2004 US Nationals Website | Golden Skate

2004 US Nationals Website

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to the "official" 2004 US Nationals website. I was amused to read that they are conducting tryouts for presenters and sweepers. OK, I can understand that the folks chosen to present the medals - or at least stand around and flank the USFSA officials who present the medals - be attractive and "look" like figure skaters. I did not download the Adobe Acrobat information sheet and application, but perhaps the "sweepers" are the young girls and boys who take to the ice immediately after each performance and "sweep" the ice clean of debris - flowers, stuffed animals, petals from costumes (ugh) and other stuff that somehow lands on the ice surface. I guess these youngsters have to also be reasonably attractive and be able to negotiate around the ice rink.

http://www.atlanta2004.org/

I see it costs fifty bucks to try out for these positions ($100 to try out for both).

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Why do you assume it's all about being pretty?

The sweepers have to be able to skate. Not just skate, but skate fairly well: quickly and without falling. They also are on TV, so little kids who pick thier noses or have a nervous habit of grabbing thier crotch etc (think Ralph from the Simpsons)... wouldn't be appropriate. Other wise it would be like when Kramer was a ball boy at the US Open.

The officals don't need to skate, but they do have to hold themselves with dignity. Can you imagine some surfer dude with pink hair and an eyebrow peircing waving to his crew or mooning the camera while Sasha is receiving her gold medal?

If anything, pretty people would detract from the skaters. They are probably looking for people who will blend in and not be noticed.

S

SkateFan4Life

Berthes -- ROTFL!! What a hoot! First of all, why should they have to pay $50.00 to try out? Where's that loot going to? I only hope it's going to offset the expenses for running the competition and/or going to the USFSA Memorial Fund.

As for "pretty" young skaters, yep, it would be hilarious if kids who had, shall we say, unattractive personal habits, go out to pick up the flowers on the ice. The cameramen would have a field day with such a sight. What if the kids got into a pushing and shoving match on the ice, ran into each other, mugged at the television cameras, etc.? I imagine they are instructed as to the kind of "proper behavior" that is expected of them.

Thanks for the laugh, Berthes!!

:D :D

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
That's funny - I had no idea you had to try out for those positions! I was thinking of volunteering for the Portland 2005 nationals. By then I will have a little more ice experience (just started lessons a couple months ago) and thought maybe I'd qualify to be one of the flower girls, but they probably wouldn't take me over the cute kids! (I'm 18 now.) There are lots of other volunteer positions tho, and hopefully some that I don't have to pay to try out for!

guinevere

Final Flight
Even though I think it's gross, I'm sure they charge $50 to try out because they can. People will definitely pay for the possibility to do one of these jobs at Nationals (or any competition with big-name skaters, really).

Although, I don't think that the Sweepers are th lil' flower picker-uppers - otherwise there wouldn't be an option to try out for both positions, right? I always thought they got those kids from local rinks (but they probabaly make them pay too :rolleyes: )

guinevere

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Re

Some tryouts were held last weekend and more will be held at the end of August. It does help to be attractive, but the main concern is skating ability. It's a big businees, these spots for sweepers and presenters, you should have heard what backstabbing and b*tching went on when they had tryouts for the SLC positions. That cheerleading mom in Texas had nothing on those moms out there and I'm sure it's the same for Nats. I haven't heard any specific stories yet, but I'll keep my ear tuned in for them. ;) As for charging the fee, they're using that in some ways to hopefully weed out any undesireable groupies that just want to use their position to get an autograph or a hug from their fave.

The kiddies have to audition to get the sweeper job. Btw, the best volunteer job in any competition.

At DC Worlds, some of them were not all that good, imo. Maybe some daddies gave the Association some cash to pick the kids. I'm so skeptical.

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
The kiddies have to audition to get the sweeper job. Btw, the best volunteer job in any competition.

At DC Worlds, some of them were not all that good, imo. Maybe some daddies gave the Association some cash to pick the kids. I'm so skeptical.

Joe

I dunno, the ice patchers have it pretty good too. All they do is watch the skaters until it's zamboni time then fill in some holes and then sit some more. LOL Gate attendants have a cushy position as well.

And you're right to be skeptical about who gets these positions. Anyone that's ever done anything at all for the club will try to throw their weight around in an effort to get their little darling in a position.

S

SkateFan4Life

Maybe one of the overly ambitious skating moms would tell her little darling, "Now Samantha, be sure to show the judges just how adorable you are on the ice when you go to pick up the flowers. Be sure to skate out to the end of the rink, do a jump or a spin, and then proceed with your duties." Ugh...:rolleyes:

I think the kids look pretty cute out there, and they all seem to have a businesslike manner - just pick up the flowers, present them to the skaters, and get a kiss from the skaters.

While $50 seems like a high audition fee, when you consider how much parents spend on their children's skating lessons, costumes,
travel, etc. - $50 is just a drop in the bucket.