Need A way to pass time after surgery | Golden Skate

Need A way to pass time after surgery

remedy1107

Spectator
haven't posted here in a while, but after my recent surgery I am in need of some advice. I needed spinal fusion, and I am not able to skate for 6 months to a year! It has only been 2 months and I am still in pain and already losing my mind! I want to skate so badly and it pains me that I might not be as good anymore or as flexible because of this surgery. I did not have a choice but to have it, but do you guys have any ideas about how I can keep myself busy for the next few months?

heyang

Record Breaker
I hope your recovery goes well. I'm not sure of your limitations. I recall that other skaters have continued to do strength training excercises to maintain themselves. Hongo Bo continued to work on his upper body strength while recovering from achilles surgery. Meno and Sands worked on basic skating technique when they were both recovering from wrist injuries.

I'm not sure where your other interest lie, but costume design, search for different types of music and choreograph. Read up on scoring system. Watch old tapes for inspiration.

Cultivate non-skating related interests....

laceup

On the Ice
I sure wish you a speedy recovery.

heyand offered some great skating related things to do to make your recoup. time worthwhile. I'm sure there are some interesting skating books to read as well. I can't think of the name of it, but I really enjoyed the one that covered the Salt Lake Oly. it was about the Russians, Canadians and Chinese teams that medaled.

It may sound silly, but knitting is great. You wouldn't have to move too much but would keep your arms moving a bit. You could make yourself a blanket or something but I'd start with a scarf first!!!

megsk8z

On the Ice
I wish you such a quick recovery that you won't have to do too many of these suggestions:
Read (anything at all, even that "trashy" book everyone is talking about)
Listen to a lot of music and skate in your head.
Watch some TV, but not any daytime TV as that stuff is a really good reason to have a job.

Watch movies.

Get some bird feeders and feed the birds.

I hope you consider a couple of these. Feel better soon!

dutchherder

Final Flight
1. Learn to crochet! There are a lot of good "learn to crochet" books out there that take it in supertinybabysteps. You can actually make something pretty quickly.

2. Read John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany because everyone should.

3. Look up the American Film Institute's Top 100 Films of All Time. Sign up for Netflix. Watch all 100. You might find cool ideas for music/programs from some of them, and you'll be more culturally literate!

4. Write letters. No one does this anymore, and it's a shame. Tell people how important they are to you. They'll keep that letter forever.

5. Learn calligraphy. There are kits that have everything you need, and teach you how to do it.

6. Get a New York Times crossword puzzle book. Watch the documentary Wordplay for inspiration while you work them.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Lots of great ideas here. Can you swim? I found water walking very helpful after surgery. Just moving around in the water is very theraputic and helps one heal faster. Also go for walks when the weather improves - it's great for the spirit and the mind as well as the body. I hope you will be able to return to the ice when you are ready. Take care!