Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant Competitive Programs

Hi, Sidejehoka, how about a translation of your signature for us language-challenged folks? I got as far as "The dear God asked me once in a dream..." before my school German gave out, LOL.

Mathman

Rinkside
    Hi Mathman!

I'm afraid, I've never ever cut a good figure translating from German into English, but I'll try my best. Hope you'll like it:

The dear God asked me once in a dream: Do you like my world? Then I will give it to you.
    Since then it has been mine, and since then I have been immensely busy.

Doesn't sound that bad, does it?:D

I've got the quote from one of her essays, it was published under the title "Konzert" by Suhrkamp - perhaps there's also a decent translation of the whole book into English, but I don't know exactly.

Thanks, Sidejehoka. That is a beautiful and profound thought.

Now if I just knew what "Sidejehoka" meant I'd be all set.

Mathman

Rogue Leader
    My favourites:

2000 Worlds Freedance: A&P hada great program with Carmina Burana, and they got to win in front of a hometown crowd. I also loved D&V's Spente le Stelle, and FP&M had a good program that year.

2003 LP SHen&Zhao-that was just wonderful

2002 Olympics-Alexei throughout the event

1992-K&Ps free dance

1991-M&D LP

1996 US Nats-Rudy Galindo was fantastic

2003 US Nats-Michelle was lovely

1988 I still get chills thinking of the battle of the Brians.

Rinkside
    Hi again Mathman!

Just have a look at your private messages.

There are so many programs to choose from.

In recent history. From the mid 90's up

Michelles so Many wonderful performances:
    Worlds 1996 LP this was the start of it all
    Both 1998's Nationals & Worlds SP& LP were unbeatable the way she skated it. She skated them both so free & light.

Her East of Eden Skate at the Pro/Am Lp. Beautiful Music & the best program to go along with that skate.

& Last & Maybe the best only because. So many Critics & anit Michelle fans were saying that she should retire & she was to old.

2003: Again Both Nationals & worlds. Both SP & LP. She was suppose to be chasing everyone else. & would be lucky to get 3rd place. But, Michelle came to play. Once she stepped unto the ice. Everyone again was chasing her.

Alexei: He too like michelle has so many to count.

Lawrence of Arabia program. Just wonderful 1997( ?) Worlds

Broken Arrow. I loved this program. It was so intense & deep. That they judges told he & TT that they should change it. It was a very dark program.

The Entire Year of 2002.
    The GWG, was his wakeup call. After that he was unstoppable.
    WINTER & MINTIM were unbeatable when skated clean. Which he did. Though, for me. His WORLDS Performance was Better than the Olympics. Skated More free.

WINTER: that program. CLASSIC & Perfect.

Rudy G: 1998(?) Nationals. Just wonderful.

Todd E: Worlds I think 1997. I always love his LP ( the Grey & Blue) the Civil War theme. He fell on his 1st 3 axel But came back & put a 2nd at the END of his program. Very gusty & that helped him win the Worlds

Kristie Y: 1992 Olympic Performance

Oksana B: 1994 SP Olympics. As with Alexei. Her Swan program was just Classic . A beautiful Progam.

G&G: As with Alexei & Michelle. they too have to many to county

Custom Title
    Michelles so Many wonderful performances:
    Worlds 1996 LP this was the start of it all
    Both 1998's Nationals & Worlds SP& LP were unbeatable the way she skated it. She skated them both so free & light.

Her East of Eden Skate at the Pro/Am Lp. Beautiful Music & the best program to go along with that skate.

& Last & Maybe the best only because. So many Critics & anit Michelle fans were saying that she should retire & she was to old.

2003: Again Both Nationals & worlds. Both SP & LP. She was suppose to be chasing everyone else. & would be lucky to get 3rd place. But, Michelle came to play. Once she stepped unto the ice. Everyone again was chasing her.

Alexei: He too like michelle has so many to count.

Lawrence of Arabia program. Just wonderful 1997( ?) Worlds

Broken Arrow. I loved this program. It was so intense & deep. That they judges told he & TT that they should change it. It was a very dark program.

The Entire Year of 2002.
    The GWG, was his wakeup call. After that he was unstoppable.
    WINTER & MINTIM were unbeatable when skated clean. Which he did. Though, for me. His WORLDS Performance was Better than the Olympics. Skated More free.

WINTER: that program. CLASSIC & Perfect.
    All my favorate too. Plus Alexie's Gladiator. The one he performed with two knives, Paul W. was an commentator?, the program may be not technically fully loaded, but he skated flawless.

I think the whole business of brilliance in competitive or other programs is simply beautiful skating. Way back when figure "free" skating was evolving, the public was in awe of the graceful flow over the ice of the figure skater. I haven't lost that in modern figure skating, in fact, I demand it.

Tricks (spins and jumps) enhance the programs but they can not replace the flow of edges to the music which the skater brings forth to the public in performance.

In modern figure skating, I believe a few triples are more than enough; beautiful camels and sitzspins (that go all the way down) together with fabulous scratch spin will do it for brilliance.

So bring on the 3x3s, quads and cirque du soleil spins and get more points from me but if there ain't no flow with edges, aint no musicality, ain't no personal style, there ain't no figure skater.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    John Curry's glorious long program at the 1976 Winter Olympics, in which he won the gold medal, was, in my opinion, one of the finest competitive programs ever skated by a male skater. Sure, John landed "only" three triples - which was the standard triple jump count in that era - and each was textbook perfect. John's choregraphy, carriage, spins, etc., were exquisite. His style was perfect - smooth, strong, graceful, very musical.

What a skater!! He is surely missed from the skating world today.

How can anyone nitpick John Curry? Impossible! Arguably the greatest skater ever male or female.

Joe

Originally posted by Joesitz
    I think the whole business of brilliance in competitive or other programs is simply beautiful skating. Way back when figure "free" skating was evolving, the public was in awe of the graceful flow over the ice of the figure skater. I haven't lost that in modern figure skating, in fact, I demand it.

Tricks (spins and jumps) enhance the programs but they can not replace the flow of edges to the music which the skater brings forth to the public in performance.

In modern figure skating, I believe a few triples are more than enough; beautiful camels and sitzspins (that go all the way down) together with fabulous scratch spin will do it for brilliance.

So bring on the 3x3s, quads and cirque du soleil spins and get more points from me but if there ain't no flow with edges, aint no musicality, ain't no personal style, there ain't no figure skater.

Joe

Here Here. You win 1st prize. I couldn't agree more. I too myself would love to see less jumping & more thought put into being more artistic on the ice without trying to go over the top. Frankly, I belive that that when skaters put more into their jumping it is only because, they have little to offer on the artistic side. They lack the passion to bring to go with their music. But, this is not the skaters fault. It is is their coaches & the people that they work with. Just look at this past season. All the injuries. this has to do with everyone trying to push the envelope when it comes to jumping.

Jumps are great. But, I would be happy with a program with 4 or 5 triple jumps but, what really holds me is what the skater can bring out of his/her program. & How, they bring the audience onto the ice with them

How, they bring the audience onto the ice with them
    Panther, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Brilliant to me would be when a skater's "in the zone". That means, they're very good technically and artistically, of course, but there's something special about their performance that just lift you up from your seat, and takes your breath a-w-a-y. And for a moment you feel genuinely, blissfully happy. And it seems like they're happy like that, too -- and that comes from within them, but it's clear they also feed off the powerful energy of the audience.

Just two examples: Alexei's SP at 2001 Worlds and Michelle's LP at 2003 Nationals.

Custom Title
    Don't forget Michelle's 2000 World's LP TRV in which she was able to come from behind to win after coming in 3rd after the sp.

SkateFan4Life
    Joe,

I'm certainly not nitpicking John Curry, who I consider to be one of the all-time great skaters in figure skating history.

:D

Medalist
    Sasha Cohen / US Nationals 1991
    Are you sure this is what you meant? She was 7-years-old. I only ask because I'm curious what program you were reffering to.

Kat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast