Whom should I look for a podium spot? - Mens | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Whom should I look for a podium spot? - Mens

swissskate

Rinkside
Despite his 3rd place at the French Nationals, Jeanette's not been selectioned for the Europeans. The third skater from France will be Damien Djordjevic. The 2 alternates are Samuel Contesti and Alban Préaubert.

brenlynn

On the Ice
kevin van der perren, i think will be quite the threat in the men's field. i am really looking forward to seeing him grow in the next couple seasons leading up the olympic year!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm thinking Plushenko's not going to be there, either, due to the knee. If he isn't, things are going to get very interesting. I'd like to see Dinev on the podium myself, but the way he's been skating the last couple of seasons, I'm really doubting it. (He always seems to do better in the first half of the season than the last half anyway).

I have had the thought, however, that without Plushenko, then a possible podium could be Joubert, van der Perren, and Dambier -- and will that or will that not be the best-looking podium ever in the history of men's figure skating???:love:

Tove

On the Ice
Joubert, Dambier, Klimkin, Griazev (if he gets there), I think it's quite open....

spoke with Dambier at Cup of Russia and he promised me a fab skate in Budapest, so I can't wait!

Think it's much unlikely anyone will beat Plushy for the gold...

dream podium:

1.Davydov, 2.Dambier, 3.Dinev
in my dreams....

Kati

On the Ice
Plushy was spot on at the Russian nationals this night, getting 10 x 6.0 on presentation!! He is going for the another European title... Ilia Klimkin and young Andrei Griazev are going there, too! Pity that Sasha Abt had to withdraw...
Brian Joubert and Stephane Lambiel will be favourites for the medals, too.

windspirit

On the Ice
As much as I like Griazev, I don't think he'll be on the podium. If he's 5th, it'll be very good (hey, I was hoping for fourth at Russian Nats, and he took the bronze :D ). He is not consistent. But it'll be a great learning experience for him.

kasia16

On the Ice
My men podium prediction:

1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Brian Joubert
3. Ilia Klimkin/ or Kevin van der Perren

MY hoping:

1. Brian Joubert
2. Kevin van der Perren
3. Plush

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Lambiel made quite a move last year, so he could very well be there.

I'm confused. Lambiel was 4th at 02 Euros and 5th at 03 Euros.

I would say that Plushy not finishing first is a 2 step process, the other guy would have to be perfect AND Plushy would have to make mistakes both. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

The other 2 spots are left up to Jubert, Klimkin, van der Perrin, Lambiel, Dambier, and Dinev to battel over. All are pretty inconsistant: fabulous one day, train wrecks the next.

berthes ghost said:
I'm confused. Lambiel was 4th at 02 Euros and 5th at 03 Euros.
[/QUOTE

I believe we were thinking of his showing in DC Worlds which was quite a feat for him. But you are right about Plushenko and the rest of the field. Unfortunately Lambiel falls into that category of being superb or just another bomb.

Joe]

brenlynn

On the Ice
well... unless some problems van der perren is having with the belgian federation get worked out, he won't be attended the competition... as of now he's not on the competitors list and it's past the dead line :\

apparently the federation forgot to turn his papers in, what idiots!

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
apparently the federation forgot to turn his papers in, what idiots!

:eek:

This just can't be true. I just can't believe it. They only have 2 skaters and Sarah Falatico never does better than 20somethingth. Kevin is their ONLY chance at a Euro medal, how could his paperwork not be thier top priority? I just don't believe it. :eek:

brenlynn

On the Ice
the webmistress of his official site said that was what the problem was on his official message board. i know it sounds totally fishy and odd, and i personally hope it's not true because i think kevin could definetly pull off a top 3 finish.

Tove

On the Ice
really??? if this is the case his fed is total amateurs!! Kevin is a good skater, I want him in Budapest......

dewet

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
:eek:

This just can't be true. I just can't believe it. They only have 2 skaters and Sarah Falatico never does better than 20somethingth. Kevin is their ONLY chance at a Euro medal, how could his paperwork not be thier top priority? I just don't believe it. :eek:
Actually, they have three skaters, Sara Falotico, Win Hermans, and Kevin Van der Perren. I've read that they didn't turn in all THREE of the athletes' paperwork.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Honestly. What does the Belgian federation do, operate out of a coffee shop 4 hours on alternate Sundays or something?? How much can they possibly have to keep track of? Poor Kevin; I was really looking forward to seeing him at Euros.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Actually, they have three skaters, Sara Falotico, Win Hermans, and Kevin Van der Perren.

I didn't know that they were sending Win. He only competed in Juniors at Nats, and although he won, it wasn't really saying much as he only had one rival and both skated very poorly. His performance wouldn't do well at a junior comp, senior Euros will eat him alive. Well, it is experience and I'm sure he'll do better than no one.

What does the Belgian federation do, operate out of a coffee shop 4 hours on alternate Sundays or something??

:laugh: Yeah, but a coffee shop in Holland. ;)

I'm still shell shocked. :eek: