Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Ice Castles"

Skating Soprano
    I think it would be possible more today than in the 70's because there are no figures now. On the other hand, triples seem to be the new figures.

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL! Cinderella on Ice's Avatar
    Someone asked about where Lynn-Holly Johnson is now. I believe she is still a full-time mom living in Southern California. There was a "Where Are They Now" article about her in people magazine from a few years back.

There also was this quote from a "where are they now" kind of website:

Lynn-Holly Johnson, who played ice skater Bibi Dahl in "For Your Eyes Only," said her home doesn't have a lot of acreage but it's fairly close to the beach. She lives near Newport Beach in a home with a Key West, Florida, flavor. And she said she prefers her current role of a mother to any Hollywood parts. She praised Roger Moore, the 007 in that movie, for all the joy he showed in his work. "James Bond works because it's an escape. It's a ride, and they're able to keep it going. The premiere (of 'For Your Eyes Only') was tremendous, meeting Prince Charles and Lady Diana; they weren't married yet. It was one of the highlights of my career."

She recalled how much fun she and Roger Moore had on the set, especially when Moore knew her parents were visiting. Moore and the crew cracked a lot of jokes during the scene when Bibi sneaked into 007's hotel room and his bed. Fortunately, 007 isn't one to sleep with a teenager, and he told her he would take her out for ice cream. (She was playing a teenager, but Johnson actually was 22 at the time.)

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    CINDER:
    Once again, you never cease to amaze me. She was such a sweet thing in in Ice Castles...I could never be that sweet, no matter how hard I would try.

And in the James Bond move I can still remeber hear blurting out, "CUBA?!?!?!?" when she found out that was where they were headed next.

What a fun topic!

Custom Woman

"Ice Castles"

My question is, Could an unknown supertalent come out of nowhere and win Nationals BLIND the way Lynn Holly Johnson's character did in "Ice Castles?"

Oksana and Tara were pretty hot, but could either of them beat Nancy or Michelle while they were blindfolded and Nancy and Michelle could see? That Lexi was one smokin' skater!

Seriously, a film professor I knew (now deceased) used to show "Ice Castles" in one of his freshman film courses. What???!!! you say, with so many truly great movies to survey? His rationale, in a nutshell, was that "Ice Castles" was a terrific example of how great natural acting, a talented art director, director of photography, naturalistic dialogue, and the right director can take the most ridiculous plot in the world and make the workings of the film transcend it, ie, unknown figure skater (Lexi) gets to the top; goes blind in an accident by skating at a reception,unbeknownst to anyone, to prove something to her boyfriend; boyfriend not only gets her on the ice again, but he gets her to where she wins Nationals while NOBODY knows she is actually blind until she stumbles over the flowers being thrown onto the ice. If that isn't a soap opera alien abduction anal probe moment, I don't know what is.

I think if you look at "Ice Castles" today and forget the superfast rise to stardom and the going blind part, you have the makings of a nice early '90s independent film.

But back to the question: I think perhaps when (if, lol) Michelle retires from competitive skating and the consistency of skaters is more mixed up again (unless another megaconsistent star like Michelle is 11 years old as we speak) then there might be a chance of a "Whoa! Where did s/he/they come from?!" (Could be a male, pairs, or ice dance couple.) I think the poster who said the Internet gets most of the hot names out there early is right, but for the media and the general non-Internet skating fan, a surprise could happen. I think it would be more likely, though, for someone who has been in the 5th to 10th spot to suddenly put it all together and jump to #1 than to come out of absolutely nowhere. It's basically the "A Star Is Born" story and with three versions of that movie over the last 60 or so years, and many variations thereof, ya gotta know people LOVE that story!
    Rgirl
    Hi all! Missed ya
    Did you notice there is a "Check message length" feature?
    Do you think Paula put that in just for me:D?

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Okay rgirl...you bring a very interesting point up...as my posse and I were watching this, we were commenting on exactly WHAT competition is was that she won...we thought that it was sectionals. I am pretty sure that the sign said one thing, and the announcer said something else. I think that one was the Broadmoor and the other said that is was St. Louis (on the banner in the rink)...we could not figure out why such big deal was being made about sectionals. So, what did I miss that it was Nationals? GREAT, not I am finding myself feeling the need to go put it in the dvde player....I have so much work to do today...maybe just for background ambiance?

Where is that dvd....

SkateFan4Life
    True...Tara Lipinski was totally packaged to win the Olympic gold medal. Her parents hired an agent for her at the age of 12, and she received major publicity when she won the Olympic Festival as a 12-year-old.

"Ice Castles" featured a young skater who was absolutely unknown outside of her local area. No established reputation.
    No agents. No media frenzy. Nothing.....then, bamm! -- she's "discovered", moves to Colorado Springs, and there are magazine cover articles, television interviews, all sorts of hype.

I do remember someone talking a number of years ago saying that Dorothy Hamill could skate in the dark. Evidently not many can.

Lightbulb HYPE, PUBLICITY

No matter how great the hype, if a skater doesn't deliver the goods when it counts, there will be no Olympic gold medal. I don't know anyone who has had more publicity than Michelle, and both times she has, unfortunately, failed to deliver the goods when it counted.

Fan for Life
    Cinder, that's so cool that you got to be a part of the Ice Castles hype, even in a small way!

There is a difference between paid hype and unpaid news items.

Regardless of which, the best skater that night wins the medal.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Lexie won the Midwestern Sectionals, and she injured herself while skating outdoors that every evening. While everybody else was celebrating at the post-competition party, she put on her skates and, while skating outdoors, tripped on one of the chairs and tables.

After she went blind, she resumed training, with Robby Benson acting as her "coach". She returned to Nationals and skated a great long program. The movie did not give us a definitive answer as to whether she won the title, but she very well may have. Then, as she was skating to center ice to take her bow, she tripped on some of the flowers that had been thrown onto the ice, and the crowd emitted a collected gasp, as they realized she was completely blind.

Truly a two-Kleenex box movie!

If I recall right I remember see Lynn-Holly Johnson at Knott's Berry Farm in around 1990 skating on their small stage rink in a holiday show.

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Ice Castles

I love "Ice Castles" & "The Cutting Edge"! I bought "Ice Castles" & want to buy "The Cutting Edge"! Cinder, that's so awesome that your mom knew Lynn-Holly Johnson!! And, dlkksk8fan, I love your avatar! When I can have an avatar here, I wanted to use one of Ekaterina Gordeeva!:D

Custom Title

Where are they now?

Someone wanted to know where Lynn-Holly is now. I don't know. But Robby Benson played a college professor on last season's TV drama American Dreams.
    Linny

Custom Title
    Originally posted by SkateFan4Life
    True...Tara Lipinski was totally packaged to win the Olympic gold medal. Her parents hired an agent for her at the age of 12, and she received major publicity when she won the Olympic Festival as a 12-year-old.

"Ice Castles" featured a young skater who was absolutely unknown outside of her local area. No established reputation.
    No agents. No media frenzy. Nothing.....then, bamm! -- she's "discovered", moves to Colorado Springs, and there are magazine cover articles, television interviews, all sorts of hype.
    In the movie, after she's discovered by the coach the coach uses her "in" with the television guy to get Lexi hyped. She created her own little drama. Back then skaters didn't have agents until they turned pro, there was no need, you were not allowed to make money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast