Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ask any question - skater's version

In love with the axel!

Ask any question - skater's version

This is a fun thread on another site I'm on. You ask a skating question and somebody else answers the question. Then they ask one of their own. This is a lot of fun...so here goes!

Does your coach make you laugh during your lessons? (Mine does, and I love my lessons )

Hickie!
    All the time. And I make her laugh too. Especially when I tell her that my jumps are on vacation in Florida. We like to have fun on the ice.

What's one piece of music you'd love to skate to?

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I would have to go with Beethoven's "Ode to Joy."

What would your dream skating dress/outfit look like?

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    I am lusting after my "dream" skating dress on this website:

[url]http://www.revellawear.com/[/url]

It's the blue flame dress, with crystals, that the girl at the top is wearing. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. I think it would be perfect for my Fire on High music. It's very expensive. My husband wants me to buy it, but I'm conflicted. It probably should be red -- but I think part of what I like about it is the blue, and it would go great with my eyes. I keep telling myself that "fire on high" might mean fire in the sky (blue), but I don't know.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments, though you should probably put them in a separate thread.

OK, for the next question: How do you convince yourself to skate on the days that you don't feel like it?

In love with the axel!
    Cindy - you know, the hottest flames are the blue ones!

It is a very rare day that I do not feel like skating. When it has happened, I tell myself that I will enjoy myself once I get started, and I usually do!

Do you get obsessive when you are learing a new element?

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Depends on the element...if I enjoy it then I do it lots. If it is one that I do not find pleasureable, and am doing it for testing purposes only... then there is no love loss.

Have you eve met someone in person from this or any other skate forum? (If you were friends before, it does not count)

CINDER:
    Love the dress!

Hickie!
    Yes I have. I've met 2 people so far, with a possiblility of 3. They were people from synchroboards and the 2 I met, I met at Festival Synchro Nationals last March. If I go up to see a friend who's been training away from her normal rink, I'll get to meet the third, since she lives 15 minutes from that training site. Before I met the 2 people, I had e-mailed with them for about a month before hand. The one, I have even skated with before, since we live close by.

What is one move that has come easily to you, that it takes others eons to master? For example, it took me less than a month to master an outside spread eagle, and now I'm trying to master it in the other direction.

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I got a half toe walley on the first try. Forward three turns, however took forever. And let's not bring up spinning!!!

What is you absolute "nemesis" move, the one that's hardest for you?

In love with the axel!
    Laybacks. Ugh!

What's the hardest spin you can do or are learning? (For me, it's the flying sit and the corkscrew, both of which are works in progress).

Always Dream
    camel

what's the hardest jump you are working on?

learning but still scared of the lutz....bonked head on flip very hard, and still shy because of it...also started working on axel.

What was it about skating made you feel like you had to do it:
    (eg; saw the Olympics, had a sibling that did it, therapy, needed exercise, want to fly across the ice)

In love with the axel!
    I got fat. Seriously, I went back to skating after 21 years off because I weighed over 200 pounds and wanted to get in shape. Got bitten by the skating bug far harder than I ever had it as a kid, and here I am! (45 pounds, 4 dress sizes and counting...)

Do you drink water while practicing?

Hickie!
    It's not unusual for me to drink 2 bottles of water on my dance session. For freeskate sessions, I usually have 1 bottle of water, unless I'm sick, and then I usually have 2. I can't not have water while skating. I work too hard not to. :D

What do you typically wear to practice?

I never wear dresses. I usually have jammie pants on, stretchy pants, or windsuit pants. Sometimes I will wear shorts with over the boot tights. I usually coordinate my gloves to match what I have on. Sometimes I have a bandana on my head if I have serious bedhead and get up too late to primp. My shirts are usually short sleeve, and I bring a fleece shirt or sweatshirt, or sweater. My signature colors are black and pink. Gotta love that pink!

What is your favorite advertisment featuring skating/skater?
    (Can be magazine, t.v., etc.)

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Glacier, my apologies, because I'm going to answer your question in the negative. The skating commercial that just sets my teeth on edge is the Dorothy Hamill Vioxx one that they played AD NAUSEUM during the Olympics.

Now I LOVE Dorothy and my problems with the commercial are: (1) that I REALLY want to see her skate, but they cut away from her so much, it's like she just gets to do two edges and (2) I was watching HDTV at the time, and this was the ONLY commercial they were authorized to run, so it would play every time they had a break, and sometimes back-to-back-to-BACK! Yikes! that's way too much.

Multi-part Q: Do you keep a skate journal, and what do you put in it, when do you write in it, etc.?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast