Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Music Selections for next season for some skaters (may still be rumor)

No skater will ever be able to portray Odette/Odile as it is done on the stage. Toe rakes are just not toe shoes!!!

I really have no objection to a skater using Swan Lake, but what I would like to see is the skater's own choreography to the music and not to Petipa's rendition of the story. There is some powerful music in the last act of Swan Lake. Why not use it with a different twist? (I could say the same about Don Q and Carmen.)

My Best Swan Lake? Rudy Galindo! who did his own thing and didn't follow the story.

Joe

Custom Woman

Swan Lake

Hold on to your laptop, Joe (hmm?) but I am about to agree with you about Rudi Galindo's interpretation of "Swan Lake." Althought I thought Oksana was the most naturally balletic and happened to be born with the arm-movement genes to do "Swan Lake" arms beautifully, both in her "Black Swan" SP and her Saint-Saens "The Swan" exhbition piece, IMO she was an exception--and maintained that exception for only a short time. I agree with you that there is great music in Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake," but I actually think that like Rudi it would work better as an LP because it gives the skater more time to use the various tempi and qualities of the music, as well as forget the story.

With Tarasova though, who knows? Sometimes she takes a piece of music and goes way out there and other times she goes right down the middle. For Sasha's sake, I hope TT forgets tradition. But then my favortie skating "Swan Lake" is still Shizuka Arakawa's techno-leather version (I know, I'm in the minority).

As for Suguri and "Paint it Black," there are several other versions besides the Stones'. The Stones' version has a middle eastern undertone to it, so maybe Suguri's version will go along those lines, which I can see as befitting. The music can't have vocals anyway, so at least we don't have to try to imagine Suguri's skating to Mick Jagger's voice Not a match in my mind Could be interesting. And good for Suguri for moving away from "Swan Lake." It seems like there is an unwritten rule that SOMEBODY has to skate to "Swan Lake" every year. Why can't it be "Ride of the Valkyries?"
    Rgirl
    (That's 1686 characters:D)

Custom Title

Thumbs up

I love Swan Lake, and I like Sasha's skating.. :D

Well, I enjoyed Sasha's old style of skating, but I still enjoy her presence on ice.. So I can't wait to see this.

I can't wait for Plushy, either.. :o

Denise..

rGirl - We will always disagree on Oksana and so be it. Nice to read that we agree on Rudi's non storytelling of that basically horror story of some nut turning girls into swans.

I've often spoke out in the theatre and asked the question, Why does he do this? Immediately, I hear shh shh. It's just as bad when I ask the question in Sleeping Beauty, Does that guy know how old she is? But then I'm a big fan of the Trocs, too.

As for Sasha. Now there's a gal I really enjoy as a skater. Lots of talent. I hope that her skating to Swan Lake (whether white of black swan) is her own feeling for that scrumptuous score of Tschaikowsky, and not what Petipa did with it. I suspect it will be a copy of Oksana.

If she comes out flapping her arms as if they were wings, I'll give an automatic 2 point deduction. It's been overdone on figure skates, and for me, it just doesn't do it without toe shoes.

Originally posted by Joesitz
    I've often spoke out in the theatre and asked the question, Why does he do this? Immediately, I hear shh shh.
    Yeah, that's what I'm always hoping will happen when I go to the theater/a concert/a movie: That some guy will state his opinion loudly... It helps me to pass the time during the unimportant stuff! :D

Go NJ Devils
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Tarasova does with Swan Lake for Cohen. I hope it has the sweep of the waltz SP Cohen used in 2002. I'm hoping that the footwork doesn't mirror the deathly slow sequence including hops on "pointe" that Suguri used this year in her long program. I agree that Arakawa's techno version had more "pop" and energy, even if she was dressed like a dominitrix.

My favorite Swan Lake on ice was a version that Klimova and Ponomorenko did. (I can't check the year -- I lost almost all of my skating tapes in a move last year.)

Tripping on the Podium

Re: Music Selections......

Originally posted by SkateFan4Life
    I predict that Sasha Cohen's "Swan Lake" will be as memorable as Oksana Baiul's "Swan Lake", and her performance will carry her to her first US and World titles next year.

Well, it can't carry her by itself as part of the SHORT program. :D

Custom Title
    With her beautiful balletic style I do believe Sasha's "Swan Lake" does have the potential to become a masterpiece. However she must skate it cleanly first.

Old school Tim fan
    Parker Pennington:
    SP. The Secert Garden

Always Dream
    I can't wait to see the new programs too

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Plush's Sp was discussed here
    Skating Forum
    Laura, Princess Leppard, do you know anything more?

Dee

Michelle Kwan Fan
    Michelle's programs are discussed here: i know michelles new music! Woohoo! :D

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Rachael
    Parker Pennington:
    SP. The Secert Garden
    Him too? God, I have lost track of how many skaters are using this piece of music.:\

Down With It
    Skatinglady- those have GOT to be rumors, I doubt she would really skate to "Remember the Titans"- I think that was a part of a joke thread at MKF.

Rinkside
    Yes, lol...the entire Michelle Kwan music choice was for fun during the off season. I kinda like the music selections this year, its a little more open than it has been before. I am excited for cambells and the grand prix. :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast