Sasha to make decision in spring. | Golden Skate

Sasha to make decision in spring.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
From the article:
"Cohen, 23, who has not skated competitively since the 2006 world championships, says she won't decide until the tour ends this spring whether to attempt a comeback to be ready for the 2010 Winter Olympics. "It's just one step at a time now," she says. "I'm not going to rush a decision...." "If my body holds up and I'm competitive, I'd love to be in Vancouver," she says....

Complete article from the BaltimoreSun, 1/13/08:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.sasha13jan13,0,4750727.story

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't even need to wait until the spring to know. :p

I will make a bold prediction: the answer will be NO and she will continue to skate professionally and act. :yes: Cause let's get real here, even if she wants it I just don't think her fragile body can hold up.

or even better: it won't be the spring but the summer or fall when she "decides" :p

ETA: After reading the article, Hamilton is completely right IMO- I think this suits her much more than competition. In a way it's good to hear that she's liking the tour because I think this is where she belongs.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
I have to agree - I'll be surprised if she returns to competition. I think she's found her niche on the show tour. She even looks much happier to me - and certainly more at ease to my way of thinking.

I know I'm more at ease watching her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
beautiful pic of her with the article.... one of my favorites.

Strange to hear that she is setting a deadline so to speak. why does she feel she has to announce anything until 2010 season? I am sure that she will not return, no matter what she says now, but i hope she keeps skating with SOI and continue bringing joy to thoudands of us skating fans.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Because she needs to skate the 2009 season to prepare for 2010 and she needs to train hard to come back ready for 2009.

IF Sasha does decide to come back for the next olympic games, she would never want to skate the whole 2008-2009 season as well. no way. She would do 2010 nationals...maybe not even that. She might ask for a bye of some sort.... and the olympics. But no way would she do next season.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't think there is any way that she can get a bye to anything after all this time. I am not sure if they can give her GP's that allow her to skip qualifying for nationals. She would have to go through regionals again. I think it would be a bad choice for her to try to return, but I wish her well.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
she would never want to skate the whole 2008-2009 season as well.

Maybe not the whole season but definitely Nationals and Worlds. If she doesn't do Worlds 2009 and the Grand Prix series for the 2010 season, the judges won't take her seriously.

I think she'll find that her niche is in show skating and will not return to competitive skating.

Fossi

Final Flight
I think she enjoys being the so-called star of SOI. If she returned she wouldn't necessarily be the star and she'd have to prove herself. IMO she just isn't competitive anymore and could never beat the younger girls. Good luck if hse does come back though.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If Sasha should return, doesn't she have a bye to Nats in either 2009 or 2010?

shanm

Rinkside
I don't think there is any way that she can get a bye to anything after all this time. I am not sure if they can give her GP's that allow her to skip qualifying for nationals. She would have to go through regionals again. I think it would be a bad choice for her to try to return, but I wish her well.

I don't think that she would have to skate at regionals or sectionals, but I think she would have to give a test skate of some sort like Kwan did in 2006.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm no expert here, but I'm pretty sure if Sasha wanted to come back, she would be starting from zero. Realistically, she would have to try for the '09 nationals, which means she would have to start training this summer.

pista04

On the Ice
Mhm. I Think thats the reason she's making her descision this spring; it'd give her the training time before Regionals/Sectionals, which I'd hope she'd do. It'd keep her respect.

And for some reason, I'd love to see her get like, 2nd and 3rd at sect/reg and then pull out a podium or win at nationals. hahah.

bruises

Rinkside
I'm pretty sure an olympic medalist automatically gets a bye to nationals until the next olympic games. Thus, Sasha doesn't need to do regionals/sectionals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But she would definately need to compete 09-10 season.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although Sasha´s skating was such a pleasure to watch in eligible skating, I think that she should go on with her show skating career. After all she is an Olympic silver medalist and realistically I don´t think that she could do better in next Olympics. She is a fantastic show skater, a real asset for SOI and she could continue that career for years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Her leaving SOI would be a bad idea not only for her, but for the show

however, whatever she feels she needs to do is best for her in the long run. If this solves her 'what ifs' then great.

Yay for Scotty quotes! :biggrin:

kandidy

Final Flight
I had to agree with you about hernot returning seems very possible. Anyway, i still have my finger crossed.

There is not much more an Amercian skater can dream in figure skating than star in SOI, if the competitive days are over. She has the best of one world, and I do not see any Amercian skater who could come along and take that from her, even an Olympic gold medalist. A very talented and pretty young lady is she.

As to acting when she is not playing herself, is she wanted by the producers? Imo, she will never reach the talents of Roberts or Foster not to mention Close and Streep, and I don't think given her personality she would want to be less.

So I would say stick with SOI and take sideline offers as they come by.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Although Sasha´s skating was such a pleasure to watch in eligible skating, I think that she should go on with her show skating career. After all she is an Olympic silver medalist and realistically I don´t think that she could do better in next Olympics. She is a fantastic show skater, a real asset for SOI and she could continue that career for years.

I agree with your post. Sasha seems genuinely happy right now. She is only 23 and has her whole life ahead of her with endless possibilities.