Heat Wave Relief | Golden Skate

Heat Wave Relief

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
For all my complaining about our lack of sunshine here on the coast, I must admit it's a relief to finally have a break from a heat wave from the Interior! We are not used to it here! It's great to have the sun, but not the blistering heat! I could not sleep at night as my apt. was like an oven. I don't have air conditioning in my car either! It was sweltering driving in the heat! It's cooled off somewhat today - a nice breeze is blowing. I guess it is what we are accustomed to. Hopefully, the rain will hold off for a few more days! I still want the sun to hang around for awhile.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Makes going to the rink a nice change, I find...on the opposite spectrum, I work in a huge computer room and I layer all night. shirt, sweater, skating jacket. Then I leave work, and I peel the layers as I walk out the door. People look at me like I am crazy, but then they are not allowed in the basement and have no idea how cold it is to keep those computers cool. Ever thought about a kiddie pool and block ice? Hey, it could work! Our Arkansas heat can be really nasty.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
We just finished 12 straight days of 100 plus temperature (plus humidity.......I'm going to have to take a second job to pay for my power bill). Today it's suppose to be in the low 90's, a cold snap compared to the last two weeks..........winter, where art thou? 42

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hey Lad and 42,

Sorry y'all got all the heat. Not tooooo sorry, tho. I really like the fact that Cleveland has managed to get thru a good chunk of the dog days of summer without excessive heat. (I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed that this doesn't jinx it!!!)
We've also managed to avoid the flooding that occurred in adjoining counties. Living next to a Great Lake does have its advantages. As far as I'm concerned, 100 degrees is an obscenity. Heck, our temp was "only" 82 (with a heat index of 84) and I was sweating with all this humidity. All this humidity and everyone else got the rain and I have to water my tomato plants and flowers.
Not to worry, tho. I have been using my pool pass almost daily. With that and an exercise class, I have managed to lose a whole 5 lbs. Awful lot of work for a measly 5 lbs, I must say. Oh well......

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I have thought about getting a kiddie pool to lounge in. Well, I have thought about getting 2. I don't think that I could keep my Lab out of it, so he would need his own. Sweet, fuzzy, SHEDDING puppy that he is! (12.5 year old puppy)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's now cool again - at least on the coast! The heat wave is over.

heyang

Record Breaker
Our problem in the NY/NJ area has been RAIN. It's been 5 days of rain and the forecast is for another week of scattered thunderstorms. When I leave work, it feels like walking out into a steam bath. As a result, I've got issues:

1. Contractors can't put new siding on my house.
2. My mold allergies are going bonkers.
3. Between the side effects of the decongestants and the noise from the air conditioner/dehumidfier, I'm not sleeping well.
4. I can't play golf.

Boo Hoo.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Oh man, I am so tired of this heat. It was hotter here than in Dallas yesterday. And it has been so humid. Today was only 102 but we have had mostly from 102 to 111 lately and I'm sure it won't cool off until late late Sept. Thank goodness the local schools are all air conditioned. I was surprised my electric bill was only $338 today. It usually runs around $400 in the summer. You can't really shut off much in a multi level house. I am so glad we put in different units for the upstairs. Most of the houses around here just have one for the whole house. That would make the upstairs really warm and that's where the bed-
rooms are. I hardly run the furnace in the winter. Set it around 67 and don't even turn the upstairs one on. (Unless there are other people here.)

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
It's been between 70 and 75 in coastal SoCal. I know that is not as hot as some places, but I am ready for a cool down with some rain. Sunday I went to my mother-in-laws. She lives inland where the temp is usually 10 degrees warmer in the summer. Because we were coming by, she baked a pizza. She doesn't think to use a/c because her circulation is poor so she always feels cool. I love her to death but boy I couldn't wait to get into the a/c car.
Daniel and Little Lulu

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
We've had some relief from our heat wave.......about 5 straight days of temps under 90 degrees with no humidity. This allows me to keep the AC off for most of the day, turning in on at about 3: p.m. for a few hours............42