Ask any question - skater's version | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ask any question - skater's version

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Right now, I'm taking the courses necessary to become a professional coach. I've volunteered to teach Canskate for the past 9 years as well as helping my coach out with some of her students. Whenever my club hosts the interclub competition from my region, I'm there helping too.

If you could spend one day in an elite skater's skates, who would it be and why?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan. Just to learn her ease of movement and start to learn her technique for skating so QUIETLY. She just moves across the ice silently, her edges, and crossovers and jump landings are just whisper soft.

If you could pick up ONLY one technique/skill from a particular skater, which skater and skill and why?

aly*cutie

On the Ice
Sasha because I want to be really flexible :)

Do you want to go far in your skating? Like make it to Nationals and Olympics

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I've been to nationals before, and won, so I don't need to do that again. I would like to go to the Olympics, but not as a skater, but as a coach. I figure I have at least 15 years before I'd think of that happening, but I'd like to.

Have you ever had to pull out of a competition or test, if so, why?

starshinexavier

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
+-you won nats??????

Yes, I did. It was for synchro and I was on a Novice team. That was quite some time ago, since I've got one more year of eligibility at the Junior level now.

Do I do ice dance? Yes I do, and have been doing so for 9 years. I have 4 dances left out of the 21 in the Canadian dance testing system. I've been working on the Westminister and the Quickstep. I don't like the inside rocker step in the Westminister one bit. The quickstep is fun, and will be the first gold dance that I pass. I can't wait to learn the Samba, and methinks instead of doing the Argentine with the evil twizzle, I'll stick with the Vienesse.

Do you do interpretives? If so, what's your's to? If not, would you ever do one, and what would you skate to?

aly*cutie

On the Ice
3 years, well basically 2 because the first year my coach taught me like nothing exept a spiral and a waltz jump and never tested me to go to another level, so I swithced coaches and I progressed much quicker.

Are you in ISI or USFSA, or both?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
ISI for now, working on FS 2 and 3 skills. I hope to take my first USFSA test this year.

If you could change one thing about your skating, what would it be?

icenut84

Final Flight
Neither! I don't live in America. I'm not part of any association at the moment, but when I am it'll be NISA (British assoc.)

What's the nicest compliment you've ever got on your skating?

icenut84

Final Flight
D'oh, posted at the same time!

If I could change one thing about my skating, I'd be able to skate regularly, having lessons regularly, and be in the skating club. Which I'm doing none of at the moment.
If you mean one thing about my actual *skating*, I'd like to have a lot more natural spinning ability.

I'll keep my question the same - what's the nicest compliment you've ever got about your skating?

icenut84

Final Flight
D'oh, again! This is getting confusing, lol.

The wish for my skating would be the same as the thing I would change - to be a better spinner.

My question again... :)

aly*cutie

On the Ice
hehe yea i got confused too!

The nicest compilment I ever got was that my jumps almost touch the ceiling haha. Or that I am the next michelle kwan lol!

Do you like to compete?

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I haven't gotten to "competition-level" skating yet although I think it'd be cool to do a Basic Skills competition... I'd beat all those little kids, haha. But in the future, I'd very much like to. I'm not an extremely competitive person (esp. w/ team sports... I never cared if our team won!) except I'm interested to see how I'll feel when I'm an individual competing against other individuals, since I've never had that experience before. I'm more of a performer, and I think I'll focus on that aspect.

Multi-part question: Have you ever choreographed your own or someone else's program? What was that like? If not, do you "imagine" choreography as you skate, or if you hear a certain piece of music, or as you watch other skaters...? :)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Rachel: You wouldn't be ALLOWED to beat the little kids in most ISI competitions!! Seriously, you'd skate against people your own age, or against the book if you're the only one above 18. I've skated against the book at 3 levels: Alpha, Gamma and Delta. While there is minimal pressure, I preferred competing against other skaters this year, even though I came in behind them. I worked on my skating harder because of the competition, and even though the results weren't my best, it was still my best year ever for improving my skating and learning, and that's what is important.

I do at least partially choreograph some of my programs, especially the most recent ones I have had. Its a lot of fun--my coach and I have similar tastes and ideas, so we blend well together.

Are you involved in a skating club/team, and if so, how?

skatepixie

On the Ice
nope. Im too basic for that. You mention ALL the reasons Im not in ISI! Cept that there is no comps in my area.....

Do you mind competeing against, taking lessons and/or sharing ice with skaters of diffrent ages? I dont. some little boys are a pain but ALL the girls are nice. And the older skaters are nice too.Except one man who messes up the ice in the center with his hockey blades....:mad:

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I've never had the experience of competing against other age groups (Yazmeen: darn it! I wanted to beat those kindergarteners... lol :)), but in my Basic Skills class I was in the adult class which consisted of me, my friend, a 45ish man, and a mom in her 30s - we shared the ice for an hour with 50-60 kids from toddler age to 10 or 11 year olds. It wasn't TOO bad; we usually carved out a little corner for ourselves. I practice during public sessions so I share the ice with all types of people. I like seeing skaters at different experience levels, so it's no problem for me. I just get annoyed when young "hockey boys" zigzag around me and generally make themselves pests. But it's still tolerable :)

Where do you see your skating in five years?

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I see me landing my first triple jump :) I wish! haha!

If you could have one famous skater be your coach for a day, who would it be?