Too Late to Compete? Standard Track vs. Adult | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Too Late to Compete? Standard Track vs. Adult

singerskates

On the Ice
Wow, I went to look at the new US "Competitive Test Track" and was shocked to see that the Adults competing in Adult Bronze FS actually are doing the same as the Pre-juvenile FS level in competition yet we are limited jumping pass wise and time wise. Adult Pre-Bronze FS has the same requirements as Preliminary FS.

I think the adult free skate times should be adjusted to match what matches in the Competitive Test Track... ex. Adult Pre-Bronze 1:40 max, Adult Bronze 2:10 max, Adult Silver 2:40 max, Adult Gold 3:10 max, Masters Novice 3:40 max, Masters Junior 3:40 max and Masters 4:10 max with no minimum time. Wouldn't you US Adult skaters like to have more time to use to skate in your programs? If I were a US skater, I would.

Here in Canada we have too much time for each level. We adults should have our max times cut down. Right now the max time for Adult Bronze is 2:40 max. That's a bit much when we have few elements to do in our program ei. elements 4 jumping passes, 2 solo spins ladies either spiral sequence or step sequence - men step sequence. And at the Adult Bronze level our in betweens are not that great that we can skate around for the other 2 mins . Plus when we go to compete anywhere other than Canada we always have to chop our programs down any way.

Wow, triple jumps in less than 2 years from scratch!!!!!! If you live near the Canadian border come and test over here. You'll be able to skip those Moves in the Field tests and get to test up where you belong. I'd write to the closes Canadian Section and Skate Canada about your special problem. I'm sure that they'd be very interested in you.

Last edited:

goodyear18

Spectator
I think your accomplishmnents are really amazing. I have never heard of an adult skater (beginning as an adult) learning up to and including triple jumps in two years (or any year period!). So, it sounds like you have a lot of natural talent. It also sounds like you are competitive. 22 is actually not that out of place! There are a host of senior competitors in their twenties. I would say go for the standard track just because you'll challenge yourself more and you have greater goals in the future (ie. moving up to senior level).

I totally agree!! I was discouraged from going ahead and now I regret that I listened!!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Thanks to everyone that responded. I've decided to do the standard track and have already begun the testing process. On the practice end... things are going very well (if only the rest of life were going as well.. haha). The double axel is finally consistent. I'm working extremely hard on my edges going into my lutzes and flips... lutz is good, but i tend to triple lip instead of triple flip. I've even been working on a few 3-3s. My coaches plan is to get the jumps solid so they are committed to muscle memory and then go back to footwork and really work that (it's my weakest point). Jumping and gumby flexibility only get you so far lol... unless I can stop tripping over myself in footwork sequences and transitions, I'm in trouble.

But again, thanks to everyone. Without your respones, I would probably still be twiddling my thumbs. :laugh:

vlaurend

Final Flight
That sounds like a good choice for you, since if you only took the adult track tests, you would not be allowed to do your 2F, 2Lz or 2A in competition. You'd have to cross over to the standard track tests and pass Intermediate MIF and FS before you'd be allowed to do a 2F (competing in Masters Novice).