Hersh Article: Announces TV Hosts for Nationals, Kwan Interested in Commentating | Golden Skate

Hersh Article: Announces TV Hosts for Nationals, Kwan Interested in Commentating

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hersh Article: Announces TV Hosts for Nationals, Kwan Interested in Commentating

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=2&cset=true

[NBC] will announce Wednesday that Bob Costas will be host of what longtime skating producer David Michaels called "almost an NFL-type pregame show," with former skaters Dick Button, Jamie Sale and David Pelletier as contributors. Costas and Button will close the telecasts with commentary.

"I'm experimenting here," Michaels said of his plans for the three Jan. 26 and Jan. 27 shows, two in prime time.

I had a funny feeling Costas would be appearing in this one. Whatever NBC designates to be a big event, they have him play some role in the coverage.

About Kwan

If NBC wants to raise skating's visibility and ratings, wouldn't using the sport's biggest name over the last 15 years have made more sense than the same old, same old?

Why not Michelle Kwan?

"I'm definitely interested," Kwan said in a telephone interview.

That is a change from Kwan's attitude after she withdrew from the 2006 Olympics because of an injury.

Then, she declined an opportunity to work for NBC because she would have felt uncomfortable commenting on skaters she had been preparing to compete against. Now Kwan feels she has enough distance to be an objective observer.

"You have commentators that can be really critical and really mean, and I'm not that type of person," Kwan said. "You can say, 'Her leg was at an odd angle, and it doesn't look right,' or you can say, 'This looks ugly.' I will never be that kind of person that will criticize in a very negative way."

Michaels said he met with Kwan after NBC made a three-year deal as U.S. skating rights-holder last spring.

"I just felt like she was going to the University of Denver and was busy with that," Michaels said. "There are no closed doors with Michelle. There may be some time when she will be able to do things for us."

I still don't know how I feel about Kwan commentating...if that's what she wants to do, she NEEDS desperately to get some voice training. It can be tough to listen to her sometimes. jmo

That aside, like Hersh said, someone needs to explain this scoring system to us and maybe she's the one to offer some insight on it, help explain it to the viewers since she's had (very limited) experience with it.

And NBC cannot raise skating's popularity on its own. I keep saying that the USFS needs to promote skating as well...find some way to get the word out to those interested in skating.

Last edited:

ranjake

Final Flight
i guess i don';t care about her voice so much. i remember katia gordeeva commenting-and some saying her voice was distracting-but i was so interested in katia';s insights that her voice/accent didn';t bother me. i feel like i would like to hear michelles commentary/ regardless of her voice.

merrybari

Final Flight
Once again, thinking of setting my recorder before I leave for St. Paul:

Do we know if this "pre-game NFL type programming" will be part of the regular coverage already planned or a pre-event "special" in addition to it?

Sounds like NBC is really trying to get it's ducks in a row and give this some important coverage. About time. I was beginning to wonder.

I still don't know how I feel about Kwan commentating...if that's what she wants to do, she NEEDS desperately to get some voice training. It can be tough to listen to her sometimes. jmo

We know how you feel about Kwan and your opinion has not changed one iota. You did mention it would be nice to have Sasha do the commentating as a sideline to her SOI. That would be nice too.

That aside, like Hersh said, someone needs to explain this scoring system to us and maybe she's the one to offer some insight on it, help explain it to the viewers since she's had (very limited) experience with it.
Anyone, not necessarily a skater can explain the CoP if they took the time to read it. I wonder if you have? I would like to see TT do the commentating.

Joe

Last edited:
Once again, thinking of setting my recorder before I leave for St. Paul:

Do we know if this "pre-game NFL type programming" will be part of the regular coverage already planned or a pre-event "special" in addition to it?

Sounds like NBC is really trying to get it's ducks in a row and give this some important coverage. About time. I was beginning to wonder.
Set it carefully. I did not do it carefully once, and when I returned home I had hours of hockey and basketball.:rolleye:

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I hope she does it but of course I am biased. I would love to see Michelle at Nationals. Commentating would be a way for her to be involved in skating and good for the ratings not to mention her fans.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I think it will be great to see Jamie and David doing the "pre game" show. They did a great job with thier show during the Olympics!!! On the other hand...I am not sure how I feel about seeing Dick Button. I was getting used to hearing Paul Wylie.....this I will have to think about.

merrybari

Final Flight
Set it carefully. I did not do it carefully once, and when I returned home I had hours of hockey and basketball.:rolleye:

Joe

ARGHH!!! That's a scary thought.

I have the added complication that with my digital cable service the channel has to be set to what is being recorded i.e. we can't watch one thing while recording another. I almost commited homicide - JK - one year when my kids changed the channel while I was recording and all I got was a couple of hours of sports fishing! :cool:

Another complication is that I think we're one of the only families in America - if not the world, that only has one TV. If anyone touches it after I figure out how to set my recorder I may be watching my next skating competition from SingSing instead of the arena!! Again - JK!

Seriously, thanks Joe for the advice.

I'll be sure to check and double check all settings carefully. AND maybe see if I can enlist a friend to record for me too - just as backup. Am I obsessed or what? Course, if I am, I'm in great company here. :clap:

merrybari

Final Flight
No, just a skating fan LOL :chorus:

You're right about that! The others think we're off our rockers, choctaws, not withstanding! Think I'll take a tape to my son's and see if I can snare him to do it. He's pretty cool about his mom's obsessions. :agree:

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to the Hersh commentary, NBC plans to make their public announcement of the broadcasting plans later today! Stay Tuned!

NBC... Sign Her (Michelle), Today! :agree:

merrybari

Final Flight
According to the Hersh commentary, NBC plans to make their public announcement of the broadcasting plans later today! Stay Tuned!

NBC... Sign Her (Michelle), Today! :agree:

I'm tuned.

I second that! Yesterday would've been even better. Seems like they said no for her by not asking instead of asking and letting her decide. She'd've said "yes" and skating fans everywhere would've been well served as would the sport. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
We know how you feel about Kwan and your opinion has not changed one iota. You did mention it would be nice to have Sasha do the commentating as a sideline to her SOI

Excuse me...I did NOT say that. Cohen also has a scratchy voice and she'd be an even worse choice than MK IMO. But if they got serious voice training, they might have some insight that the others don't since they've done Cop competitions.

To make a long story short: I'm not hot on either of them getting behind the booth, quite frankly.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bob Costos has such a big ego and he can be such a smartass. I use the mute button a lot with him. As for Michelle, well I'd love to hear her commentating.

ciroc83

Rinkside
Kwan is definitely my favorite… but her voice? Watching her interview on The View made me cringe.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well folks... once again we gain one bit of knowledge from this always ongoing debate.... there is NO ONE who will satisfy EVERYONE!

So, NBC... get smart and Sign Michelle... more will like her than not! LOL

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Personally, I'd love to see her commentate at Nationals... it would give the ratings a boost and that's always a good thing... plus it simply isn't Nationals without Michelle and something is better than nothing!
:)