Too Late to Compete? Standard Track vs. Adult | Golden Skate

Too Late to Compete? Standard Track vs. Adult

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I posted awhile back about starting skating at a late age (I was 20 at the time). Since then (minus a period of time when I had a concussion), I've been skating upwards of 15 hours a week... kind of beside the point... but here is the question. I've now been skating for 2 years, because I had a background in dance in gymnastics, things came pretty quickly. I'm landing two triples extremely consistently (loop and toeloop) and can pull off a 3T-2L, sal and double axel are coming along but more on the inconsistent side (lutz and flip are VERY VERY VERY inconsistent). Spirals are good, spins are good (better in position than rotation), footwork and skating skills need a lot of work.

BUT I have yet to take a single figure skating test. To my own embarrassment *blush*, one reason I haven't done any testing is pure stage fright. I don't know what avenue to pursue, the standard or adult route. Competing on the standard amateur level seems pretty silly to start doing at my age, but I really just don't know. My coach wants it to be my decision, but any input would help. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Considering there has not been a lady at Adult Nationals who landed a triple, why not go for standard track where you can challenge yourself? Many ladies are truly ladies (20+) at standard track nationals in the Senior ranks. You wouldn't be silly if you worked on your deficiencies AND you'd truly be an inspiration!!

gsrossano

Final Flight
You don't have to do one or the other. You can do both. But if you have everything through 2Lz and can land a double-double combination you have all the jumps you need to pass the complete standard test structure through Senior. Many people would find that a more satisfying accomplishment than just passing the adult tests. If you are a nervous tester, you are going to be nervous no matter what track you follow, so you might as well go for it all. Also passing the standard tests gives you more options for the adults events you can compete in.

You don't say if you are working on MITF. Remember to take the free skating tests you have to do the MITF also. If you don't have time/interest to do them all then maybe the adult track would be better for you since there are only four adult MITF tests.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, you can't compete qualifying events (Regionals) and Adult events in the same season, but you could try one and then the other...

gsrossano

Final Flight
But you can do both test structures simultaneously.

If the question is about competing, as opposed to just testing, another factor to consider is that at 22 you could not compete in the standard track until you have passed your Novice FS and MITF tests (other than Open Juvenile where you would be mixed in with girls mainly 13-16). So you would have quite a few tests to pass before you got started. In the adult competition track you would have fewer test to pass before you could start competing.

And there is no reason to feel shy about trying to compete at Novice at 22. I know a few skaters who have competed in Novice who were 20, and in Junior and Senior there are plenty of ladies competing who are in their 20s (and late 20s at that).

Sounds to me like you really want to try the standard track but are afraid you will look out of place. Once you get to Novice I don't think that would be true. Also, if you are mainly thinking of competing in local competitions, you "only" have to pass the Intermediate tests to compete at Novice, since nearly all local competiitons allow you to skate up a level.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well the first thing i would do is pass all those moves in the field tests. no matter how good you are to jumps (and you learned AMAZINGLY fast) those moves tests take a long time. By the time you got to the junior or senior level ( the only levels you could compete at when you are over 20 years old you would be like 4 years older. However, if you decide in 4 years... or however long it takes you to finish testing that you are too old and want to do adults, all the tests transfr over, meaning that if you passed the senior moves you would be considered a Adlut Masters Senior. So i would start testing the standard USFSA tests, esp the moves. You have to test the moves before the freeskate.

good luck and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Don't forget that there are age restrictions in Junior - so your only competitive options would be to Novice or Senior.....Junior is under 19 as of July 1st for singles - an ISU rule.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The Junior rule is only internationally. At the National level, there are no age restrictions at Novice or higher.

gsrossano

Final Flight
The Junior rule is only internationally. At the National level, there are no age restrictions at Novice or higher.

Exectly right. USFSA rules 3640, 3650, 3660. No age restrictions for Novice and above in USFSA competition.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Sorry- most countries follow ISU rules and have age limits on Junior....Didn't know the US was different!

Kypma

Final Flight

passion

On the Ice
I think your accomplishmnents are really amazing. I have never heard of an adult skater (beginning as an adult) learning up to and including triple jumps in two years (or any year period!). So, it sounds like you have a lot of natural talent. It also sounds like you are competitive. 22 is actually not that out of place! There are a host of senior competitors in their twenties. I would say go for the standard track just because you'll challenge yourself more and you have greater goals in the future (ie. moving up to senior level).

manleywoman

Rinkside
I would also agree that you should go through the Standard track. At a certain point it will grandfather you in to the Adult track anyway. But if you're nervous about testing, you'll be nervous about competing too: it's still done in front of judges! So just get the testing done and start competing when you can.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Manleywoman has a good point. I've taught quite a few adults over the years at all levels, and found that the learn-to-skate adults were quite interested in passing badges - once they switched into the test stream, were often reluctant to test at all. In fact, I have one adult who started in learn-to-skate with a group of adults about 8 years ago - and is the only one to have tested freeskate, dance and artistic (to the gold level!). Many of the adults tested lower level dances, and one did finish her Gold dances - but refused to challenge herself with freeskate and artistic tests, except at the very low levels because she wanted to
'win' all the competitions in her age categories......One guy tested only his preliminary dances - and competes at that level - but could pass his golds in no time.

The adult skater who stuck with the standard test stream failed numerous times and tests - but in the end has the satisfaction of learning to deal with failure (a good life skill) and the satisfaction of learning to handle nerves while achieving her goals.

So try as many standard tests as you can - realizing that your fear of failure will get in the way but eventually you will learn how to compete - and the feeling of success will be ever so sweet!

Dreams are a combination of hard work and determination.

mskater93

Record Breaker
For some adults, the issue isn't not wanting to challenge themselves or fear of failure, just LACK OF TIME!! They get to a level and just don't have the time to push any further due to jobs, family, etc. They make trade offs.

italia

Rinkside
I think that if you are landing 2 triples....thats good to compete senior...and if you keep improving like you did senior nationals could be in reach! Standard track is the way to go!

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Not to be discouraging but with just two triples - wouldn't going Novice or Junior for a year make more sense? A double axel is a must for any level above Juvenile.

In Canada, you can try a competitive test without any other tests - ie senior without ever passing moves or freeskate tests......Can you do the same in the USA or do you have to pass all the moves and freeskate tests beginning at preliminary -- or can you go straight to senior moves and senior freeskate?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
But you can do both test structures simultaneously.

If the question is about competing, as opposed to just testing, another factor to consider is that at 22 you could not compete in the standard track until you have passed your Novice FS and MITF tests (other than Open Juvenile where you would be mixed in with girls mainly 13-16). So you would have quite a few tests to pass before you got started. In the adult competition track you would have fewer test to pass before you could start competing.
For those without a current USFS rulebook, Don Korte's site has useful info about test/competition levels (though not necessarily the most up-to-date): http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_rules.htm

In Canada, you can try a competitive test without any other tests - ie senior without ever passing moves or freeskate tests......Can you do the same in the USA or do you have to pass all the moves and freeskate tests beginning at preliminary
You have to pass the moves and FS tests beginning at Pre-Preliminary.

Last edited: