Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Question about Elvis

This is guy who was a top contender for gold medals for quite some time (and deservedly). He left the amateur sport (whatever that means) and after a stint as a 'pro' skater (whatever that means), he is returning to skate again (after 6 years) as an eligible. I believe all this is correct.

If he understands what he is doing and the Canadian Federation has no objection, then let it be!

How he will be judged in competition remains to be seen. I think the judges will be in for a difficult time if they hold him up. There are many talented young men who want the chance for a break through. I presume the judges at the Canadian Nats are all Canadians. Am I correct?

(As far as MK is concerned, she hasn't left yet, but that's another topic.)

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 08-06-2003 at 09:04 AM.

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    [B]This is guy who was a top contender for gold medals for quite some time (and deservedly). He left the amateur sport (whatever that means) and after a stint as a 'pro' skater (whatever that means), he is returning to skate again (after 6 years) as an eligible. I believe all this is correct.[B]
    I'm not sure what you mean by the "after 6 years" but if you mean Elvis' absence from eligible competition, he skated the 2001-2002 season. He was at SLC. He was gone for 1 year.

I wouldn't worry about Elvis' placement at Canadians. The Canadian judges have been in this situation before. They thought nothing of placing a returning Josée Chouinard 2nd after an unknown skater out of Barrie in '96, even though Josée went on to place third in the GPF that year, and Jennifer Robinson has still not achieved anything close in World rankings.

Anyhoo, word is that Elvis is still having trouble with his 3axel, and not landing quads. I'll find out how he's doing next Saturday when I watch him compete in Thornhill. Should be interesting.

Last edited by Norlite; 08-06-2003 at 11:24 AM.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Whatever it's going to happen will happen. I just hope the judging will be nothing but fair. Somehow I just can't imagine Elvis skating at the Canadian nationals and not being given a spot on the world team no matter how he skates.
    Last edited by shine; 08-06-2003 at 06:32 PM.

Ooops, Norlight - He did skate at SLC, so he hasn't been that long away from competitive skating.

He's kind of THE CANADIAN ICON of single figure skating. If he is not in shape for competition, why not?, and as others wonder, will he be held up however he skates?

We can only wonder. We don't know. Let the man skate and let's see how he does and how he is judged.

Joe

Medalist

Elvis has not left the building

Well, Elvis is up for the game, so be it. He doesn't have a classical skater style, nor is he all the avant garde. Elvis is a driven man with a passion for skating. The mens field needs a little passion. Viva la Elvis.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Uh, passion?

Rinkside
    Just to let you know, Elvis did not compete at Thornhill after all.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Originally posted by shine
    Whatever it's going to happen will happen. I just hope the judging will be nothing but fair. Somehow I just can't imagine Elvis skating at the Canadian nationals and not being given a spot on the world team no matter how he skates.
    Shine, I know you won't like it, but I totally agree!

Anke
    Last edited by Germanice; 08-20-2003 at 07:13 AM.

On the Ice
    When I heard that Elvis had reinstated, my first thought was "are you kidding me?" This doesn't mean I'm not a fan, but it was really time for him to "hang it up" after the Olympics. I admire his passion for competition, but does he really think he can be a contender at Worlds this year?? I hope he skates well, and the judging is fair, of course, and if both of those things happen and he ends up with a medal, then good for him!

However, like someone else said on this thread, he hasn't made any advances with his technical ability in years, and also his presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

He totally was robbed of the gold in 94 by the way!

Tripping on the Podium
    Well that event was the 13-18th of August. Right in the midst of the big poweroutage. The results are posted at

http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...kate/index.htm

It appears that the event did not finish and that Elvis and Fedor A did not skate. The free programs were not completed and it looks the short events were truncated. Anyone have any other info? or interpretations?

The list posted has Honda, Buttle and Ferreria, in that order.

Jen R was doing OK #1 in the ladies.

Wonder what they will do now.

Yep It's me!
    The only skates that were lost in the power outage were 4 flights of pre-novice ladies, long program. All other events went on as planned, including NACS.

No Elvis didn't compete, although he was around, and in the building at times. There were various rumours going around as to why. he wasn't ready, he had boot troubles, he was sick whatever, we heard it all!

I left town early Sunday, and was quite busy with other events so I never really got a chance to get back to Mariposa and find out the real reason.

Fedor has been known to skip this event before. :\
    Last edited by Norlite; 08-25-2003 at 06:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3