Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this spin?

I should be studying!

0 Not allowed!

What is this spin?

Alexa Nazarko says that she can do the "rifle" spin. . . or I think that's what she means. What is that? I don't remember Uncle Dick ever using that term. Where's Seanibu's definition list hiding, anyway?

http://www.usfsa.org/Magazine.asp?id=56&issue=40110

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    your guess is as good as mine. So many of these new spins are called diffrent things by diffrent skaters and coaches. One rink it's called a y, one a split spin, on a 'sasha' spin.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I think the rifle spin is an upright spin where the skater holds his/her free leg forward, perpendicular to the ice, like they were holding a rifle to shoot. Wikipedia lists this as a "shotgun spin," describing it as "a variation of the upright front-grab spins in which the free leg is held in a horizontal position."

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico

0 Not allowed!
    They way I am picturing this in my mind...this sounds really...well how do I say it...ugly???

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    They way I am picturing this in my mind...this sounds really...well how do I say it...ugly???
    That pretty much describes almost every spin variation!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    actually it's not that ugly... i think that sasha did them a few times. iti's like a regualr sit except your put your head to your knee. not bad.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    actually it's not that ugly... i think that sasha did them a few times. iti's like a regualr sit except your put your head to your knee. not bad.
    I thought the rifle spin was a variation of the upright spin... kind of like spinning on your right foot with you upper body perpensidular to the ice but your left leg parallel to it... I don't mind the sit spin version

Kypma

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of the sitspin with the head/torso down being called a rifle spin. I have heard it called a cannonball spin. (Some people refer to a pancake spin as a cannonball spin, but IMO that's not correct. Linda Fratianne used to do a cannonball spin, and it was definitely a sitspin with leg extended straight out and head/torso down.)

0 Not allowed!
    What about the spin where the skater bends down towards the ice and grabs their spinning foot - does anyone know what that is called. Emmanuel Sandhu used to do it. I've heard it being called a "butt spin" - but surely there is another name for it?

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    ^My coach refers to it as the spin Emanual does or just shows what she wants and says touch your toes. I don't think it has a name as it's relativly new. Maybe someone should ask Emanual, he invented it right? If not he's the one who started the current trend, he should give it a name.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceskfan View Post
    What about the spin where the skater bends down towards the ice and grabs their spinning foot - does anyone know what that is called. Emmanuel Sandhu used to do it. I've heard it being called a "butt spin" - but surely there is another name for it?
    I've heard it referred to as the "Come and Get It" spin

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I've heard it referred to as the "Come and Get It" spin

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard it called a rifle spin, but that makes total sense. It's a cannonball spin with the skating leg in an upright position instead of a sit position. Daisuke Takahashi does it this season but his free leg isn't perfectly parallel to the ice so it doesn't look that good (and I agree that it's not really that attractive to begin with).

I've heard Emanuel Sandhu's spin--with straight skating leg and free leg, torso down and butt in the air--most commonly referred to as the "A" spin due to its shape (or possibly in honor of the body part being put on display? LOL!)

0 Not allowed!
    A riffle spin in when you start out in a sit spin, then you grab your boot bringing it up into a riffle position while all the time spinning
    the closer to thebody the faster the spin.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icegrl7 View Post
    A riffle spin in when you start out in a sit spin, then you grab your boot bringing it up into a riffle position while all the time spinning
    the closer to thebody the faster the spin.
    But once the foot is above the shoulder it becomes a "Y" spin, and once the free leg is vertical, it's an "I" spin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast