If YOU Could be the Interviewer... | Golden Skate

If YOU Could be the Interviewer...

nubka

Final Flight
This is a spin-off from the recent Peter Carruthers thread...

Since many skating interviews obviously leave a LOT to be desired (and make us cringe just watching them,) what would you do differently if you were running the show? Besides using a lot more tact than some do, what kind of questions would you ask (especially if the skater had a less than stellar performance?) Maybe focus on what went right, instead of what went wrong?

What would you do/say/ask?

(I've always wondered why some skaters agree to those on-the-spot interviews after a bad skate...I'd just want to be alone!)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
So.... you're planning at least one quad in your long these coming Nationals, aren't you?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First, I don't think the skaters get too much to say in the matter.

Second, it might depend on the situation. It is one thing, for example, if a skater is known to be recovering from an illness or injury to ask if that had an effect -- such as by cutting down training time. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask about "what went well" -- usually, we know what went wrong.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I often heard Peter Carruthers ask neutrally-worded questions like "What do you think of your performance today?" I think it fine:) I think it nice to be smiling, respectful, and kind. I also think it important to remain a listener rather than talking a lot on your part. But I feel that you as a journalist may feel pressured to solicit some kind of 'drama' from the skater. I feel that being a good interviewer may be a lot more difficult than I could imagine.

nubka

Final Flight
I often heard Peter Carruthers ask neutrally-worded questions like "What do you think of your performance today?" I think it fine:) I think it nice to be smiling, respectful, and kind. I also think it important to remain a listener rather than talking a lot on your part. But I feel that you as a journalist may feel pressured to solicit some kind of 'drama' from the skater. I feel that being a good interviewer may be a lot more difficult than I could imagine.

Well said! That's kind of how I felt after reading the Carruthers thread, that even though it seems as if it would be so easy to conduct interviews, sometimes it really isn't, and although some do, not everybody has a talent for it...

Good point about the "drama" aspect of it.

nubka

Final Flight
You know, I'm really suprised at the lack of responses to this thread. With all complaints towards commentators & interviewers that I've seen on this board, I thought we would get some interesting ideas about how the whole process could be improved.

I guess it's more fun to just complain...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well I have to say Peter;s questions today on the GPF broadcast weren't bad. He asked evan not about the salchow, but about of he felt that he did a better job keeping up with the music.

I would ask if the skaer was pleased with the performance, is it what you wanted or expected, I would ask why they choose that particullar music, ask about the story they are trying to tell, I would ask how was this perofrmnace diffrent than practice.