Whom should I look for a podium spot? - Mens | Golden Skate

Whom should I look for a podium spot? - Mens

dewet

Final Flight
Lcp88, this is a Euos thread, not Worlds, if that's what your thinking.

W

woshingshen

Maybe Alexei if he's competing and Brian Joubert and Frederick Dambier and Stephane Lambiel.

icenut84

Final Flight
Any of the following: Evgeny Plushenko, Alexei Yagudin (if he competes), Alexander Abt, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Stanick Jeannette, Ilia Klimkin, and probably many more I've forgotten (not to mention dark horses) :)

dfj

On the Ice
Plushenko, Abt, Joubert, Yagudin (if he's there, which I doubt) - not in that particular order [and maybe Li]

dewet

Final Flight
dfj said:
Plushenko, Abt, Joubert, Yagudin (if he's there, which I doubt) - not in that particular order [and maybe Li]
Li won't be there, it is a Euro comp afterall.

alina

Rinkside
except Plushenko: Abt, Joubert, Klimkin, Lambiel

Does somebody know a link of the European Championships?

Alina

diver chick

On the Ice
Ivan Dinev (hey I can hope)

Seriously though there are so many medal contenders in Europe at the moment. Lambiel, Joubert, Jeanette, Vlaschenko, Klimkin, Timchenko and Davydov would be my main ones to watch

Matt

On the Ice
My Men's picks

Well, Plushenko is pretty much a lock for the gold...but other than that...

I would watch Joubert; definitely has the technical potential and the ability to get to the podium (2nd last year). Inconsistent this year on the GP, but still a factor.

Abt has been able to answer in the long program, so I don't think he'll be there (didn't he say last year that he was retiring?)

Dambier had a great showing at Cup of Russia (from what I heard; I couldn't get to the TV in time for that one ;-), but could be a factor

American TV is too nationalistic, so I haven't seen or heard about Lambiel, but from what I've read, he has good spins and has been fairly consistent. He was 5th last year, so watch him closely

My pick (and my favorite all season) for a podium is Kevin van der Perren (Belgium). He was 5th at Skate Canada, 2nd at Lalique, 4th at the GP Final, and very consistent from what I've seen with his triples (especially the triple salchow-triple toe-triple loop, which is excellent). I will be very surprised if he doesn't get on the podium.

Other to watch: Murvanidze (Georgia) always gets in there, Davydov (Belarus) was in the Final Group at Worlds (not all that great this year) and will probably contend.

Those are my picks. If you want a podium guess
1. Plushenko RUS
2. van der Perren BEL
3. Joubert FRA

Matt

On the Ice
Sorry--I'm going off of what I'm getting from American TV coverage and the competition results I've seen. Lambiel made quite a move last year, so he could very well be there.

Kasey

Medalist
HMMMMM....

I'm thinking that Plush is not a lock for gold, or even a medal, at this point. I'm also thinking he maybe will skip one competition, either Euro's or Russian nats (probably more likely nationals), to rest the knee a bit and be more prepared for Worlds.

Hmmmm, so then, my 'dream podium'....

1. Joubert
2. Abt
3. Lambiel

I'm sure that will not be reality! But, I'm looking forward to seeing how close that gets! ;)

Kasey

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Picks...

1. Plushenko
2. van der Perren
3. Joubert
4. Abt
5. Griazev, Klimkin, or Timchenko
6. Lambiel
7. Vlascenko
8. Davydov
9. Dambier
10. Jeannette (can France send 3 to Euros? if not...then) or Ivan the Bulgarian (I am blanking out on his last name)
11. Smalun
12. Wilson
13. Lindemann
14. Chiper
15. Toth
16. Zelenka
17. Tupikov
18. Jonas
19. Turkalov

Matt

On the Ice
thisthingcalledlove, I'm impressed that you thought this out that far down the standings!:p You may not be that far off on many of them either.

Btw, Dinev is the last name of the Bulgarian skater you're trying to think off. Ivan Dinev.