Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Gay Marriage

Since this is a topic that's in the news quite frequently these days I was wondering what everyone's opinions on the matter are.

I have no problem with it whatsoever. Who is to say what legally defines marriage? If people love each other from the same sex why are they not entitled to the same things as straight people?

It's time for anti-gay groups, the Vatican, and others, to move into the 21st century before time completely passes them by.

An interesting and timely thread, Mike. My dictionary defines marriage as "to take as one's husband or wife", but it also says "to join closely or unite". If you apply the second definition, same sex marriages fall into that category.

If couples of any sex are committed to each other, I can see why a legal bond would be beneficial in case of illness or the death of one partner. It would establish inheritance and legitamize a will.

Custom Title
    I agree, Show. It is a means to make things easier financially, etc.

People who are against gay marriage are perfectly entitled to their opinions. But is it right to deny certain groups of people what other groups are legally allowed to do? From a certain viewpoint it is almost another form of segregation.

The Catholic basis against gay marriage stems from the bible supposedly condemning homosexuality. That is all that Catholicism can say to back up this thinking. It seems like a contradiction since the Bible says to love everyone equally.

I applaud the Canadian government's advances in this area. With Ontario and BC legalizing gay marriage, it will most likely be legal nationwide before too long. I hope the US will somehow follow this path.

I think if two people love each other they should be able to get married.

No problem. It's been going on since time immemorial. It's just that now its being legalized. So what? gambling is. divorce is, illegitimate children are. Straights have their share of sin. taxes are whether gay or straight. And the beat goes on.

Joe

IMO gay couples should be able to get married and I don't have a problem with them using the word 'marriage' as well. Btw, there's an interesting discussion on the subject at FSU right now.

Joe wrote:
    [...] illegitimate children
    That reminded me... There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents. I don't remember who said it, but I love that quote.

I certainly don't have a problem with gay marriages. If 2 people love each other and are consenting adults, they should be able to be married.

I'm kinda surprised Bush has stated that he's against it. Next year is an election year (so fast) and I certainly don't understand the polls. He's in a tight position - poor economy, Iraq quagmire, Liberia position, etc. Doesn't seem like the right time to alienate a group of people.

I know he stated that he would accept 'civil unions', but did not want to call it marriage. I think it's up to the church, synagogue or whatever authority to decide what to recognize as marriage from their standpoint. His position can only be from a legal standpoint - so, what's the diff between a legal marriage and a civil union? Sounds like rhetoric on Bush's part.

Anyway - I don't want to start a political bonfire. I'm just expressing my personal opinion of an article I read about Bush's standpoint.

Custom Title
    I have no problem with them, and frankly, I'd like to know why this is such a big issue. Don't states have better things to worry about then wether or not two people of the same sex should be legally joined? I'm sure AIDS plays a factor, but even so, its not like AIDS can't be controlled by education and safe sex. IMHO, if two people what to get married, it really shoudn't be up to the law/church to decide if they can or not.
    Laura

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu

Gay Marriage

I guess Kevin and I are pretty lucky. We've been together for just over twelve years. We are very close. For all practical purposes are married and treated as a married couple. Most of our friends are straight. Actually, I am not really, comfortable in gay enviroments. Anyway, except for television, I never give any thought to being dislilked or disapproved because we are gay. We don't feel we are treated any differently then anyone else. I wouldn't say that I have never been named called. Whenever they show theis gay pride festivalson TV, you see all of these transvestites, men dressed in leather thongs, nipple piercings. I have wondered if this is what people think we might do? it's same for shows like Will and Grace. We straight people think that we are all shallow people who have insatiable sex drives?
    Daniel and Kevin and Little Lulu

I don't think Bush really gives a damn about gays getting formerly married (think of the increase in the economy). However, he owes a lot to the christian fundamentalists who gave him their vote. He owes these religious people who have their own way of reading the bible. OK for straights to get married and divorced. They apparently sin but it's not important.

Joe

TriGirl Rinkside
    I agree with whoever said that if two people love one another and want to get married, they should be able to so. I simply don't understand why people care who gets married - and it doesn't affect anyone aside from the two being married. Every couple should have the right to do as they please.

I keep on fallin' for Kwan
    No problem also. Love's gotta show around.

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu

Gay Marriage

I am Roman Catholic. I am familiar with the Church's position on this issue. I do not agree with the Church on these issues. Now the Episcopal Church is considering a gay Bishop. They recognize and accept gay and transgender persons in their church. The Episcopalian Church and the Roman Catholic Church have some connection that I don't clearly understand. For example, the Bishop of our diocese is also ordained in the Episcopal Church. What I would like to understand is how one Christian domination can see homosexuality as a mortal sin and another has no problem with it. I know it’s not mentioned in the Ten Commandments and it’s not one of the seven deadly sins. I wonder how the Jews feel on this position?
    Daniel and Little Lulu

Custom Title
    I've got enough to worry about at my own house that I don't worry about what other people are doing at their houses. What people do with their private lives is their own business and they shouldn't have to answer to anyone but their partner and their conscience.
    Unless I think my next door neighbor is involved with child abuse or animal abuse or neglect, I think I should mind my own business.

Religion and politics

About religion

Kzarah, the objection of some religion people to homosexuality is based on scriptures such as Leviticus 18:22, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind" (presumably this commandment is addressed to the men in the audience, LOL.)

The same book also commands: Don't cut your hair or shave your beard (Leviticus 19:27); Don't get a tattoo (Leviticus 19:28 ); Don't eat rabbits (Leviticus 11:5-6) or oysters (Leviticus 11:12; grasshoppers are OK, though, Leviticus 11:22).

We are also supposed to kill goats in sacrifice (Leviticus, ch. 16), and every 50 years give back to the original owner all the land that we bought from him (Leviticus 25:10 ), and lots of other stuff.

Joe, about "illegitimate children":

Deuteronomy 23:2 says that they "shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to the 10th generation."

The next verse (Deuteronomy 23:3) goes on: "An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to their 10th generation "

This is because the Ammonites and the Moabites hired Balaam the son of Beor to cast a curse on the people of God (v. 4). It doesn't say exactly what the "illegitimate children" did wrong -- presumably something just as wicked.

Well, it's easy to make fun of ancient tribal religious practices in the light of modern times, modern customs and a more fully realized understanding of God.

About politics

President Bush is laying low on issues of concern to conservatives and the religious right. He has little to say in public about gay marriage, abortion, etc., even though his private views are well known. I think this is because he does not want to go too far right and cede the center to the Democrats.

He also does not want the economy to become an issue, for obvious reasons, LOL.

His re-election strategy will be, I am pretty sure, to wrap himself in the flag and offer himself as the heroic champion in the war on terrorism. No weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq, and the people there don't seem to be welcoming the American troops as liberators. Nevertheless, Mr. Bush can say that he showed his determination to use force of arms to punish any country (Afghanistan and Iraq so far) that is suspected of condoning terrorist activity or of harboring terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if around this time next year our intelligence agencies discover that either Syria or Iran suddenly poses an intolerable threat to U.S. national security.

This strategy will almost certainly carry the day and gain Bush a second term, IMHO.

Mathman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast