Your rink's claim to fame | Golden Skate

Your rink's claim to fame

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I skate at Lynnwood Ice Center near Seattle, and one can't help but notice the big "HOME OF ROSALYNN SUMNERS" sign right underneath the hockey scoreboard. Seattle Skating Club is predominantly based out of another rink, but does have some activities at mine, and it has a few up-and-comers right now (a dance couple I think - junior? maybe).

I was wondering about the rinks everyone else skates at. Where do you skate? Have there been any "big stars" who skated in the same place as you? Any rising stars?

(PS: I have over 50 posts now and had to show off my new Plushy avatar, hee.)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
RACHEL: Nice avatar...don't hear that everyday, do ya?

Claim to fame for rinks...well, I skate at the Jones Center For Families. To my knowledge it is the only facility like it in the entire country...at least that is what I have been told. Here is why we are unique:

(This is all from memory, and it is way early, so I will try to get the facts straight)
There was a couple named Benice and Harvey Jones that owned Jones Truck Lines out of Springdale, Arkansas. The company was either sold, dissolved, or went out of business...I am not sure of the exact events. Mr. and Mrs. Jones converted the old truck terminal into a community center. This place is amazing. It features the Joel Caver Ice Arena, a swimming center with kiddie pool, slide, and Olympic size pool, a computer lab, conference rooms, food court, senior center, and free classes....and the facility is free. The only things I pay for are my club dues, and coaching fees. People come and skate for free...no skate rental fee. They swim for free, they take classes for free (unless there is a materials fee). The only require which is posted on the door is this: 'All Are Wlecome Who Behave As Ladies, And Gentlemen. NO EXCEPTIONS.' It is the cleanest facility that I have ever skated in, and the best ice. It feels like home, and the people there are so nice. To my knowledge, the only famous person that skated there was Tara Lipinski (however you spell her name). It was not widely known, and the rink was actually closed that day, I think. Since we are not a for profit rink, we are closed Sunday and Monday. I help out where I can, like cleaning up, helping with skate camp, volunteerig behind the skate counter, and just promoting our sport in the most positive way that I can. We have been given a great gift, and I am so thankful for it. Here is a link, if you want all the exact details:

www.jonesnet.org

Last edited:

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Gosh, I'm afraid our rink doesn't seem to boast any of those "Home of ... " signs. I'm not sure why, because I think it is held in high enough regard in the midwest area in terms of its programs. But maybe we do not really attract the high-level coaches.

We DO seem to promote our spacious lobby and large concession stand, though! :D

The next closest rink in Vernon Hills is the Glacier Ice Arena, "home of Natalie Mecher, 2003 U.S. Junior Ladies Silver Medalist."

The one time I went to skate there, Natalie herself was on the ice practicing, making me feel like I skate at about .005 mph. She was awesome--was working on her triple lutz.

P.S. Rachel, the new avatar is very becoming!

aly*cutie

On the Ice
I skate at Center Ice Arena, we don't have any famous people skate there, but we are pretty good. We once had a competition at Lauren Thomas's home rink.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Let's see -- my primary rink can boast the 2002 Adult Masters National Champion, and quite a few synchro sucesses (Gems on Ice).

My second rink is owned by Jeff Daniels.

My other rink has no claim to fame - it is an old city owned rink. I think it is my favorite ice, except that I hope they build up the lutz corner a bit better this next year. I was hitting bottom by the end of last year (they don't have year round ice).

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
As I'm not skating I can't input anything.... but I wanted to ask if you might say where your rink is. As I'm not a north american it's hard to tell - and it sure would be interesting.....

sk8er1964

On the Ice
tdnuva said:
As I'm not skating I can't input anything.... but I wanted to ask if you might say where your rink is. As I'm not a north american it's hard to tell - and it sure would be interesting.....

My rinks are all in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area in Michigan. I do skate occasionally at Ann Arbor - talk about impressive kids!!! Wow, it is something else to be on the ice with kids doing strong, fast triple jumps and super good dances!

BTW, are you German born? I took several years of German language study in high school, most of which I have lost through lack of use, and have visited Germany twice. What a beautiful country! Let's see -- my verbal is much better than my written -- Deutschland ist sehr schon! Is that anywhere close to Germany is very beautiful????

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Being from a very small, private club, we haven't had any elite skaters or such. Well we did have one, but she left the year before she won the Novice Ladies title at Nationals. I've had Brasseur and Eisler practice at my club, and have had Higgins and Rice perform as guest skaters at the carnival, but that's as close to fame as we've gotten.

tdnuva

On the Ice
sk8er1964 said:
BTW, are you German born? I took several years of German language study in high school, most of which I have lost through lack of use, and have visited Germany twice. What a beautiful country! Let's see -- my verbal is much better than my written -- Deutschland ist sehr schon! Is that anywhere close to Germany is very beautiful????

Yes, I'm German and still living in Germany. :D

And your translation was fine - except one letter. But that one is not on your keyboard, I'm sure... ;)

"Deutschland ist sehr schön."
Germany is very beautiful.

On behalf of my home country - thanks for the compliment. :D

CartDi

Rinkside
I usually skate at the Yerba Buena Ice Skating Center in San Francisco. Nothing big there, really. Brian Boitano skates there in the wee hours of the morning when he's in town(he has a place in SF), and also teaches children's classes occasionally. I haven't heard anyone at the rink boasting about it though, hehee. And when COI was in San Jose a few months ago, Elvis Stojko came to get in some extra practice time, and even stayed to skate around during the public session. No one recognized him except for me, maybe. Hah! :p

Lanie

On the Ice
I skate at the Easy Street Arena, where Tiffany Chin coaches; we've got Bebe Liang and Danielle Kahle at our rink as well as some other amazing skaters I don't know of. But they're doing triples! :)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Mine has no claim to fame, just a bunch of nice people coaching and skating there, and that's all you need!!! :) :agree:

icedream

Rinkside
Nicole Bobek skated at my skating rink when she first started. If you know him, Shani Davis also speed skated there. He went to the olympics for speed skating... and my rink got 9th place out of 1 hundred sometime at ISI worlds.

Lcp88

On the Ice
Ummmm, well, Lisa Horstman, who was very good on the novice level and recently came in 2nd at the 03 Collegiate National Championships, skated at my rink for a long time before going off to college. That's about it...
Laura

singerskates

On the Ice
My club, at the moment until I switch clubs in order to get a longer fall/winter season, Riverside SC is where Jennifer Robinson began to learn to skate and continued to skate until she was 13 and then had to find a bigger pad of ice in Barrie at Mariposa Winter Club. Riverside still has her pictures up in the showcase of her when she was a kid. My doctor's office has her mom working there and they're very pro Jennifer.

Where I am thinking about joining, Champions Training Centre/Club Tecumseh, novice men's skater Daniel Miller presently skates. I'll also get an NHL size rink when I switch instead of the rinky dink Riverside rink that I skated in this passed season.

Where I use to skate, Windsor FSC, juvenile pair skater Denis Ma still skates in the fall/winter.

ouridol

On the Ice
Hmm..let me see..my rink is the home of Katy Taylor, Andrea Gardiner, and used to be for Jennifer Don, and it still is for Tara Lipinski. You can take lessons with Tara, 130 dollars for half-hour. I always skate with her when she comes which is almost every summer, you're bound to catch her if you ever come to my rink.

icedream

Rinkside
ohh i just found out that ben agosto skated at the rink i skate at. Actually i have a video of him from 1993 (its my uncle's)l.

TwipGirl

Spectator
I skate at a county-owned rink in Northern Michigan. what's nice is that it's usually not very crowded, and sometimes I'm the only skater on the ice!!!!

As far as well-known skaters go, I've never seen anyone there at a higher level than intermediate, but their skills still amaze me!