What is this spin? | Golden Skate

What is this spin?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
your guess is as good as mine. So many of these new spins are called diffrent things by diffrent skaters and coaches. One rink it's called a y, one a split spin, on a 'sasha' spin.

daisies

Rinkside
I think the rifle spin is an upright spin where the skater holds his/her free leg forward, perpendicular to the ice, like they were holding a rifle to shoot. Wikipedia lists this as a "shotgun spin," describing it as "a variation of the upright front-grab spins in which the free leg is held in a horizontal position."

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
actually it's not that ugly... i think that sasha did them a few times. iti's like a regualr sit except your put your head to your knee. not bad.

Kypma

Final Flight
actually it's not that ugly... i think that sasha did them a few times. iti's like a regualr sit except your put your head to your knee. not bad.

I thought the rifle spin was a variation of the upright spin... kind of like spinning on your right foot with you upper body perpensidular to the ice but your left leg parallel to it... I don't mind the sit spin version ;)

Kypma

daisies

Rinkside
I've never heard of the sitspin with the head/torso down being called a rifle spin. I have heard it called a cannonball spin. (Some people refer to a pancake spin as a cannonball spin, but IMO that's not correct. Linda Fratianne used to do a cannonball spin, and it was definitely a sitspin with leg extended straight out and head/torso down.)

iceskfan

Spectator
What about the spin where the skater bends down towards the ice and grabs their spinning foot - does anyone know what that is called. Emmanuel Sandhu used to do it. I've heard it being called a "butt spin" - but surely there is another name for it?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
^My coach refers to it as the spin Emanual does or just shows what she wants and says touch your toes. I don't think it has a name as it's relativly new. Maybe someone should ask Emanual, he invented it right? If not he's the one who started the current trend, he should give it a name.

Ben

Rinkside
What about the spin where the skater bends down towards the ice and grabs their spinning foot - does anyone know what that is called. Emmanuel Sandhu used to do it. I've heard it being called a "butt spin" - but surely there is another name for it?

I've heard it referred to as the "Come and Get It" spin

vlaurend

Final Flight
I've never heard it called a rifle spin, but that makes total sense. It's a cannonball spin with the skating leg in an upright position instead of a sit position. Daisuke Takahashi does it this season but his free leg isn't perfectly parallel to the ice so it doesn't look that good (and I agree that it's not really that attractive to begin with).

I've heard Emanuel Sandhu's spin--with straight skating leg and free leg, torso down and butt in the air--most commonly referred to as the "A" spin due to its shape (or possibly in honor of the body part being put on display? LOL!)

icegrl7

Spectator
A riffle spin in when you start out in a sit spin, then you grab your boot bringing it up into a riffle position while all the time spinning
the closer to thebody the faster the spin.

vlaurend

Final Flight
A riffle spin in when you start out in a sit spin, then you grab your boot bringing it up into a riffle position while all the time spinning

But once the foot is above the shoulder it becomes a "Y" spin, and once the free leg is vertical, it's an "I" spin.

mskater93

Record Breaker

What it sounds like you are describing is what is normally called a cannonball spin if you remain in a sitting position.

bruises

Rinkside
I've never heard it called a rifle spin, but that makes total sense. It's a cannonball spin with the skating leg in an upright position instead of a sit position. Daisuke Takahashi does it this season but his free leg isn't perfectly parallel to the ice so it doesn't look that good (and I agree that it's not really that attractive to begin with).

I've heard Emanuel Sandhu's spin--with straight skating leg and free leg, torso down and butt in the air--most commonly referred to as the "A" spin due to its shape (or possibly in honor of the body part being put on display? LOL!)

My coach call it a bell spin.