Why is ... your favorite skater? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why is ... your favorite skater?

Lipinskifan19

Rinkside
I was drawn into skating b/c of Tara- her energetic, joyful skating always puts a smile on my face. I love her cheerful and sunny personality and she's so nice and down to earth.

Angela- I think she's the most graceful and elegant skater I've ever seen. I became a fan after seeing her beautiful "Sleeping Beauty" performance. Every performance I've seen after that I was mesmorized by her flowing grace and the way she seems to float over the ice. She really does move like liquid gold! LOL

Sasha- when she is on, she's ON. She amazes me at times w/ her fire.

Sarah- I love this girl, just adore her. I feel like I've watched her grow up, from that awkward 12 yr. old into the beautiful young lady she's become. Her skating gets more mature and polished every year I see her and I love her down to earth attittude. You go Sarah! :)

Timmy- b/c he's got that smile!!! hahahaha!!

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
It is hard to choose. But my favorite is Michelle, she is so amazing, she has great positions and is the most elegant skater I have ever seen and grace on the ice, the most!! Men? I love johnny wier his style is so unique.

CB1AB2

Medalist
Todd Eldredge==he is one class act=he always tried to give a performance his best =he never made excuses when he didn't skate good=I think that he is a role model that younger skaters can and should look up to=sure maybe he can't pull off a quad or two or three but there is more to a good program than just the jumps==and Todd put his heart and soul into his programs.

cb

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Apologies in advance: I've been watching skating for nearly 40 years, so this is going to be long.

John Curry: For elegance, line, perfect technique, and encorporating dance vocabulary into skating vocabulary. Don Q in 1976 was only the beginning for Curry.

Michelle Kwan: For grace, musicality, and control. Not a superfluous movement in her performances.

Gary Beacom: For unsurpassed creativity and curiosity, with presence and virility.

Janet Lynn: For grace, speed, fluidity, musicality, and ease over the surface of the ice.

Kurt Browning: For versatility, being a full-body skater, and amazing footwork.

Protopopovs: For unsurpassed one-ness, grace, edges, and elegance.

Gordeeva/Grinkov: For speed, grace, transitions, control, and synchronicity.

Mishkutienok/Dmietriev: For the tension they kept throughout each program, skating as equals.

Denise Biellman: For the strength and amplitude of her skating and great technique.

Usova/Zhulin: Because she was the balance between emotion and restraint and she had the most beautiful, deep edges of any skater I've ever seen. For skating "Summertime" to perfection (91 or 92).

Klimova/Ponomorenko: For line, passion, and one-ness.

Denkova/Staviyski: For skating with equal strength, authority, energy, and blades nearly on top of one another. In person, I've never seen any other dance team that affected me as viscerally.

Berezhaia and Rodnina: Neither were part of my favorite pairs, but Berezhnaia's speed and line and Rodnina's speed, control, and athleticism make them among my favorite skaters.

The creative skaters I would pay to see if they were the only one on a roster I recognized, regardless of their competitive history: Rakhama/Kokko, Kristina Czabo, Abitbol/Bernadis, Ilia Klimkin, Blumberg/Siebert, Katherine Healy.

Among the current skaters (other than Kwan):

The ladies with edges, flow basic skating skills, and booming jumps: Sebestyen and Volchkova.

The ladies with edges, blow, basic skating skills, and inconsistent jumps: Poykio, Drei, Kettunen.

Carolina Kostner: For resurrecting Janet Lynn's freedom and flow across the ice. Despite the flaws in her long program, for doing three turns into the loop, as many turns and twizzles as most ice dancers, and four spirals with change of edge, leg direction, and/or direction, one of which was a straight leg ronde de jamb without dropping her leg as she moved it from front to back. This is hard enough to do with a ballet slipper or pointe shoe, and she had the strength to do it with the weight of a skating boot, on a moving edge.

Ifs: Plushenko, if all of his programs are like St. Peterburg 300 -- no cha chas or breaks in front of the judges and musical end to end -- or with the creativity of Sex Bomb or this year's exhibition program. I love that he shows range, sense of humor, and the self confidence not to have to play the heroic character.

Totmianina/Marinin, if they would put together a long program with the speed, flow, and musicality of this year's Peer Gynt or the form-fitting sultriness of their exhibition blues number. I love her stunning jumps, throws, and all-around technique.

Belbin/Agosto: If they can keep up the forward momentum and the sense of joy in their movements.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
Oh, I love getting a chance to do this. I'll try not to waste too much of your time.

Sasha Cohen is my favorite skater because when she's on the ice, I can't take my eyes off of her. When she falls, my heart breaks, when she succeeds, it's breathtaking. She pulls you into her programs and doesn't let you go. Sure, I love her flexibility, and no one spins quite like she does, but that isn't the reason she's my favorite. Some people have that spark, that fire, that sets them apart from the other skaters. In my personal opinion, there aren't any female skaters today other than Sasha that have that ability to draw you in. I enjoy other skaters, but I truly CARE about what happens to Sasha. She's my favorite. I've never seen anything quite like her in all of the years I've watched skating.

Kat

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Michelle Kwan- Because of the heart she puts in to her skating, and because she's so gracious and kind.

Alexei Yagudin- Because he has so much passion for skasting, and becuase of his amazing footwork, and becuase he's a fighter.

Shen and Zhao- because of their hard work and dedication, when everyone criticized their presentation, they silenced their critics with their amazinf LP at the 2003 worlds.

Lang and Tchernyshev- Because they brought back classical ice dance to the U.S. with their elegant lines and balletic moves. The passion they create on the ice with eacth other is truly amazing.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I like a lot of skaters, but I love Michelle Kwan most because I feel like I've watched her grow up, and it's been such a pleasure.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
RE:Favorite skater

My favorite skater is Michelle Kwan. Michelle has inspired me by her courage, grace and overall presence on and off the ice. In defeat she is gracious, kind and shows great sportsmanship. Even with the pain of not winning, she is a true Champion. I am a big fan of Michelle Kwan and proud to be so.

diamond:)