Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gay Marriage

Custom Title
    Originally posted by JOHIO2
    As for role models.....a child who gets the basics of love and caring and ethics should have the tools to adjust to a lack of a father or mother. I think all children are better off with parents. Period.
    I agree, children who receive the basics of love and caring and ethics should have the tools to adjust. I think this even applies to orphans. Role models are important, but if there are no real life role models there are still heros.

Mathman said

Boys that grow up in homes without fathers, for instance, have a hard time learning what it is to be a man. Disproportionately, they end up as troubled teenagers or adult criminals. (Speaking of Chauvinism, sociologists and behavioral psychologists have not devoted nearly as much effort to studying the effects of girls growing up in a home where one parent is absent. They're only girls, after all, why waste our money studying their problems.)

A bit off topic here
    I don't follow sociologists research, I know in real life people who grew up without fathers, they have done real well, and defy the statistics. Perhaps sociologists should study these folks and find out the secret to their resiliency.

I think if we look at the leaders movers and shakers in history, many of them were half or full orphans.

President Lincoln's mother died when he was 6. Joan of Arc lost her parents at a young age. How about Moses, technically his biological father was alive, but not available.

On topic gay marriage, I really have no comment and conclusion currently.
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-06-2003 at 06:11 PM.

What about the childfen in dysfunctional familes. You know, prostitution, alcoholism, drugs, etc. You have the father and mother but ....... or the mother who really has not yet grown up to be a mother but is overly concerned about herself and a father who is so absorbed in his work......

The bottom line is the child who grows up with loving parents whether straight or gay has the best chance to succeed in life and will continue this love to his/her own family when he/she becomes a parent.

Joe

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    What about the childfen in dysfunctional familes. You know, prostitution, alcoholism, drugs, etc. You have the father and mother but .....
    Some resilient ones can rise above that too. I know someone who grew up sitting in front of the bars waiting for her parents and turned out to be a very nice person and successful attorney.

About children growing up with gay parents, intuitively I agree. Are there any data to support our intuition?

Custom Title

I agree gay marriage should be legal

Like a song once said 'What the world needs now is love sweet love'. If two people want to commit their lives to one another, to love and support each other go for it! We need all the love support and compassion we can get. I also support gay adoption. If they meet the standards let them adopt. The more loving supportive parents there are for foster kids the better!

re: fatherless sons - has any studies compared orphened sons vs. sons of divorced parents? is the divorce more traumatic than total lack of male parent? Just curious as though much of human history kids have been raised up with one parent gone for various reasons. Mothers often died during childbirth. Fathers died in war. either or both parents died in epidemics. The human race has survived. I can't help but think that kids raised by homosexual parents of the opposite sex to the child have as good a chance as any at a healthy up bringing. Also like another pointed out what about aunts and uncles not to mention grandparents to model behavior?

re: child abusers - I refuse the use the term pedophile as phile = love. child sexual abusers are vile horrible criminals. they are predators utterly lacking in love. I once read the stats on child sexual abuse and the majority of abuse was male on female with fathers and stepfathers as the top abusers. males who abuse boys are no more homosexual than males who abuse girls are straight!

Another thing - there are a small number of people born every year who are not exactly male or female. They are called intersexed. Doctors and parents often make a choice that the child should be 'fixed' to be more female than male and remove the parts that make them otherwise. the problem is these kids grow up to not fit in with the gender that was chosen for them. but back to gay marriage -what is the law to do when someone who is genetically inbetween wants to marry? What of those who are genetically male but develop into females outwardly due to a genetic defect that is only detected when the girl does not get 'the curse'?

One more thing - convicted criminals can marry even if they are on death row. Murders and rapists. people who have beaten their spouses half to death can marry yet homosexuals who have committed no crimes can't.

rturek - Rosie O'Donnel's kids will grow up totally in good shape. Rosie seems to be more interested in parenting than show biz. I know of two guys whom I believe want to make sure everything is going well that they tend to be doting parents. Their adopted daughter is busy with piano and ballet lessons; the boy is in Little League. Sad, but both kids get made fun of for having two dads.

I think it beats forster homes which in many cases is used for the income.

Joe

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu

Gay Marriage

I wonder how many in the forum are of the homosexual persuasion? Should we take a poll?
    Daniel and Little Lulu
    PS
    Little Lulu does have a new boyfriend. It is a platonic relationship. Not only is Little Lulu unable to purr, she doesn't seem to be interested in either gender that way.
    D & L

There was avery interesting piece on National Public Radio yesterday about the family pride week in Provincetown. It's all about gay parents and their adopted children. Very enlightening. I guess after hearing the whole show the only gay adoption that I still have a problem with is gay males adopting girls.

Custom Title

An ethicist point of view on Gay Marriage

Custom Title

Another perspective on Marriage re:procreation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3