IF MK won the Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IF MK won the Olympics

B

BronzeisGolden02

Michelle

I believe Michelle would have definitely stayed if she had won Gold in Nagano. In defeat she didn't back down or take the easy way out...she showed up in Minneapolis at Worlds a month after crushing disappointment. So, I'd have to say she'd have been just as willing to show up after a glorious triumph. That's another thing I've always respected about Michelle. She rarely lets a successful or unsuccessful competition distract her from preparing for the next one ...she refocuses and rededicates herself no matter how prestigious/non-prestigious a competition is. I think she would have done the same with Olympic Gold in her collection in 98 as well. 2002 is another story. If SLC had been a fairytale ending with a first place finish, I'm feeling she would have retired. So...is Michelle gold medal hungry? I wouldn't say that. Personally, I think the only thing she'll carry from SLC is that she didn't go out with her best, she didn't end the story with all of the gusto she was capable of. That would bother me. I would want to end it with my best...even if that didn't mean a Gold Medal. So...on to Turin!

I

IceCastles1814

Re: Michelle

ITA BronzeisGolden! I have admired MK for that as well. And I think that as much as she wants the OG, if she goes Turino and gives the performances she has always wanted to give there, it would be a second victory of kind, outside of winning the OG. From watching her at worlds and nats, she seems to be enjoying every great performance and victory as it comes and not in relation to one competition every four years. Not that that competition isn't imp. of course, but it's not the whole world in the end. No one can know what's she has thought or is thinking of course, but I think we could all agree that she has not looked as completely happy and free as she's looked this past season for a long time. That much is easy to see without speculation.

E

emiC

Joesitz

I only mentioned that I am glad Jordan retired at a time he chose to. I never speculated what was going on in his mind.

I believe Jordan told everyone why he tried baseball, and why he returned to basketball.

Like Jordan, Michelle Kwan also told everyone why she keeps skating, because she loves to compete

J

Joesitz

Re: Joesitz

Sorry to have misunderstood you, emcI.

Some posters have more of a grasp of language than others. The use of medical and psychological terms may not be fully understood by those posting comments. The Forum has over 1200 members - we must be tolerant.

Joe

E

emiC

Re: Joesitz

GS has more than 1200 members, and I think everyone is cool.

A

ApacheApache

IF MK won the Olympics

Well EmiC and Mathman, I understand where you are coming from perfectly. But I really feel it's ok to speculate (I regret throwing in the word "psychoanalyse") as long it's not detrimental to the subject per se.

EmiC, I only like to speculate on areas that are purely competition-related, I'm not interested in their personal lives ..etc but there are people who are. I don't think it's wrong of them to have interest in discussing their personal lives although I personally find it a waste of time. That's the price to pay for a public figure. Again, as long as it doesn't get negative, it's ok. Just my opinion ok.:D

Yeah this is one cool forum and everyone is cool.;)

Y

yelyoh

IF MK won the Olympics

Well I was sorry that she did not win in 98 but if not winning was her reason for continuing to skate then we are all the better for it including her. Who knows. Maybe even she doesn't. I do agree with Apache about that need to compete; I stink at tennis but am addicted to the competitive aspect of it. If I lose one day then I cannot wait to get back on a court and vindicate myself the next and sometimes even the same day. Competing is exciting.

T

tharrtell

Re: IF MK won the Olympics

No idea what MK would have done had she won gold at either Nagano or SLC; however, I do wonder whether the monkey of the Oly gold is finally off her back? She skated her long program at Worlds this year with total abandon - especially the footwork section. It seemed as though she skated with her entire being and with a freedom that I've never seen from her before.

I believe it when she says that she skates for the love of skating; however, if she does stick it out until Torino, I wonder if she will be at a point where the results are an afterthough?

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:eek:live;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;"><strong>There is a huge difference between being a 4 time world champion skating for a fifth title and skating for gold at the Olympics. Pressure!</strong></span>

M

maxell1313

Looks to me, over the next few years, Michelle's going to have a heavy load to carry, and not just the challenge from the jumping beans.

She needs two (or is it three?) more national titles to beat Maribel Vinson (my bad...I had CH-J in here instead) for the most US ladies titles ever.

She needs one more world title to be second only to Sonja Henie.

And if she gets to Torino and wins the Oly gold (then maybe people will SHUT UP about it), she'll be the only skater to have a full set of Oly medals.

At that point, she won't have any records LEFT to break.

*Edited to correct mistake*

T

tharrtell

RGal,

I would normally agree with you about the pressure of the Olympics, but at this point, Michelle will only have pressure she puts on herself. She doesn't have the pressure of a coach looking for an Oly gold medalist pupil. Her fans don't care. I can't imagine her family does. I don't even think the Oly gold would change her life much at this point. If she has somehow come to the point of knowing that the Oly gold is not the be-all-end-all, I think she will have the ability to skate very differently than she has at the last two Olympics.

tharrtell

G

Glacierskater

REALTORGAL:
I am in the same boat with you (or on the same ice, as the case may be :) ). I think that as long as she is able to skate among the elite skaters of the world, and MK does not have a gold medal, that she will go for the gold. It is the one thing that still eludes her, and for my own selfishness, I hope that she does go for it. That means more MK skating for me to watch. And I hope that she wins.

JOESITZ:
You mentioned a movie about Michelle's life, that she makes a cameo appearance in....do you happen to know what the name of it is? I was wondering. It sounds like something that I would enjoy.

S

Shallah.K

Michelle's spot in the record books

She already has more US titles than any woman other than Maribel Vinson and is trailed by Theresa Weld Blanchard, and Gretchen Merrill who have 6, Tenley Albright, Peggy Fleming and Janet Lynn who have 5, then Linda Fratianne and Carol Heiss with 4. She needs 2 more to tie with Maribel's 9. it took 55 years for a US lady to equal Teresa & Gretchen. The skategods only know how long it will take for one to equal Maribel.

For World Titles Michelle is tied with Carol Heiss and Herma Planck Szabo with 5 behind Sonja Henie's 10. It has been 43 years since Carol Heiss won her 5th title.

J

Jaana

Re: Michelle's spot in the record books

>For World Titles Michelle is tied with Carol Heiss and Herma Planck Szabo with 5 behind Sonja Henie's 10. It has been 43 years since Carol Heiss won her 5th title. >

Yes, and additionally Sonja won three Olympic golds and Carol and Herma one. Tenley and Peggy also won at the Olympics.

Marjaana

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Michelle's spot in the record books.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Yes, and additionally Sonja won three Olympic golds and Carol and Herma one. Tenley and Peggy also won at the Olympics.[/quote]

Yeah. Every one posted in this thread know that. That's the whole point of this thread 'Had Her Won, would she continue?'.

Is any one above dominate the sport in a triple era?

J

Jaana

Re: Michelle's spot in the record books.

I don´t see how a triple era would be different here? I mean that skaters are always competing against their peers in their own era.

Marjaana

J

Joesitz

Glacier - That was not a real movie I mentioned. I was just speculating about MK's future. Some people wonder how she could go on forever. I just jokingly came up with a Made for TV Movie of her life when she hits 40s. I also jokingly suggested the daughter of Lea Salongo to play Michelle, and MK would make a cameo appearance playing her mother. This was all done in JEST!! I'd hate to see this start of rumor.

But it might be fun for the Kwaniacs to begin writing a script - Hopefully, not to sugary.

Joe