skating program anyway):rolleyes:

Yay for JB's choices though.:)

Sidejehoka

Rinkside
Re: Music Selections......

SkateFan4Life said:
I predict that Sasha Cohen's "Swan Lake" will be as memorable as Oksana Baiul's "Swan Lake", and her performance will carry her to her first US and World titles next year.

:)

AMEN

No skater will ever be able to portray Odette/Odile as it is done on the stage. Toe rakes are just not toe shoes!!!

I really have no objection to a skater using Swan Lake, but what I would like to see is the skater's own choreography to the music and not to Petipa's rendition of the story. There is some powerful music in the last act of Swan Lake. Why not use it with a different twist? (I could say the same about Don Q and Carmen.)

My Best Swan Lake? Rudy Galindo! who did his own thing and didn't follow the story.

Joe

Swan Lake

Hold on to your laptop, Joe (hmm?) but I am about to agree with you about Rudi Galindo's interpretation of "Swan Lake." Althought I thought Oksana was the most naturally balletic and happened to be born with the arm-movement genes to do "Swan Lake" arms beautifully, both in her "Black Swan" SP and her Saint-Saens "The Swan" exhbition piece, IMO she was an exception--and maintained that exception for only a short time. I agree with you that there is great music in Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake," but I actually think that like Rudi it would work better as an LP because it gives the skater more time to use the various tempi and qualities of the music, as well as forget the story.

With Tarasova though, who knows? Sometimes she takes a piece of music and goes way out there and other times she goes right down the middle. For Sasha's sake, I hope TT forgets tradition. But then my favortie skating "Swan Lake" is still Shizuka Arakawa's techno-leather version (I know, I'm in the minority).

As for Suguri and "Paint it Black," there are several other versions besides the Stones'. The Stones' version has a middle eastern undertone to it, so maybe Suguri's version will go along those lines, which I can see as befitting. The music can't have vocals anyway, so at least we don't have to try to imagine Suguri's skating to Mick Jagger's voice :eek: Not a match in my mind;) Could be interesting. And good for Suguri for moving away from "Swan Lake." It seems like there is an unwritten rule that SOMEBODY has to skate to "Swan Lake" every year. Why can't it be "Ride of the Valkyries?"
Rgirl
(That's 1686 characters:D)

dmr65

On the Ice
I love Swan Lake, and I like Sasha's skating.. :D

Well, I enjoyed Sasha's old style of skating, but I still enjoy her presence on ice.. So I can't wait to see this.

I can't wait for Plushy, either.. :eek:

Denise..

rGirl - We will always disagree on Oksana and so be it. Nice to read that we agree on Rudi's non storytelling of that basically horror story of some nut turning girls into swans.

I've often spoke out in the theatre and asked the question, Why does he do this? Immediately, I hear shh shh. It's just as bad when I ask the question in Sleeping Beauty, Does that guy know how old she is? But then I'm a big fan of the Trocs, too.

As for Sasha. Now there's a gal I really enjoy as a skater. Lots of talent. I hope that her skating to Swan Lake (whether white of black swan) is her own feeling for that scrumptuous score of Tschaikowsky, and not what Petipa did with it. I suspect it will be a copy of Oksana.

If she comes out flapping her arms as if they were wings, I'll give an automatic 2 point deduction. It's been overdone on figure skates, and for me, it just doesn't do it without toe shoes.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I've often spoke out in the theatre and asked the question, Why does he do this? Immediately, I hear shh shh.

Yeah, that's what I'm always hoping will happen when I go to the theater/a concert/a movie: That some guy will state his opinion loudly... It helps me to pass the time during the unimportant stuff! :D ;)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing what Tarasova does with Swan Lake for Cohen. I hope it has the sweep of the waltz SP Cohen used in 2002. I'm hoping that the footwork doesn't mirror the deathly slow sequence including hops on "pointe" that Suguri used this year in her long program. I agree that Arakawa's techno version had more "pop" and energy, even if she was dressed like a dominitrix.

My favorite Swan Lake on ice was a version that Klimova and Ponomorenko did. (I can't check the year -- I lost almost all of my skating tapes in a move last year.)

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Re: Music Selections......

SkateFan4Life said:

:)

Well, it can't carry her by itself as part of the SHORT program. :D

Eeyora

Final Flight
With her beautiful balletic style I do believe Sasha's "Swan Lake" does have the potential to become a masterpiece. However she must skate it cleanly first.