Question about Elvis | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question about Elvis

heyang

Record Breaker
This is almost the same conversation last year about 'Should MK retire?' Most people felt that she had every right to compete and that she was not displacing anyone if she won fairly. Same can be said for Elvis - if he wants to compete and isn't given a free ride, no harm done. If he wins fairly, he deserves it and if someone outskates him and Elvis loses, that's ok too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes but Michelle hasn't been tenth in the world in HOW long??? It was just 2 seasons ago that Elvis BARELY made top ten and I still think that was due to lifetime achievement marks...

jmho

chania36

On the Ice
I believe that if someone can surprise us with a uge come back, Elvis is the one, you never know what to expect, he is a wonderful skater, very talented, he was the to achieve the quad-triple first in competition, now the quad is a must, I think and believe that if Elvis is coming back to elligible competition, (since he had kept is elligibility when turning pro), it must be because he know that he can deliver. Just do not count him out yet, he may very well surprise us. I always thought that he should have won the gold medal in 94 olympics. If he can produce good results, why not try it??? and if he is the best at Canadians well he sure will deserve the gold medal. If he does not skate well, I do not think that they will hand him the gold on medal on a platter. We shall see!!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"yes but Michelle hasn't been tenth in the world in HOW long???"

Never.

8th in 94

4th in 95

No lower than second ever since.

How one can compare the current world champ with someone who hasn't taken gold in 6 years is beyond me. Even Todd made the podium at his last worlds.

I also think that the Elvis argument and the Sandu/Buttle argument are two different things. Sandu being a flake doesn't prevent Elvis from being a has been, etc...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
berthes ghost:

Has Michelle ever had an injury to the extent that Elvis had and and fought all the way through the injury to remain at the top? I think Elvis deserves credit for his courage as well as his determination.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
shine:

Actually, whether he has contribute...levant at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Well, your opinion is your opinion, but with all due respect to Elvis he has contributed a lot to Skate Canada and skating as a whole. I don't know if you skate or not, but among figure skaters there is a thing called "respect" and all skaters respect past champions for what they have given to the sport. Elvis "paid" his dues. Even when he was injured he always came through. He could be counted on.

I never underestimate him. Elvis is one of the best competitors I have ever seen. He is focussed and skates with true conviction.

I am looking forward to seeing him.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"berthes ghost:

Has Michelle ever had an injury to the extent that Elvis had and and fought all the way through the injury to remain at the top?"

Huh?

After his 98 groin injury, Elvis never won another worlds, often not even coming close to the podium.

I stand by my point: MK and Elvis are apples and oranges. One is still at the top of her game: the current world champ, uninjured and hasn't finished lower than 2nd in 8 years and never left the sport. The other hasn't been up to his usual standard in years, had a major injury and has dropped dramatically in the standings not having won a world title in 6 years and had retired. I fail to see any comparison.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ladskater said:
shine:

Actually, whether he has contribute...levant at this point as far as I'm concerned.

Well, your opinion is your opinion, but with all due respect to Elvis he has contributed a lot to Skate Canada and skating as a whole. I don't know if you skate or not, but among figure skaters there is a thing called "respect" and all skaters respect past champions for what they have given to the sport. Elvis "paid" his dues. Even when he was injured he always came through. He could be counted on.

I would say that concerning the coming competitions, relevant is what Elvis is able to perform on the ice today, and not what he has done in past. Naturally Elvis deserves respect for his past achievements, but I sure hope that a respect towards those past achievements will not influnce his scores today. Anyway, it will be very interesting for skating fans to hear about his first competition!

Marjaana

This is guy who was a top contender for gold medals for quite some time (and deservedly). He left the amateur sport (whatever that means) and after a stint as a 'pro' skater (whatever that means), he is returning to skate again (after 6 years) as an eligible. I believe all this is correct.

If he understands what he is doing and the Canadian Federation has no objection, then let it be!

How he will be judged in competition remains to be seen. I think the judges will be in for a difficult time if they hold him up. There are many talented young men who want the chance for a break through. I presume the judges at the Canadian Nats are all Canadians. Am I correct?

(As far as MK is concerned, she hasn't left yet, but that's another topic.)

Joe

Last edited:

Norlite

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
This is guy who was a top contender for gold medals for quite some time (and deservedly). He left the amateur sport (whatever that means) and after a stint as a 'pro' skater (whatever that means), he is returning to skate again (after 6 years) as an eligible. I believe all this is correct.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "after 6 years" but if you mean Elvis' absence from eligible competition, he skated the 2001-2002 season. He was at SLC. He was gone for 1 year.

I wouldn't worry about Elvis' placement at Canadians. The Canadian judges have been in this situation before. They thought nothing of placing a returning Josée Chouinard 2nd after an unknown skater out of Barrie in '96, even though Josée went on to place third in the GPF that year, and Jennifer Robinson has still not achieved anything close in World rankings.

Anyhoo, word is that Elvis is still having trouble with his 3axel, and not landing quads. I'll find out how he's doing next Saturday when I watch him compete in Thornhill. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Whatever it's going to happen will happen. I just hope the judging will be nothing but fair. Somehow I just can't imagine Elvis skating at the Canadian nationals and not being given a spot on the world team no matter how he skates.

Last edited:
Ooops, Norlight - He did skate at SLC, so he hasn't been that long away from competitive skating.

He's kind of THE CANADIAN ICON of single figure skating. If he is not in shape for competition, why not?, and as others wonder, will he be held up however he skates?

We can only wonder. We don't know. Let the man skate and let's see how he does and how he is judged.

Joe

April

Rinkside
Elvis has not left the building

Well, Elvis is up for the game, so be it. He doesn't have a classical skater style, nor is he all the avant garde. Elvis is a driven man with a passion for skating. The mens field needs a little passion. Viva la Elvis.

Germanice

On the Ice
shine said:
Whatever it's going to happen will happen. I just hope the judging will be nothing but fair. Somehow I just can't imagine Elvis skating at the Canadian nationals and not being given a spot on the world team no matter how he skates.

Shine, I know you won't like it, but I totally agree! ;)

Anke

Last edited:

Kathleen

Rinkside
When I heard that Elvis had reinstated, my first thought was "are you kidding me?" This doesn't mean I'm not a fan, but it was really time for him to "hang it up" after the Olympics. I admire his passion for competition, but does he really think he can be a contender at Worlds this year?? I hope he skates well, and the judging is fair, of course, and if both of those things happen and he ends up with a medal, then good for him!

However, like someone else said on this thread, he hasn't made any advances with his technical ability in years, and also his presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

He totally was robbed of the gold in 94 by the way!

southwest wind

Rinkside
Well that event was the 13-18th of August. Right in the midst of the big poweroutage. The results are posted at

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/2003 Summer Skate/index.htm

It appears that the event did not finish and that Elvis and Fedor A did not skate. The free programs were not completed and it looks the short events were truncated. Anyone have any other info? or interpretations?

The list posted has Honda, Buttle and Ferreria, in that order.

Jen R was doing OK #1 in the ladies.

Wonder what they will do now.

:eek: