Music That Screams "USE ME!" | Golden Skate

Music That Screams "USE ME!"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
now I don't want the usual... "Carmen" or whatever... I'm saying stuff you don't normally see... Mozart's great... but I'm talking more modern.... it seems classical is where the skaters go, but there's so much more they could use!

I'd like to see someone use "Grissom's Suite" from CSI's soundtrack... it's enough for a Long Program, but could also be edited for a Short Program. Probably more for a men's program, but who knows :) It reminds me a lot of "Antares" only it's completely different...

I know there's a lot of us who want to see someone use the Pirates of the Caribean soundtrack... but I think someone will in the next season or two...

so what do you suggest?

Germanice

On the Ice
Most of you won't know most of the songs, since I'm a HUGE Sixties-Fan. However - here we go:

- Tonight, tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
- Exit music ... for a film - Radiohead
- House of the rising sun - The Animals
- Nights in white satin - The Moody Blues
- Nothing else matters - Metallica
- Sound of silence and/or Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel
- I put a spell on you - Them
- It's all over know, Baby Blue - Them
- Summertime - The Zombies
- You'll never walk alone - Gerry and the Pacemakers
- Almost ANYTHING by The Doors

And I WANT NOBODY BUT ALEXEI!!! (not Urmanov, not Tikhonov!) skating to this particular kind of music!

In general I think a BLUES would suit him fine: It's slow (let's consider his hip, hehe!), passionate, ecxiting, melancholical, erotical and sexy ... :eek: Wouldn't it be very "special" to see that? ;)

Anke (old fashioned gal)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
- Sound of silence and/or Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel

Sounds of Silence was used by the Stars On Ice Cast in 1999/2000, I believe... it was the year before Scott retired from the show

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I love:

*Respighi's Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, and Roman Festivals
*Bernstein's "Candide" - Overture and Make Our Garden Grow
*Glory: Score by James Horner
*Dances With Wolves - John Barry (Think B&E used part of this in 92). Whole score is brilliant
*A Walk In The Clouds by Maurice Jarre
*Anything by Chick Corea that can be skated to

IDLERACER

Medalist
Two obvious ones: Jethro Tull's "Skating Away (On The Thin Ice Of A New Day)" and Billy Joel's "Running On Ice."

Vash01

Medalist
Music from:

'The English patient',
'Crouching tiger hidden dragon',
'The Pianist'

'Remembering Moscow' by Ennio Morricone

"Can't stop loving that man" from the Broadway musical 'Showboat'

That's all I can think of right now.

Vash

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
Music screaming "use me!"

Germanice -

Couldn't agree more about the Smashing Pumpkins and The Doors. I always wanted to see someone use "Touch Me", but then I think I read in a past issue of BOI that someone once did. Can't remember who now. Also agree about Radiohead's "Exit music ... for a film". I'd also like to see someone use "Lucky", and maybe even "Creep".

I also think Agnesta (sp) Holland's soundtracks for "Olivier Olivier" and to a lesser extent "Europa Europa" would be fabulous to skate to for a competitive program. I'd love to skate to the former!

I'd also like to see someone use REM's "I've been High"
And maybe INXS "Never tear us apart"

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of, but I know I must be far from alone in often hearing music of all sorts that has yet to be utilised (at least in the elite ranks) and designing programs to it!!!

Best, Lilia

sk8m8

Final Flight
music that begs...

I'd love to see someone skate to Gato Barberi's version of Europa. It's a very passionate piece that uses a great sax riff for the melody line.

I'd also like to see someone skate to Thomas Dolby's " The Voyage of the Mind's Eye" from a collection of CGI animation shorts by the same name. The song is haunting and beautiful.

I've always been very fond of the scoring of the music from the TV series STARGATE. The main theme could be interwoven with the incidental music for a complete skating program.

Though I'm sure it's been used ( or at least some of it) anything by Aaron Copeland would be great. The sycopation and timing would have to be perfect to pull it off and would require skater(s)with true mastery ( Kurt Browning, B&S, Yuka or Michelle)

Finally, OUT OF AFRICA score is beautiful and lyrical. Selections from this piece would be wonderful skating music.

I'm still praying that Michelle will pull out Claire de Lune and see what she could do with it. Just a thought.

icenut84

Final Flight
Re: Music screaming "use me!"

ballerinagrl said:
I'd also like to see someone use REM's "I've been High"
And maybe INXS "Never tear us apart"

Elvis Stojko used that INXS song (plus another one) in the 96 Worlds exhibitions.

Vash01

Medalist
"......Finally, OUT OF AFRICA score is beautiful and lyrical. Selections from this piece would be wonderful skating music...."

Claudia Leistner skated an exhibition to Out of Africa at the 1988/89 Skate America.

Vash

IDLERACER

Medalist
Paul Wylie once did skate to the Door's "Touch Me." It was on one of those "Battle Of The Sexes" television specials in the mid 90s.

coppelia

Spectator
Vash01 said:
"......Finally, OUT OF AFRICA score is beautiful and lyrical. Selections from this piece would be wonderful skating music...."

Claudia Leistner skated an exhibition to Out of Africa at the 1988/89 Skate America.

Woetzel & Steuer did a pro number to the Out of Africa theme. They only used it a couple times as a technical program at a few competitions. Beautiful music and they used it very well.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I'd like to see skaters use just about anything by Booker T & the MGs, but a tune called "Hip Hug Her" in particular. I think that would make a really groovy program. :cool:

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I was in a big tap number to the overture of the musical 42nd Street (my high school's version of it, at least!) and I've often wondered how it could be translated into skating. A lot of people refer to "tap dancing on ice" (Yagudin etc) but I've never been able to find anything in common between the two! ;) But I'd love to see someone use this piece of music, and a lot of other ones from lesser known musicals (Kiss Me Kate, etc).

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
you guys will probably say no way, but a song on the last red hot chillies pepper cd cabron and tear, actually during nationals or worlds I am not sure which one they did a fluff piece on sasha and used cabron it has a spanish sound to it.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" From Les Miserables. Lots of LesMis has been done, but this particular song has not, and it would be PERFECT for a short program. It has the right swells and crescendos. I can see where the footwork would be. It would be perfect.

Kat

Pookie

Final Flight
I thought a great exhibition number for a dance team would be
Brooks and Dunn's "My Heart is Lost to You". I know, it's a country song but it still has a great dance rhythm to it. And it is a great song.

J

Jané

I would love to see someone skate to Moon River. Yes I am obsessed with Breakfast at Tiffany's. But I think that it would be really cool if one of the ladies picked Moon River for their LP. And I don't care if Josee did do it. I wasn't a FS fan when she used that music.

Janelle