Conflict of Interest | Golden Skate

Conflict of Interest

gsrossano

Final Flight
A new ISU Communication on conflict of interest has appeared on the ISU web site (#1481). It reads a little oddly. Like something else is going on beyond what it says.

It would seem the ISU has gotten a bunch of proposals for the 2008 Congress asking that examples of conflict of interest be better defined in the rules. Reading between the lines I am guessing there are some federations out there who feel there have been conflicts of interest that have not being addressed under the current rules.

The ISU Council responded with this communication which says the current rules are adequate and then give 2 pages of examples of conflicts of interest. Also odd, these examples do not address potential conflicts of interest on the Technical Panels, which is the thing a lot of people worry about.

Anybody know anything about what is going on with this? Maybe some of our European posters?

I have also heard a rumor that disciplinary action is being considered for the dance event at the JGP Final.

Thanks for posting this. Here is the document.

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=813

Odd, indeed. On its face it is innocuous to the point of being vacuus (a team leader shouldn't be the wife of the event referee, who has to rule on complaints raised by the team leader -- that sort of thing). I hope someone will be able to supply the inside dope.

On a separate note (speaking of dope), the next communication on the ISU page reports on an ISU disciplinary action that was recently overturned by the World Court for Sport. A speed skater was suspended by the ISU for skipping out of town when the drug testers came around. The appeals court ruled in favor of the athlete and against the ISU, and removed the suspension.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Odd, indeed. On its face it is innocuous to the point of being vacuus (a team leader shouldn't be the wife of the event referee, who has to rule on complaints raised by the team leader -- that sort of thing). I hope someone will be able to supply the inside dope.
Interesting. I wonder if they will end the situation where Piseev's wife Alla Shekhovtseva is usually judging for Russia in ice dance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting. I wonder if they will end the situation where Piseev's wife Alla Shekhovtseva is usually judging for Russia in ice dance.

I always thought it was outrageous that the wife of the head of the RFSF should be judging in ice dance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have also heard a rumor that disciplinary action is being considered for the dance event at the JGP Final.

Is this a new rumor, or is it the same one that's been floating around the boards since the JGPF?

From what I read, Communication 1481 has been issued to let complainers know that the ISU image is the most important cosideration. This seems to me that it was quick action by the ISU due to a recent complaint which the ISU may be abetting something. Is it the results of JGPF Dance. Well, we don't know for sure.

However, this Communication does not really address a particular complaint and by the communication itself kind of suggests that any complaint be considered by the Code of Ethics statue and avoid ISU involvement. Image is important.

I agree, something is behind this.

BTW - Can anyone explain what the following is actually saying?

6. Role of the ISU Disciplinary Commission (ISU DC): As stated in the COE, Official
Complaints may be lodged with the ISU DC for consideration.1 This possible “ultimate”
solution to a perceived conflict of interest is not a solution recommended by the Council.
Such Complaints involve the time of many persons, cost money and probably result in
personal “hard feelings” among people who must work together in harmony for the good of
the ISU sports. The Council urges Members, ISU Office Holder and ISU Officials to resolve
all such issues in the spirit of sportsmanship and in the best interest of the reputation of the
skating sports.
Milano, Ottavio Cinquanta, President
December 31, 2007
Lausanne, Fredi Schmid, Director General
1 “5. Monitoring and Modification of the Code For effectiveness, this Code looks to the honesty and
integrity of the persons to whom it applies. Claimed violations of the Code shall be brought to the attention of
the ISU Disciplinary Commission for consideration and possible action . . . .”

Joe

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
6. Role of the ISU Disciplinary Commission (ISU DC): As stated in the COE, Official
Complaints may be lodged with the ISU DC for consideration.1 This possible “ultimate”
solution to a perceived conflict of interest is not a solution recommended by the Council.
Such Complaints involve the time of many persons, cost money and probably result in
personal “hard feelings” among people who must work together in harmony for the good of
the ISU sports. The Council urges Members, ISU Office Holder and ISU Officials to resolve
all such issues in the spirit of sportsmanship and in the best interest of the reputation of the
skating sports.
The way I read that is if you have a complaint about a result or ethics of a judge, don't bring it up except as a last result. Complaints make us look bad.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So basically, what the communication says is image is all and a pristine image must be kept at all costs, even if that means turning a blind eye to outright cheating and deal-making.

Image gets a resounding YES, and integrity, a shrug.

merrybari

Final Flight
So basically, what the communication says is image is all and a pristine image must be kept at all costs, even if that means turning a blind eye to outright cheating and deal-making.

Image gets a resounding YES, and integrity, a shrug.

Talk about mixed up priorities - this sure is an example. And what kind of example is that to set for the athletes who are - or should be - taught good sportsmanship? Hmmm???

decker

On the Ice
Hmmmmm ... the allegations of JGPF skullduggery that I have heard would not even fall under conflict of interest. And the conflict rules themselves, as mathman said, are quite basic. To me, it seems that teacher is asking the children to play nice and stop shooting spitballs at each other.

Susan

gsrossano

Final Flight
Is this a new rumor, or is it the same one that's been floating around the boards since the JGPF?

New (a day or two before I created the thread -- from a well place source, not a fan.).

Regarding the question by Joe if the JGP Final had something to do with this, maybe, but the communication says the attention on this began in November or earlier -- before the JGP final.

Regarding the 'what does this mean' post above, I would like to be a little more charitable and take it to mean 'it costs a lot of time money and negative energy to resolve conflicts of interest so if someone asks you to step aside and avoid a conflict of interest do it for the good of the sport and the ISU'

But also being cynical, I would say fat chance of that happening in a lot of cases.

Finally, some ancient history. At Worlds in 1998 I asked speedy if the ISU felt that the appearance of a conflict of interest was as bad as an actual conflict of interest, and would the ISU do anything in cases of the appearance of a conflict of interest. This was after the controversy at the 1998 Olympics in (what else) dance. He just didn't get it (my question) and basically said no. So now 10 years later, at least someone in the ISU recognizes that the appearance of a conflict of interest is bad.

Last edited:

decker

On the Ice
Regarding the 'what does this mean' post above, I would like to be a little more charitable and take it to mean 'it costs a lot of time money and negative energy to resolve conflicts of interest so if someone asks you to step aside and avoid a conflict of interest do it for the good of the sport and the ISU'

But also being cynical, I would say fat chance of that happening in a lot of cases.

That's similar to what I meant about the spitball shooting. I wonder if perhaps some members have been engaging in petty disputes amongst each other and then asking the committee to intervene.

Also, the memo reiterates existing policy and rather pointedly states there is no need for additional rules or explications. Thinking over times that I have done committee work, there is always someone who thinks anything s/he dislikes should be punished, even if it's not in the rule book.

Susan

Still, the overall impression of the Communication is that someone wanted to raise a stink and the ISU said, shut up and stop bringing negative publicity to the ISU.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Then what about Ottavio C. (speedy) takes money out of figure skating and pour it to speed skating? Will this be a case of conflict of interest on a larger scale?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
That's not a conflict of interest. That is fraudulent.

Joe

Not necessarily. If, for example, the ISU makes it very clear that all monies earned by both speed skating and figure skating go into a central kitty that gets divided equally between the two sports, then the fact that the sport providing most of the money going into the kitty (figure skating) doesn't get its proportional share from the kitty would not be fraudulent at all.