IF MK won the Olympics | Golden Skate

IF MK won the Olympics

L

ladybug

IF MK won the Olympics

After winning Olympic gold, Tara went professional. After winning Olympic gold, Sarah continued to compete but did not do as well as was expected.

If Michelle had won the Olympics in 98 or in SLC would she have continued competing or would she have gone to school. gone pro, or just moved on with her life.

In 98 I think she would have gone to school and enjoyed the life of just a regular student. After SLC, she would have returned to school but would have persued other interests as well. That is my take on the "Would Have."

R

RealtorGal

Re: IF MK won the Olympics

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">Michelle seems to be addicted to her quest for Oly gold. She talks about the joy of competing, but I believe that had she won Oly gold, she would not be competing right now. Had she retired in '98, that would have been our loss because so many great programs followed in the following years. She does not want to admit (perhaps even to herself) that she still wants that Oly gold medal!</span>

A

ApacheApache

Here's my take based on my analysis of her character that I perceive:

Had she won the Oly in 1998, she would still be skating now as an amateur. This is one hell of a competitive athlete here. She loves competitions and the pressure of competing, I can understand that and empathize with her because I'm exactly like her. The only difference is my passion is tennis and I don't possess the talents. Perhaps many of you don't understand what the fuss is with loving to compete. Let me tell you, it's very addictive and self-satisfying to the point of being cathartic.

I also agree with Realtorgal that she still covets the Oly gold as much as she ever has. The difference between the present Michelle and the past is that, she has come to terms with not winning the Oly gold. Her skating with total abandon, joy and freedom at this year's Nationals and Worlds has shown that. However, that doesn't mean she doesn't covet the Oly title, I strongly feel she still does.

I am waiting for her to show up at Turino (spelling?). By then, I know she would be skating without the MUST WIN mentality because even now, she's already won a place on the legends' list, which has been one important dream of hers since young. She had thought she needed the Oly gold to become a legend but now we all know it's not always the case.;)

S

Skate Sandee

I think Michelle is very much like Katerina Witt in 1994. Granted the East German government pretty much gave Katerina no choice but to stay in for the 88 Games after she won in 84. But after two gold medals, what possible reason did she have to reinstate in 94 when she had no realistic shot of winning or even medaling? Her love of skating and her love of competing. Plain and simple. Other Olympic Champions have stayed in to compete at another Olympics. Why?

Should it be assumed that EVERY skater that goes to multiple Olympics stay in the sport just to win gold? I would say not, since many skater never reach the top 10, never mind the podium. Does Michelle want an Olympic gold medal? Sure - she and every other skater on the planet. But I don't think that's what DRIVES her. It's a dream, sure. But even if she won it already, there's no doubt in my mind she'd still be competing. At the end of the day, it's about the joy of skating.

(How much longer till the season begins? I'm in withdrawal!!)

J

Joesitz

Here's may take:

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><em><strong>Had she</strong></em></span> won in 98, she would have wanted to stay for 02. There is a strong desire for competing. Had she won in 02, she may have thought that that was enough but the "Pro competitions" stuff at the time,were gone and she was making more money as an amateur.

That strong desire for competing together with the fabulous income remains, and the school bit is put on hold.

I see MK hanging in there till she's off the podium or goes on to 2006 whichever comes first. At 45, happily married with kids goes back to college to complete degree. Lea Salongo's daughter plays her life on a Made for TV Movie with a cameo by Michelle herself.;)

By the way, Apache - I believe it's Turin in English and Torino in Italian.

Joe

L

LAVENDER

I think Michelle would have stayed through to 02 and I think the only difference is that she wouldn't feel the pressure to win because she already had the gold. I think Michelle would compete until she knows that she can't compete with the others and land on the podium. Still competing is important to her.

Does she want gold still? Yes, but I think she knows now (definitely knows) that the O gold may not be for her. It just may not be meant to be so I think she will just skate to do her best. I think she's think she won't know unless she tries. I know I've accepted that it just my not be part of Michelle's fate.

I also truly feel Michelle likes that feeling of competing. I hate the nervousness that I get when I do but Michelle actually said long ago that she likes that feeling. Most people don’t but they go through it. Like I don’t think Irina likes those feeling but she’s a competitive person. Deep down I’m very competitive but I hate competing. I hate the whole process of it and I try to avoid it although I did it all through high school. It was just the only way that I could get what I wanted.

P

Pather2000

<em>I have to agree with Joesitz. Had see won In 98 & belive that she still would have gone to 2002. She was skating wonderfully. & I belive that she would have wanted to the 1st( I think, Not sure but) the 1st. American Ladies Back to Back Gold medal winner. Her Quiting & turning pro Because of one GOld Medal. I don't think so. She has too much drive to stop. Like Joesitz said, Maybe, after 2006 ( If she makes it that is a long way off) or when she turns 45 or 50. </em>

E

emiC

It is an interesting topic for fun and speculation. BUT PLEASE leave the analysis of a skater's <span style="color:eek:range;">PSYCHE </span> out. At least leave the cyber space shrinking of a skater's head to Dr. Phil.

Have a nice day.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:blue;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">This is a public message board forum, and we are free to post as we please. No one is making any mean or nasty comments about the skater, just making a thoughtful analysis of what might drive this particular skater to remain past '98 and '02. Last time I checked the rules of this board, that was just fine with Paula.</span>

E

emiC

I am not accusing anyone of being thoughtless, I have a request/ wish that one should leave the cyber shrinking to the experts. :)

I can't read a skater's mind, and I certainly don't know whether she does or does not want to admit to herself what she wants. :)

thanks

S

SHINE2002

well...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Michelle seems to be addicted to her quest for Oly gold. She talks about the joy of competing, but I believe that had she won Oly gold, she would not be competing right now. Had she retired in '98, that would have been our loss because so many great programs followed in the following years. She does not want to admit (perhaps even to herself) that she still wants that Oly gold medal! [/quote]
Yet from all the interviews and articles I've read in the past years since SLC, it seems to be the contrary. Michelle has *never* denied her dream to pursue the Olympic gold, in fact, she has repeatedly stated that she still "would like to win the gold", but she just has realized that "the gold is NOT everything" and it's "okay if she never wins it".
It sounds like a very honest and healthy perspective to me.

J

Jaana

It think that all US lady skaters since 1968 (with the exception of Hughes) have turned pro after they won the Olympic gold ? And since that time isn´t Katarina With the only exception for staying until the next Olympics and that happened only because she was not free to do what she wanted to do.

Witt competed again in 1994 Olympics, but I think that she came along as other pros also did. I also seem to remember that she has mentioned something like that she wanted to perform for her parents, who were in 1994 the first time able to see her competing in the Olympics.

It is difficult to know what Michelle would have done if she had won the gold in Nagano. My guess is that she would have turned pro and continued her studies. I also believe that the top skaters who do not win in their first Olympics, will stay eligible because they want to compete and especially because they want to make at least another try for the Olympic gold.

Marjaana

mzheng

Record Breaker

I would think Michelle whould've stay had she won OMG at 98. Her was only 17 then. Like Apache and Lavender said She loves competitions and the pressure of competing, I do understand that, especially the process, by the end you'll have the satisfaction of stepping up the chanlenge which no other feeling can substitute. I had the feeling, not in sports though, many times myself. As for had she won OMG at SLC would she continue competing? I'm not sure, but I do see her take 2003 season complete off.

I agree a lot posters said that she may still would like to won OGM. But it is not Life or Death to her anymore.

I read somewhere on web that after 98 worlds, Frank had said to her that she had the ability to win 5 world titles see if she can stepup to the chanlenge. So I think she would've kept competing had she win OGM at 98.

A

ApacheApache

emiC:"I am not accusing anyone of being thoughtless, I have a request/ wish that one should leave the cyber shrinking to the experts.
I can't read a skater's mind, and I certainly don't know whether she does or does not want to admit to herself what she wants.
thanks"

EmiC, I don't see anything wrong with pscho-analysing an athlete. However if it leads to putting the athlete in a negative light, then that's not right because it's all speculation. For example it's ok to deduce that Michelle has always coveted the Oly gold but it's not right and not fair to deduce she's a greedy athlete. Because both deductions are without substantiation, it's only fair that we focus on the positive or be just neutral.

If you feel we should leave cyber-shrinking to the experts, shouldn't we then leave judging to the judges and refrain from discussing who deserves what marks, who has bad technique and so forth? Just my opinion.;)

Back to the topic, I agree with some posters that so long as Michelle is still on the podium, she'll continue to compete until 2006 Olympics. I feel no matter how much you love competing, if you find yourself not being able to compete with others, naturally you'll get discouraged and the love of competing will eventually die down. The thing is, Michelle has always been on the podium, well, good for her. She rocks!

Joe, thanks for the spelling.

E

emiC

Apache Apache

People play arm chair judges all the time, it is a skating message board. It is very different from cyber space head shrinking. IMHO, even people with degrees and training should not psychoanalyze someone they don't know.

I think it is a dis service to the skaters to psychoanalyze their minds, their unconscious motives. You are saying it is OK if it does not put them in a negative light. Let me ask you last year Mr. attraction diagnose Michael Weiss as "narcissistic disorder" it is OK?

"For example it's ok to deduce that Michelle has always coveted the Oly gold but it's not right and not fair to deduce she's a greedy athlete. Because both deductions are without substantiation, it's only fair that we focus on the positive or be just neutral."

Why say something that has no substantiation. You think that it is OK to deduce MK <strong>covet</strong> the Olys gold. I am not challenging your right to cyber space psychoanalysis, but I will put in my request for you not to. You may also choose to ignore me, and keep on the psychoanalysis. :)

If we are going down the path of psychoanalyzing a skater's motive, whether they are admitting to themselves what they want or not, why stop there. Why not analyze and speculate other areas of their lifes too.

Back to topic somewhat. I think it is good for athletes to compete until they know it is time to step down/ off the podium. Michael Jordan, and David Robinson are 2 examples.

M

mathman444

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>If you feel we should leave cyber-shrinking to the experts, shouldn't we then leave judging to the judges and refrain from discussing who deserves what marks, who has bad technique and so forth?[/quote]No, I don't think so. A skater's performance is a public event, fair game for public discussion and criticism. Likewise (Speedy notwithstanding) the performance of the judges is a matter of public record.

To me, idle speculation on an athlete's innermost thoughts and feelings is an undeserved invasion of privacy.

Mathman

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I don't think we can compare Michelle's situation to the gold medal winners of the past who won and went pro. I say that b/c Michelle is in a time where one CAN make money as an eligible and still compete.
I believe Michelle is a very competitive person by nature and she loves the process of competition. She has said repeatedly that she loves the intensity and the pressure. I remember she said on the Today Show after the 2002 Skate America that she missed being on the ice and competing.

She has also said that she will be 90 years old and still be like "I can do the Triple Lutz! I swear I can still do it!". To me that just shows her competitive nature.
I have no doubt in my mind that if Michelle won the gold in 1998, then she would have tried to win one in 2002 too b/c she loves to break records and get into statistics.

S

Shallah.K

With the pro skating situation the way it is now

with no real competitions I could imagine Michelle skating if she had won in 2002. She has repeatedly said there is no feeling like it in the world as skating her best in front of an audiance in competition. If she stays free of serious injury and remains in the top ranks I can see her sticking around for the Turin Games. She still has the competitive fire in her belly. Why give up what you love when you still enjoy the day to day improvements as well as the competitions? While I agree she still wants to win an Olympic gold I don't agree this is her only motivation, not when she has talked so often of how your life can't only come down to 6 minutes, you have to enjoy the daily work to keep motivated.

J

Joesitz

Re: Apache Apache

eMCI - You make good points on what psychoanalzing is and indeed, for a message board, it should be looked upon as something not contributing to the truth of the matter. But I think that is the whole point of the posters responses to the question. they are not psychoanalyzing MKs make up. they are just speculating on what could be some reasons for her to stay in amateur skating after two Olys. Even, your mention of Michael Jordan who went from Basketball to baseball and back to basketball and then switched teams. Well sports fans can only speculate what that was all about. It certainly wasn't a need for money.

As RG pointed out speculation is ok in Golden Skate so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Retorts are fine too.

Someday she'll go but when? In the meantime those who are in adoration of her are happy she is still around and those who enjoy Jordan are happy he stayed in for so long.

Joe

N

nymkfan51

Re: Apache Apache

I do think MK would have continued to compete had she won in '98 ... especially because the '02 games were in the USA.
While I do agree she would like an OGM, I still think competing is the most important thing to her. My feeling is that she is now the strongest mentally that I have ever seen. She seems content and happy with her life and choices. If she does decide to go to Turin in 2006, I hope she can continue to feel this way.