The most 'acrobatic' pair? | Golden Skate

The most 'acrobatic' pair?

Which pair is the most 'acrobatic'? I recommend Kawaguchi Smirnov...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hj5J1zL1Kk

Any other suggestion? Not necessarily the current active competitive pair ... :bow:
Glad you used the adjective 'acrobatic', and yes K&S in that number do a magnificent job of acrobatic skating. Their ballet-like posture adds to the overall presentation - worthy of a Cirque du Soleil without the trapezes.

They should do well this year.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
.... since we're not just talking about current competitive skaters I gotta give props to Brassuer and Eisler... say what you will about his off ice drama, they were one heck of a pair team

sillylionlove

Medalist
I agree Toni and I would have to say that Sale and Pelletier and Ina and Zimmerman are coming to that level now as well.

merrybari

Final Flight
.... since we're not just talking about current competitive skaters I gotta give props to Brassuer and Eisler... say what you will about his off ice drama, they were one heck of a pair team

I agree!!! So far I haven't seen anyone quite as daring as these two, tho' some are close.

laceup

On the Ice
Tuffy (Christine Hough) and Doug (Ladret) were amazing too. Some of their great pro show programs are on youtube :bow::clap::clap::clap::bow:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Another vote for B/E ... though also, as SillyLion said, I/Z are really upping their level of acrobatic type tricks.

ETA: Oh, remember Isabelle giving Lloyd that big wink before they began their Oly program (was it '92)? That clip was played over and over on the US network coverage ... and deservedly so. She put in gutsy performances despite an injury, was it shoulder? or ribs? Oh, and I remember a fluff piece about Lloyd showing him grocery shopping in rollerblades. He gave the impression he pretty much wore skates everywhere he could to practice.

Sorry, the mention of B/E just got me reminiscing!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

I agree. Also did you know that Brasseur and Eisler taught one of their classic moves to Ina and Zimmerman? It's the move where she flies over his head and he catches her. Brassure and Eisler perfected the move and were the only ones brave enough to do it - until they passed it on to Ina and Zimmerman.

Also what I loved about Isabelle and Lloyd was how fearless Isabelle was. She had complete confidence in Lloyd and Lloyd treated Isabelle like she was a china tea cup (Debbie Wilkes used to say). He would pick her up and gently put her down. They were a joy to watch.

laceup

On the Ice
Another vote for B/E ... though also, as SillyLion said, I/Z are really upping their level of acrobatic type tricks.

ETA: Oh, remember Isabelle giving Lloyd that big wink before they began their Oly program (was it '92)? That clip was played over and over on the US network coverage ... and deservedly so. She put in gutsy performances despite an injury, was it shoulder? or ribs? Oh, and I remember a fluff piece about Lloyd showing him grocery shopping in rollerblades. He gave the impression he pretty much wore skates everywhere he could to practice.

Sorry, the mention of B/E just got me reminiscing!

What an awesome team :agree:. They gave us years of enjoyment!!! At the Oly Isabelle's injury was broken ribs caused by their quad twist. Not too many of them around!!! Too bad he messed up his life so badly, but they were still awesome :clap::clap::clap:

Oh yes, B/E for the daring stuff, with Ina/Zimmerman following on their heels.

For the more "pretty" acrobatic adagio type moves and positions, I'd say Leonova/Khvalko.

Antilles

Medalist
B&E for sure. I also think the pro team of Leonova & Khvalko(sp?) are also very acrobatic and exciting to watch.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree. Also did you know that Brasseur and Eisler taught one of their classic moves to Ina and Zimmerman? It's the move where she flies over his head and he catches her. Brassure and Eisler perfected the move and were the only ones brave enough to do it - until they passed it on to Ina and Zimmerman.

description is a little vague... are you talking about their "Fly High and Say Good-bye" trick?

dlarry1

Rinkside
How about Hartshorn and Sweiding (sp)? They were doing almost all of these moves YEARS ago... Always loved her "leap of faith" especially...