Network Replay - Old Radio Programs | Golden Skate

Network Replay - Old Radio Programs

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
For years, CKNW - thanks to Jack Cullen - has played Old Radio Programs, like "Allens' Alley, George Burns and Gracy Allen, X-Minus One, etc. Jack was great. Of course, he has long since retired, but CKNW is still carrying on the tradition. Everynight (pretty much) I am tuned in to hear one of the old shows! Any old time radio fans out there?

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Not sure what you mean by old radio...I am 33 and grew up with run of the mill radio...I have recently discovered (inthe last 2 years) NPR - National Public Radio, and I am addicted. I also love old music...big band, swing, etc. If one were to look for the old time radio, where could they go to find out what the stions offer? Besides surfing the radio for hours...

4dogknight

Final Flight
Ladskater:

I'm going to be showing my age here but yes, I do remember radio programs that featured more than the top 40.

Immediately popping into my mind are programs such as:
Bell Telephone Hour
The Shadow
Our Gal Sunday
Ma Perkins
Mr Keane Tracer of Lost Persons
Westinghouse Theater
Burns and Allen
Jack Benny
Grand Central Station
Bobby Benson of the B-Bar-B
Sky King
The Lone Ranger
Sargent Preston
Inner Sanctum
And my very favorite, Let's Pretend

And who can forget the seasonal presentation of the Cinnamon Bear!

Some of these programs are available on CD.

Lad you mention CKNW; where exactly does this station broadcast?

And Glacierskater, I too love NPR. Reminds me of Dragnet - no editorializing unless identified, just the facts.

4dk

Last edited:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
oh, for the good ole days...i never lived in them so much, but I appreciate them...my grandma has a magnet on her fridge:

"These are the good old days."

It took my years to figure out what it meant, as I had been reading it since I learned to read...:p

Oh, Four Dog, the Cinnamon Bear! the Cinnamon Bear!

I'll add to your list:

Dimension X
Have Gun Will Travel
Fibber McGee and Molly
Edgar Bergen and Charley McCarthy (but I think he moved his lips)

Mathman

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Fibber McGee & Molly and Ed Bergen and Charlie McCarthy were some of them. Also, Bob Hope had a radio show. I remember one of the naughty things he said was when he had a woman in the audience reach in his pocket for something and she said "I don't feel anything" and he said "reach a little farther and you'll feel nuts". I was a teenager and thought that was just terrible.
I also remember Art Linkletter had a radio show then too. I still love Big Band music. Absolute favorite. Did you know Merv Griffin was the piano player with Freddie Martin? I think it was Martin. I have such trouble remembering the names of songs. One of them was Ilia K's long program when he won the OGM. I still love that music. 1946 or 47 was Stardust and Ole Buttemilk Skies. Every morning on the way to work I stopped in the cafe for breakfast and they were playing Ole Buttermilk Skies. I always had to rent rooms so had to eat out all the time. Paid from $20 to $25 a month rent. There was a number of times I ran out of money and couldn't eat! I remember calling my parents once and they got really mad about it but they kept giving all my brothers and sisters money all the time.
I see it says check message length. Is there a rule on length?
(maybe I'm RGranny again):) I want my rollin smiley back!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
.........And what about the "soap operas"? I remember listening to "The Guiding Light" when it was on the radio........I am still a fan to this day! 42

4dogknight

Final Flight
Mathman: I still have my Silver Star Christmas ornament, albeit a little worse for wear. Amazon.com has the series on CD. There are also some other site that have the items.
http://members.aol.com/ehaendiges/logc1016.html
This site has an episode summary.

This topic got my husband and me wondering if we had listened to the same radio show when we were growing up. We each put together lists and compared them only to find out that our memories were not what they were back in the forties.
We spent this afternoon on the net looking up names of programs. Can't say this was the most fun we've had in a long time but it sure beat picking out wallpaper. (I know that hanging wallpaper is grounds for divorce in Illinois; I'll have to check on the Texas laws.)

Anyway here's our walk down memory lane and I have a correction to my previous post - Sergeant Preston should be Sergeant Preston of the Yukon.
Baby Snooks Show
Bob & Ray Show
Boston Blackie
The Creaking Door
Dr Kildare
Dragnet
Dr Christian’s Office
I Love A Mystery
The Judy Canova Show
Our Miss Brooks
Red Ryder
Richard
Diamond
Suspense
The Aldrich Family
Calling All Cars
The Falcon
Adventures of Phillip Marlowe
Superman
Buster Brown Gang
The Cisco Kid
Green Hornet
Lux Radio Theater
Life of Riley
Thin Man
The Whistler
Major Bowes Amateur Theater
Lights Out
I Love Adventure
Space Patrol
Story Lady
Gang Busters
Gene Autry Show
Kraft Music Hall
Amos & Andy
I Was a Communist For The FBI
The Saint
This is Your FBI
Captain Midnight
Terry And The Pirates
Camel Comedy Caravan
Straight Arrow
The Fat Man
Sam Spade

I must say that for a lot of these, I listened while I was under the covers supposedly sleeping.

4dk

Hanging wallpaper is grounds for divorce in every state and nation. I believe it's mentioned in the Code of Hammurabi.

MM